Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderbird

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ShareBird

Re: Silvermel and Charamel - Themes for Firefox and Thunderb

Post by ShareBird »

Thank you Gingerbread Man!

Let's try the new versions:

Silvermel:
http://www.silvermel.net/dev/xpi/silver ... _r4664.xpi

Charamel:
http://www.silvermel.net/dev/xpi/charam ... _r4664.xpi
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

It appears to be solved! I don't think The Flash could have fixed this any faster ;) Thank you very much.

Other issues:
  • Bug 401213 is driving me crazy. I page zoom almost all sites to at least 140% (this forum is at 195%). That means a massive chunk of screen real estate is gobbled up by the scrollbars. Maybe you could put an option to disable custom scrollbars in Silvermel and Charamel XT?
  • Options - Content: Exceptions... button looks broken/misaligned.
  • Options - Security: same problem with both Exceptions... buttons.
  • Stylish editor window: same problem for Insert button.
  • Stylish editor window: Blocky/weird background for "Find:"
  • The text for virtually all buttons is small, but I can change that with a user style if need be.
crindo2

Post by crindo2 »

ShareBird wrote:I don't know if I understand your issue... Are you saying you are not able anymore to click on the url bar and have focus to type a url address?

Exactly. I cannot click on the URL bar to type in new URL addresses. Instead, I have to tab through to the address bar.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Hey ShareBird. In your changelog you have version 1.4.0pre, but the extension is called 1.5.0pre. Is that just a mistake? Great work. Keep em coming.

BTW, IMHO these two themes are best ones ever made for Firefox and Thunderbird. I have now been using Silvermel exclusively for a long time.
Abbabubbie

Post by Abbabubbie »

Congratulations on a most successful product. As a minimal user of themes, colors and other such embellishments because as a member of the senior generation, my very first home system was a TI, and thrilled when I got a 286. So you can see being able to change the screen color and font was exciting at the time. Having shared this, I believe it supports the level of acknowledgement I offer.

Thank you for your brief explanation between Silvermel and Charmel, they were helpful. The reviews of Charamel quite tempt me to ferret out that also.

Not only was I able to understand basic differences; I decided I would start the process of using Thunderbird as my mail system. The one I use is from my internet provider, of which I am not fond when compared to MS Office I use at work. Choosing not to purchase the Office program shows a certain level of financial constraint in which many Americans find themselves, oh so NOT by choice.

Knowing now as you do my financial status, you will appreciate how I value the programs which compelled me to make a contribution. As I installed Silvermel, I was intrigued by the additional offer of the tab ap. It was there I discovered the incredible amount of work ShareBird invested, and apparently continues to invest in these programs. While my appreciation of programmer talents has increased, it was ShareBird who brought it to my attention. Thank you for increasing my education, however slightly, in this ever-expanding, fascinating technology of computing, the topic of which resides in the same category of understanding as nuclear physics - which is virtually nil.

IMHO, ShareBird is a superb programmer, excellent web-page designer, and not an insignificant marketer.

If I may, I would like to offer a suggestion to enhance the donation option. The web-page to which I was directed appeared to have the option of text appearing in either Deutsch or in English. For some reason, I was unable to access the English option. That I muddled through the process of making my small donation, no less in a foreign language, also attests to my appreciation. Should I have been In a similar situation, as rare as it would be, my life-long challenge of ADD would have kicked in, and off I'd be.

Thanks again. I'll be looking for ShareBird's products.

Sincerely
Abbabubbie.
morpheus222

Post by morpheus222 »

I'm so glad to see Silvermel updated so I can use my favorite theme on FF 4 on Mac OS X. However, with Silvermel enabled, my TooManyTabs toolbar is blank. If I enable another theme, I can see the tabs again on TooManyTabs. See screenshot below.

The saved tabs are there but just not visible. If I move the mouse through the blank toolbar, I get little popups telling me the name of the tab under the cursor even if the tab itself isn't visible.

Thanks, Otto
blerner42

Post by blerner42 »

I'm glad to see Silvermel has reached 1.4.1 -- congrats! I noticed a small change in tab heights, though: I'm running Win7, with Aero, and Silvermel 1.4.1 (or 1.5.0pre r4664, which I tried also). There's now a ~12px gap between the bottom of the tabs and the top of the content. It appears to be a rule in chrome://messenger/skin/layout.css

Code: Select all

/*for Thunderbird 3.0*/

tabmail tabpanels {
  border: none;
  padding: 10px 0 0 !important;
  background-image: none;
  background-color: #DEDEDE; /*the same color as window element*/
}

which seems oddly big to me. A smaller value, like 4px, seems cleaner... I saw in the changelog that tab height was changed in r4645; maybe that change was overly broad?

