Prevent this page from creating addtional dialogs

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
jscher2000

Re: Prevent this page from creating addtional dialogs

Post by jscher2000 »

We have two different things going on here...

I'm suggesting adding a preference to about:config (or user.js in your profile folder).

Copy the preference name dom.successive_dialog_time_limit
Open about:config
Right-click in the preferences area and choose New > Integer
Paste the preference name and click OK
Then enter 0 and click OK

(With hand-entered preferences, reset does not work correctly, so don't use reset to change the value back to the default of 3. You'll have to do that manually.)

Any luck?
ksisteve

Post by ksisteve »

YOU'RE A BLOODY GENIUS! Thank you, it worked.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you created a Chrome folder (\f54slv98.default\Chrome\) then rename that folder to a lowercase chrome to avoid problems.

It should work if you use reset. That will set such a pref that doesn't exist by default to an empty string that Firefox will remove on a next start.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dickvl wrote:It should work if you use reset. That will set such a pref that doesn't exist by default to an empty string that Firefox will remove on a next start.

Aha, I wasn't patient enough to restart. It's good to know how to flush it if necessary.
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

I have a better question.How do i make this permanent?
Currently i place the checkmark and i get no more dialogs but it only lasts until i reaload the page.

Namely this happens when i try to rightclick to copy link address at say http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm when rightclicking any of the floppy disk images (download links)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

T0morrow wrote:I have a better question.

This is someone else's thread, so that's a bit impolite. :-(

T0morrow wrote:Namely this happens when i try to rightclick to copy link address at say http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm when rightclicking any of the floppy disk images (download links)

If you want to download images from that site, you can try the following:

(1) View > Page Info > Media tab

(2) Disable JavaScript (e.g., using the NoScript extension or in Tool > Options > Content)

Edit: oh, copying link locations. See #2 above. However, I think you should consider linking to the page. It's better netiquette not to hotlink to exe files on someone else's site.
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

jscher2000 wrote:
T0morrow wrote:I have a better question.

This is someone else's thread, so that's a bit impolite. :-(

Since the question is directly related to the discussion here (the warning dialog and it's settings) then i did not see point in starting another thread.
jscher2000 wrote:
T0morrow wrote:Namely this happens when i try to rightclick to copy link address at say http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm when rightclicking any of the floppy disk images (download links)

If you want to download images from that site, you can try the following:

(1) View > Page Info > Media tab

(2) Disable JavaScript (e.g., using the NoScript extension or in Tool > Options > Content)

Edit: oh, copying link locations. See #2 above. However, I think you should consider linking to the page. It's better netiquette not to hotlink to exe files on someone else's site.

You completely misunderstand me.I don't want to download anything from there.I want to make the warning dialog setting permament.Meaning if i get the warning once and i agree that further dialogs should be supressed then this setting should stick even after CTRL+F5.
trolly

Post by trolly »

See the first post on this page.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

trolly wrote:See the first post on this page.

Hmm don't know how i missed that.Anyway it tried this and with value 0 on dom.successive_dialog_time_limit i just get the first warning dialog an never reach the second one not to mention making this setting permanent.

So i tried value 1 and this has the same behavior as if the setting does not exist.Even tried 999 but still no luck.

The warning dialog was not supressed and no setting was made permanent.Even tried allowing or disabling popups in page permissions.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

T0morrow wrote:
trolly wrote:See the first post on this page.

Anyway it tried this and with value 0 on dom.successive_dialog_time_limit i just get the first warning dialog an never reach the second one not to mention making this setting permanent.

The confusion in this thread is that your request is the opposite of the one made by the original poster. The original poster wanted to allow unlimited frequent dialogs while you want to block them.

Perhaps as a workaround you should install Greasemonkey and create a userscript for the site along the following lines:

Code: Select all

document.onmousedown = "";
nmout

Post by nmout »

how can I block an entire site and not just a page from crating dialog in firefox 7.0.1?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

nmout wrote:how can I block an entire site and not just a page from crating dialog in firefox 7.0.1?

You might be able to use the security policies feature for this. In the following article, look at the section entitled "Zone Policies" ("if you wanted to restrict http://www.evil.org and http://www.annoying.com from creating dialog windows"):

Configurable Security Policies (CAPS)
dtobias

Post by dtobias »

I don't think Firefox can ever make everybody totally happy in this regard; they're caught between trying to stop all the silly, devious techniques sites use to shove annoying marketing crap at users, and supporting the use of similarly convoluted stuff in web applications, intranets, extranets, and the like. Trying to tell the difference is extremely tricky.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
greendraw

Post by greendraw »

i don't find dom.successive_dialog_time_limit in FF 9.0.1. How i can disable show message "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogues"?
trolly

Post by trolly »

You may need to create it before.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.