Classic Compact v29.0a1 (Australis) OS X testing Needed

Discuss application theming and theme development.
KLB

Re: Classic Compact 4.0.9b3 testing needed: Windows, Linux &

Post by KLB »

I've located the issue with the right mouse click. I added the following to my browser.css:

Code: Select all

#main-window { -moz-binding: url("chrome://browser/skin/browser.xml#menuhiddenobserver");}

And created a browser.xml file with the following code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<bindings id="globalBindings"
          xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/xbl"
          xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
          xmlns:xul="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"
          xmlns:xbl="http://www.mozilla.org/xbl">

<!-- :::/ widgets \ ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: -->

<binding id="menuhiddenobserver" extends="chrome://global/content/bindings/general.xml#root-element">
    <content>
      <xul:observes element="toolbar-menubar" attribute="autohide"/>
      <children/>
    </content>
  </binding>
</bindings>

This code enables me to place the tabs in the title bar, but it is also breaking the right mouse click. I suspect I'm missing a critical piece of code to make it work right. I believe this is also causing the problem with the extension Vimperator. Any help fixing this would be appreciated.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
KLB

Post by KLB »

I've narrowed my problem down to the tag "<children/>" in my browser.xml. If this tag exists, my "tabs in title bar : always" option works, but the right mouse click events for AiOS do not. If I remove the "<children/>" tag my tabs in title bar :always" option stops working but AiOS gets its right mouse click events back. I don't have a firm grasp on this binding stuff yet, so I need a little help sorting this issue out.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The <children/> tag basically tells the binding to include all of the children of the main element. I've never seen it act up like that, but it's possible that another binding is interfering.

Since you are using an extension for this option you could just scrap the binding and add the observer via an xul overlay of browser.xul. The only reason I gave you the binding is because I thought you would be trying to do this via the theme alone.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KLB

Post by KLB »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The <children/> tag basically tells the binding to include all of the children of the main element. I've never seen it act up like that, but it's possible that another binding is interfering.

That was my thought.

patrickjdempsey wrote:Since you are using an extension for this option you could just scrap the binding and add the observer via an xul overlay of browser.xul. The only reason I gave you the binding is because I thought you would be trying to do this via the theme alone.

I'm game for whatever works. I liked the original binding method because it was so elegant.

Please remember when you start throwing around "xul overlay of browser.xul" you are pushing the limits of my knowledge. CC & CCO are forcing me to be a quick study, but I'm not yet a master. Any extended explanation would be appreciated as it would probably save me a couple of hours of googling.

I assume you are talking about adding the bindings to my firefoxOverlay.xul and leaving the browser.css binding call out. Is this correct?
KLB

Post by KLB »

Here's my firefoxOverlay.xul file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- ***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
  -   Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
  -
  - The contents of this file are subject to the Mozilla Public License Version
  - 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  - the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
  - http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/
  -
  - Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" basis,
  - WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
  - for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
  - License.
  -
  - The Original Code is Classic Compact Options.
  -
  - The Initial Developer of the Original Code is
  - Ken Barbalace EnvironmentalChemistry.com.
  - Portions created by the Initial Developer are Copyright (C) 2008
  - the Initial Developer. All Rights Reserved.
  -
  - Contributor(s):
  - Pardal Freudenthal <pardal@gmx.de>
  -
  - Alternatively, the contents of this file may be used under the terms of
  - either the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL"), or
  - the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 or later (the "LGPL"),
  - in which case the provisions of the GPL or the LGPL are applicable instead
  - of those above. If you wish to allow use of your version of this file only
  - under the terms of either the GPL or the LGPL, and not to allow others to
  - use your version of this file under the terms of the MPL, indicate your
  - decision by deleting the provisions above and replace them with the notice
  - and other provisions required by the GPL or the LGPL. If you do not delete
  - the provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this file under
  - the terms of any one of the MPL, the GPL or the LGPL.
  -
  - ***** END LICENSE BLOCK ***** -->

<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://global/skin/themeoptions/themeoptions.css" type="text/css"?>
<!DOCTYPE overlay SYSTEM "chrome://classiccompactoptions/locale/classiccompactoptions.dtd">
<overlay id="classiccompactoptions-overlay"
         xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">
   <script src="overlay.js"/>
   <stringbundleset id="stringbundleset">
      <stringbundle id="classiccompactoptions-strings" src="chrome://classiccompactoptions/locale/classiccompactoptions.properties"/>
   </stringbundleset>

<menupopup id="menu_ToolsPopup">
      <menuitem id="classiccompactoptions" label="&classiccompactoptions.label;" hidden="true" oncommand="classiccompactoptions.onMenuItemCommand(event);"/>
   </menupopup>

<!-- Firefox -->
   <menubar id="main-menubar">
      <menu id="cco_mergedmenu" hidden="true" type="menu" insertbefore="file-menu" label="&classiccompactoptions.menu;" tooltiptext="&classiccompactoptions.menu;" accesskey="&classiccompactoptions.menuaccesskey;">
         <menupopup id="cco_mergedmenu-popup" />
      </menu>
   </menubar>

</overlay>

How would I insert the bindings here?
KLB

Post by KLB »

To follow up on my last post, the bindings I was placing in my browser.xml and calling via -moz-binding in my browser.css have been replaced by adding the following to CCO's firefoxOverlay.xul:

<window id="main-window">
      <observes element="toolbar-menubar" attribute="autohide"/>
   </window>

Not only has this solved the right mouse click issue with AiOS, but it solved the Vimperator conflict as well.

