After updating- ff4 bookmark folder icons disappeared [Linux

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wasser

After updating- ff4 bookmark folder icons disappeared [Linux

Post by Wasser »

Hi, I have updated 3 different computers to firefox 4, and in all of them, the folders' icons in my bookmarks disappeared. everything is functional and newly created folder have the same problem.

If I click in 'Show All Bookmarks', in the window where it displays the bookmarks, the icons appear just fine. It's just in the bookmarks' menu and bookmarks' toolbar that the problem appears.

System info:
-All the systems are synced using Mozilla Sync AND XMarks
-All the systems are Ubuntu
-Version 4.0 final

Thanks for the help
Last edited by LoudNoise on April 1st, 2011, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Linux to title
tankzt

Re: After updating to ff4 bookmark folder icons disappeared

Post by tankzt »

I have the same problem. Anyone know how to fix it? I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit.
Anonymosity

Re: After updating- ff4 bookmark folder icons disappeared [L

Post by Anonymosity »

You mean that there are no folder icons at all in the menu? What happens if you use a third-party theme? Why would there not be folder icons? That helps distinguish folders from single bookmarks.
Wasser

Post by Wasser »

I didn't try that... but what I can tell you is that one of the versions affected is the Ubuntu Netboox Remix, which supposedly uses a different theme...
tankzt

Post by tankzt »

That's correct. Even with another theme the icons are still missing. I also don't see any icons next to the items in the Firefox menu.
jimmydean123

Post by jimmydean123 »

If you go to System - Preferences - Appearance then click on the Interface tab, check "Show Icons In Menus" then restart Firefox. It worked for me on Ubuntu 9.10
Wasser

Post by Wasser »

jimmydean123 wrote:If you go to System - Preferences - Appearance then click on the Interface tab, check "Show Icons In Menus" then restart Firefox. It worked for me on Ubuntu 9.10

Hi, I tried, but in ubuntu 10.10 there isn't a tab in the appearance window called "Interface" and I couldn't find the option "Show Icons In Menus" in the other tabs :/

Any other ideas?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Could be jimmydean was referring to the Ubuntu /System/Preferences/Appearance.
There are control there for the showing of icons or text or icons and text.

Also you could make sure both Navigation and Bookmarks Toolbars show under /View/Toolbars as checked and right click on either one and hit the "Customize" button or panel.
The Customize panel should pop up and give you the option to show Icons Only; Text Only or both together.
You can also alter the size of the icons. I believe this setting goes down a level or so.
Last edited by Grumpus on April 11th, 2011, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
jimmydean123

Post by jimmydean123 »

Yeah, sorry. I meant the Ubuntu System menu. I haven't used 10.10 but the Icon settings are also found in gconf-editor. I don't know exactly where though.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I editied the above post - re read and see if that applies as well.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
jimmydean123

Post by jimmydean123 »

I am at work so I can't check this but according to this site http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 79#p303221 if you run gconf-editor, the settings should be at desktop > gnome > interface.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You can double check the settings underneath of Gconf editor. It's helpful to do that but it's better to perform the settings in the software and afterwards check to see if the change takes effect in the Gconf editor. Both Firefox and Ubuntu appearance are pipelined into the Gconf Editor if everything is properly done. One of the reasons it's suggested to use the Ubuntu repositories instead of some of the alternative methods of software installation.
Wasser

Post by Wasser »

Ok, so I changed the option "Show Icons in Labels" in Gconf-editor ( there is not such an option in the appearance window in ubuntu 10.04...)
I restarted the computer. but nothing changed.
powerfool

Post by powerfool »

Open the gconf-editor and go to desktop -> gnome -> interface -> menus_have_icons
and enable that. That should fix it.
However,
I still don't like this behaviour because I don't want to have icons in all the menus of GNOME, I just want icons at the bookmarks menu of Firefox 4. In Firefox 3 you didn't need to do this to have icons in this menu, and it was better this way.

If you want to see what is it like to not have icons in the bookmarks menu of FF4 check out this link, I posted a screenshot: http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/3120/tooltip003.png

Ugly isn't it?
Wasser

Post by Wasser »

powerfool wrote:Open the gconf-editor and go to desktop -> gnome -> interface -> menus_have_icons
and enable that. That should fix it.
However,
I still don't like this behaviour because I don't want to have icons in all the menus of GNOME, I just want icons at the bookmarks menu of Firefox 4. In Firefox 3 you didn't need to do this to have icons in this menu, and it was better this way.

If you want to see what is it like to not have icons in the bookmarks menu of FF4 check out this link, I posted a screenshot: http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/3120/tooltip003.png

Ugly isn't it?

Thanks, it worked. For now I don't see too many changes in other applications, but I guess I will have to restart Ubuntu to check