How do I move tab groups between windows?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SHODAN

How do I move tab groups between windows?

Post by SHODAN »

I upgraded to Firefox 4, and I now have tab groups in three separate windows. How do I move tab groups between windows, to consolidate my three windows into one window with three tab groups?
smsmith

Re: How do I move tab groups between windows?

Post by smsmith »

Unfortunately, the only way I can figure out how to do that is:

By dragging the tabs from one window to the other.

Or, you can right click one of the tabs, choose "Bookmark All Tabs...", choose a folder name and where to store the folder, then close that window, go the window you want to move them to, create a new group, enter that group, and then go to your folder and choose "Open All in Tabs".
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

There's a little shortcut to that smsmith. After you create the bookmark folder with your tab group in it... press Shift while you click on the folder. That will automatically open a new Window with all of those tabs in it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
SHODAN

Post by SHODAN »

smsmith, thanks for trying. Do you know if it is possible to add this kind of behavior with an extension, or if it must be done in the core?

patrick, will that open them in a new tab group or window?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

SHODAN wrote:Do you know if it is possible to add this kind of behavior with an extension, or if it must be done in the core?

I believe this is on the table for Fx 5, which if you believe the hype, is going to be released in about 3 months. I haven't found an extension yet that adds it.

will that open them in a new tab group or window?

In whatever tab group you are in.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
SHODAN

Post by SHODAN »

I gave up trying to find a slick way to do this and I started to do it manually, but that caused more problems!

If I try to drag a tab from one window to another, which worked on 3.6.X, it opens a new tab it the target window, but it remains blank. What's worse, in the source window I can no longer select the tab I was trying to drag; it remains visible, but clicking the tab does not show that page.

In case you are wondering why I haven't done your second suggestion, I am trying to preserve the individual tab histories if I can. Also, why did they remove the "Bookmark All Tabs" command from the Bookmarks menu?
SHODAN

Post by SHODAN »

I suppose this could be done by manipulating sessionstore.js in the right way. Are there tools to help with that?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s-manager/

That extension claims that it can drag tab groups between windows.

Dragging tabs between windows has always worked fine for me. Maybe you've got an add-on interfering.

Bookmark all tabs was removed because it was little used during the Mozilla usability testing. It's in the tab context menu and also if you use ALT+B to invoke the bookmarks menu, it's available (but only by using ALT+B).
SHODAN

Post by SHODAN »

I restarted Firefox, not in safe mode, and I can now drag tabs. Apparently there was a bug, not an incompatibility at work before.

Thanks for helping me. In accordance with Teach a man to fish, where can I find information such as the Alt+B trick?

Also, it has been years since I opened the UserChrome file, but I seem to recall that changing menu items was once possible. Is this still the case?
SHODAN

Post by SHODAN »

I finally got all my tabs in the same window and grouped properly, but when I closed and restarted Firefox, they are all gone! Firefox 4 is starting to piss me off. Any idea what went wrong here?
bcts

Post by bcts »

use the Bookmark Current Tab Set function
SHODAN

Post by SHODAN »

bcts wrote:use the Bookmark Current Tab Set function

Where is that?
bcts

Post by bcts »

in the Menu bar, click Bookmarks, and there it is
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

SHODAN wrote:I finally got all my tabs in the same window and grouped properly, but when I closed and restarted Firefox, they are all gone! Any idea what went wrong here?

Do you have Fx set to open your windows and tabs from the previous session in the Options, General tab?

You might be able to get them back by going to History -> Restore Previous Session, provided you haven't closed Fx again.