I'm ironing out some other issues and then will post beta 4.
Segaja

Post by Segaja »

I just had the idea that the overlay stuff could be messing up the vimperator status bar, because afaik they are overlaying something aswell. The only problem is my knowledge about XUL and how it is integrated into Firefox is very limited.

I will happily wait for the next beta.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Segaja, that was my bad, it was the binding... they are finicky and don't play well with others. Overlays *of this type* are perfectly safe because Firefox handles them smarter than it handles bindings... as in it automatically just brings along everyone for the ride instead of requiring you to explicitly list everything.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KLB

Post by KLB »

CC & CCO v4.0.9b4

CHANGES
  • Fixed bindings issue that was breaking some extensions like AiOS and Vimperator
  • Refined the styling of the movable Firefox button when it is in the tab bar and the tab bar is in the title bar.
  • Refined compacting of the title bar of Windows when using Windows Style themes and the menubar is hidden.
  • Fixed issue of nav bar being in titlebar when tabs are not on top but menu turned off and "Tabs in title bar" set to "always".
  • Refined the tab bar background when in title bar and when using personas. If you haven't seen my thread about how to use Personas and 3rd party themes like Classic Compact together, see: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2172893

KNOWN ISSUES
Could use suggestion how to fix:
  • I'm not happy with the styling of toolbar buttons in the tab bar when the tab bar is in the title bar.
  • In Windows (at least WinXP) when using a Windows Style theme with tabs in title bar and the window in normal/restore mode (e.g. not maximized), if you right mouse click on the title bar area the minimize/maximize/close buttons revert back to their normal size until some other area of the Firefox GUI is clicked on. It appears that normal sized buttons are being applied on top of my miniaturized. This shouldn't be an issue with Aero Glass as it uses different buttons that aren't impacted by my button shrinking tricks.
  • Not resolved: Conflict with the extension Barlesque (Bug report)

CONFIRMATIONS NEEDED
  • I need confirmation that tabs are reaching the top of the title bar when tabs in titlebar and window is maximized.
  • Need confirmation that tab bar is not colliding with title bar's right hand buttons.
  • Need confirmation that the tabs are working correctly in the title bar for Mac OS/X.

THE BUILDS
CC http://environmentalchemistry.com/classiccompact4.0.jar
CCO http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... ons4.0.xpi
mozillauser233

Post by mozillauser233 »

Everything looks great. SS below. Aero & Classic theme W7.
======
I need confirmation that tabs are reaching the top of the title bar when tabs in titlebar and window is maximized.
Need confirmation that tab bar is not colliding with title bar's right hand buttons.

Yup.
Nope.
======

=====

Like you stated AIOS works great now.

FF4 UI Fixer, movable button enabled, in max mode, it is completely customizable and movable but restored window, cannot customize it nor click on it to have the drop box come down. Just a tiny problem, not major.
Segaja

Post by Segaja »

I can confirm that the latest build fixes the issue with Vimperator. Thanks KLB.
KLB

Post by KLB »

I'm glad to hear that most of the issues have been resolved. The broken bindings was pretty major and I didn't want to leave you guys with bad builds so I worked extra to get B4 out quickly. Now I just need so Linux and Mac OS/X feedback and screen captures.

mozillauser233 wrote:FF4 UI Fixer, movable button enabled, in max mode, it is completely customizable and movable but restored window, cannot customize it nor click on it to have the drop box come down. Just a tiny problem, not major.

Is FF4 UI Fixer an addon? If so, can you please provide a link to it so I can install and test?
fnukyguy

Post by fnukyguy »

4.0.9b4 :
when "Tabs in title bar" set to "always" and movable firebox button is enabled, there is a small gap next to the first tab on the left.
the gap disappears when "tabs in title bar" is set to "when browser is maximized"

another thing : looks like the tabs don't reach the top on windows 7 (non maximized only) :

call me crazy, but I also notice that the tab bar is a few pixels higher compared to 4.0.8 (when firefox is maximized)
fnukyguy

Re: Classic Compact 4.0.9b4 testing needed: Windows, Linux &

Post by fnukyguy »

I notice that firefox-window borders are quite large when its non maximized...
Actually all programs look like this in windows 7 aero glass...

KLB, is this something you can easily fix, or is it impossible?

KLB

Post by KLB »

fnukyguy wrote:4.0.9b4 :
when "Tabs in title bar" set to "always" and movable firebox button is enabled, there is a small gap next to the first tab on the left.
the gap disappears when "tabs in title bar" is set to "when browser is maximized"

I'll try to tweak this.

fnukyguy wrote:another thing : looks like the tabs don't reach the top on windows 7 (non maximized only) :

Not supposed to. The way it reaches the top in maximized view is by expanding the height of the tabs.

fnukyguy wrote:call me crazy, but I also notice that the tab bar is a few pixels higher compared to 4.0.8 (when firefox is maximized)

I need the Win7 glass equivalent for ":-moz-system-metric(windows-compositor)". This would allow me to exempt it from the style rule that increases tab height for WinXP and Vista in Windows Style mode.