Keyboard shortcut for Paste and Go?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
buggeer

Keyboard shortcut for Paste and Go?

Post by buggeer »

Hi,
Firefox 4 introduced the Paste and Go feature but I can't find a keyboard shortcut for it. If there isn't one, this feature is pretty much useless, so I hope that's just me being unable to find it...
Still, if there really is no shortcut, is it possible to create one with the (recently-updated-to-work-with-firefox-4) keyconfig extension?
ritclic

Re: Keyboard shortcut for Paste and Go?

Post by ritclic »

right click the URL box
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

So you say that I should press ALT+D, than that context menu key, then use arrows to select paste and go? No, thanks. That's something everyone know.
underscoreTom

Post by underscoreTom »

That is interesting that there's no mnemonic for Paste & Go
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

pay stan go wrote:http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/09/23/firefox-finally-gets-paste-and-go-in-ff4-nightly/

Another smart guy who haven't even read my post. But http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/Sonicbowling/TROLL.jpg
Keyboard...
Last edited by buggeer on March 28th, 2011, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,
buggeer wrote:Firefox 4 introduced the Paste and Go feature but I can't find a keyboard shortcut for it.

Frank Yan wrote:Access keys are not required for this, because this feature is specifically
being included for mouse-driven users.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=492544#c30

I use Ctrl+L, Ctrl+V, Enter for the address bar.
For the search bar, that would be Ctrl+K, Ctrl+V, Enter.
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

Access keys are not required for this, because this feature is specifically being included for mouse-driven users.

I use Ctrl+T, Ctrl+V, Enter but I hoped for something like Opera's Ctrl+B. I think that the guys making decisions chose the wrong direction...
Thanks a lot for a competent answer.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

buggeer, I feel your pain. I too have been struggling to find a keyboard shortcut for this. E.g., like Opera's Ctrl+B. The now discontinued Paste and Go 3 extension for earlier Firefox versions had Ctrl+Shift+V. Having Paste and Go only in the context menu, as in Firefox 4 and Chrome, is virtually valueless for me. :(
buggeer

Post by buggeer »

Exactly, someone on mozilla should start thinking what he's doing, as the paste and go 3 extension was removed from mozilla add-ons and now I can't even download it for firefox 3.x.
There is one thing we can do. Link to this thread and make it show one the first place in google so maybe those guys will do something about a keyboard shortcut.
Gingerbread Man

:arrow: Paste and Go 2
A modified version of Paste and Go 2 is available. It appears it's only been edited to add Seamonkey compatibility, not to do anything malicious, though I haven't bothered examining it, mind you. So you've got the fact that it's hosted on mozdev.org and the Add-ons Mirror to help you decide if it's trustworthy enough to install.
To install it, you'll have to go through the usual rigmarole of Editing an add-on to change its compatibility or use Add-on Compatibility Reporter. A quick test showed the keyboard shortcut works fine.
It's got all the features of the venerable old Paste and Go 2 0.8 that I used in Firefox 3.6, namely configurable paste and go and paste and search shortcuts, toolbar button, and being able to choose whether the selection should replace the whole field (Chrome-style) or just the selected portion (Opera-style).

The original Paste and Go 2 has long lost its Firefox Add-ons page and its homepage only has a very old version available.

The also-abandoned Paste and Go 3 was just Paste and Go 2 with its maxversion bumped up, which is why I never bothered with it. If you prefer that rip-off, it's available at the Add-ons Mirror.

If you want to complain to Mozilla, open the Help menu and choose Submit Feedback.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Gingerbread Man, I've just tried it and it works. I chose the Ad-on Compatibility Reporter route. You're a star! :) I'm almost back to Firefox 3.6.x functionality now. May now try seeing whether a few remaining extensions work.
Gingerbread Man

You're welcome :D

By the way, the author of Paste and Go 2 with Seamonkey support has an account here on Mozillazine.
-21grams

Post by -21grams »

Any security issues we should know about?
I've noticed you wrote
A modified version of Paste and Go 2

It makes me a bit apprehensive :-k
Gingerbread Man

I also said,
Gingerbread Man wrote:It appears it's only been edited to add Seamonkey compatibility, not to do anything malicious, though I haven't bothered examining it, mind you. So you've got the fact that it's hosted on mozdev.org and the Add-ons Mirror to help you decide if it's trustworthy enough to install.
[...]
By the way, the author of Paste and Go 2 with Seamonkey support has an account here on Mozillazine.