Quick Filter Toolbar missing

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
earlpiggot

Quick Filter Toolbar missing

Post by earlpiggot »

I'm on Shredder betas on Windows XP.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.9 ID:20110303033424

I have been missing the Quick Filter Toolbar for some time now, and I can't figure out why. It won't appear with the default theme, or in safe mode. It does show up on another PC which runs on Vista.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
rsx11m

Re: Quick Filter Toolbar missing

Post by rsx11m »

earlpiggot wrote:Thunderbird/3.1.9 ID:20110303033424

That's not Shredder though but the current stable release...

Did you try the usual things?
  • Using Ctrl+F to make the quick-filter bar appear (may need to be hit twice),
  • starting in safe mode to avoid impact of any extensions.
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

Thank you, rsx11m. It was as simple as Ctrl-F, but somehow it never crossed my mind :oops:
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

No problem. If you have mail.tabs.autoHide set, then the handle for the quick-filter bar disappears as well when only a single tab is active and you either have to go through the Show/Hide menus or use the keyboard shortcut.
dbharsh

Post by dbharsh »

This post is still the top Google hit when searching for missing Quick Filter boxes - but Thunderbird 8.0 changed the hotkey from ctrl-F (which now searches only in the body of the current message) to ctrl-shift-k to bring up the QuickFilter box. Been driving me crazy so when I found how to get the filter back I thought I'd update this thread in case anyone else is looking and similarly frustrated. No idea how I turned the filter box off in the first place though!
--
Cary, NC
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Thanks for updating this thread, the TB 8.0 release notes didn't explicitly mention the change in keyboard shortcuts after Ctrl+F was untangled to get rid of the ambiguity with searching within a message (though I'm not quite happy that it ended up being a 3-key shortcut either). In the worst case, there is still View > Toolbars > Quick-filter Bar to toggle it from the menus.
lvprott

Post by lvprott »

I want to filter for subject, body, sender/recipient etc. - this filter used to come up automatically with Thunderbird in its last version and I miss it terribly! I used it every single day I was online I think.

Please, please tell me how to get it back. I have tried Control F and Shift control K but neither bring up that desperately useful filter. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy lvprott,

that is the quick filter toolbar. it comes up for me with ctrl-shift-k while i am in the message list pane or in the folder list pane. the "filter messages by:" buttons for sender/recipients/subject/body show only when you have some search text in the filter box. they show just below the box and you can click on each to toggle it on or off.

i'm using tb8 on win7x32.

take care,
lee