Installation of Thawte Email Certificate?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
epmills

Installation of Thawte Email Certificate?

Post by epmills »

I've requested a personal email certificate from Thawte. The request was successful and when I cliecked "Fetch" from the Thawte site, it installed the cert8.db and key3.db files into my profile firectories for both Thunderbird and Firebird.

However, when I select the Security tab in my Account Settings and click the Select button under Digital Signing, Thunderbird states that Certificate Manager cannot locate a valid certificate. When I open Certificate Manager and click Import under Your Certificates, it looks for PKCS12 files so the .DB files do not appear. If I manually select the cert8.db file it asks me for a password (?) and then says the file is either not in PKCS12 format or is corrupt.

Anyone using Thawte email certificates with Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance!
-- Evan

Thunderbird - 01-Jul-2003 build.
Firebird - 30-Jun-2003 build.
mscott

Re: Installation of Thawte Email Certificate?

Post by mscott »

epmills wrote:I've requested a personal email certificate from Thawte. The request was successful and when I cliecked "Fetch" from the Thawte site, it installed the cert8.db and key3.db files into my profile firectories for both Thunderbird and Firebird.

However, when I select the Security tab in my Account Settings and click the Select button under Digital Signing, Thunderbird states that Certificate Manager cannot locate a valid certificate. When I open Certificate Manager and click Import under Your Certificates, it looks for PKCS12 files so the .DB files do not appear. If I manually select the cert8.db file it asks me for a password (?) and then says the file is either not in PKCS12 format or is corrupt.

Anyone using Thawte email certificates with Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance!
-- Evan

Thunderbird - 01-Jul-2003 build.
Firebird - 30-Jun-2003 build.

What makes you think when you installed the cert in firebird that the certificate was added to thunderbird as well? I'd be really shocked if that happened since they are separate applications and do not interact together.

I haven't hooked up a certificate manager yet in thunderbird to allow you to import certs. It's on the to do list.

For now you probably need to copy your cert DB from firebird over to thunderbird for thunderbird to see that cert.
Thunderbirds are Go!
epmills

Post by epmills »

...because I'm a moron. :)

I'd deleted the .db files from both app's profiles, did a Fetch, and restarted T'Bird before checking the directories. When I noticed both apps had cert8.db and key3.db files that had the same creation date/time (to the minute) and relative size (to the kilobyte) I mistakenly thought the Fetch had placed the .db files in both app's profile directories (not realizing that they are automatically created when T'Bird is launched). Mea culpa.

Now, I'm not sure that the Fetch from Thawte is even working because the timestamps/sizes of the .db files in the Firebird directory are not changing after the Fetch. And, as before, the Certificate Manager is unable to import the cert8.db file. I also did a search to find every file created in the last day and I don't see Thawte placing cert files anywhere else.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
-- Evan