Thanks!
alan_r

Post by alan_r »

Using the FF4 Default theme before the Silvermel/Charamel updates, I re-established the Stop and Re-load buttons in their traditional place.

The Silvermel/Charamel update has these buttons in their traditional place. Is this because I changed the default or because that is the way the theme is designed?

Why I ask is, if this is the way the theme is designed, it solves so many queries about "lost" buttons and buttons in "odd" places and would convert so many people to FF4 rather than them wanting to go back to FF3. Yet, the Monitors never seem to suggest appropriate themes(and a little customization) as the answer to most of the problems.

My favourite themes, by far.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Gingerbread Man wrote:It appears to be solved! I don't think The Flash could have fixed this any faster ;) Thank you very much.
You're welcome! ;-)

Gingerbread Man wrote:Other issues:
  • Bug 401213 is driving me crazy. I page zoom almost all sites to at least 140% (this forum is at 195%). That means a massive chunk of screen real estate is gobbled up by the scrollbars. Maybe you could put an option to disable custom scrollbars in Silvermel and Charamel XT?
Yes, it is very annoying, I can think about this in the future... But, of course, the best should be if they finally fix this!

Gingerbread Man wrote:
  • Options - Content: Exceptions... button looks broken/misaligned.
  • Options - Security: same problem with both Exceptions... buttons.
  • Stylish editor window: same problem for Insert button.
  • Stylish editor window: Blocky/weird background for "Find:"
It's fixed now (I hope so :-))

crindo2 wrote:
ShareBird wrote:I don't know if I understand your issue... Are you saying you are not able anymore to click on the url bar and have focus to type a url address?
Exactly. I cannot click on the URL bar to type in new URL addresses. Instead, I have to tab through to the address bar.
Could you please try in a new fresh profile? Me and other users are not seeing this problem...

ltsnow wrote:Hey ShareBird. In your changelog you have version 1.4.0pre, but the extension is called 1.5.0pre. Is that just a mistake? Great work. Keep em coming.
Good catch! Thank you!

Abbabubbie wrote:Congratulations on a most successful product. As a minimal user of themes, colors and other such embellishments because as a member of the senior generation, my very first home system was a TI, and thrilled when I got a 286. So you can see being able to change the screen color and font was exciting at the time. Having shared this, I believe it supports the level of acknowledgement I offer.

Thank you for your brief explanation between Silvermel and Charmel, they were helpful. The reviews of Charamel quite tempt me to ferret out that also.

Not only was I able to understand basic differences; I decided I would start the process of using Thunderbird as my mail system. The one I use is from my internet provider, of which I am not fond when compared to MS Office I use at work. Choosing not to purchase the Office program shows a certain level of financial constraint in which many Americans find themselves, oh so NOT by choice.

Knowing now as you do my financial status, you will appreciate how I value the programs which compelled me to make a contribution. As I installed Silvermel, I was intrigued by the additional offer of the tab ap. It was there I discovered the incredible amount of work ShareBird invested, and apparently continues to invest in these programs. While my appreciation of programmer talents has increased, it was ShareBird who brought it to my attention. Thank you for increasing my education, however slightly, in this ever-expanding, fascinating technology of computing, the topic of which resides in the same category of understanding as nuclear physics - which is virtually nil.

IMHO, ShareBird is a superb programmer, excellent web-page designer, and not an insignificant marketer.

If I may, I would like to offer a suggestion to enhance the donation option. The web-page to which I was directed appeared to have the option of text appearing in either Deutsch or in English. For some reason, I was unable to access the English option. That I muddled through the process of making my small donation, no less in a foreign language, also attests to my appreciation. Should I have been In a similar situation, as rare as it would be, my life-long challenge of ADD would have kicked in, and off I'd be.

Thanks again. I'll be looking for ShareBird's products.

Sincerely
Abbabubbie.
Thank you so much, Abbabubbie, for coming here and for your kindly words. This is already a enormous contribution for me!
Thanks also for your suggestion. I'm aware of this problem from PayPal, but I didn't figure out how I could set up my account (it's in Germany) to show different languages and/or currencies. I indeed don't know if it's possible at all. If someone knows this I would very appreciate any hints on this.
For the moment it seems that for people in Europe the best place is the link I have on my home page: http://www.silvermel.net. But for people in USA the best should be the AMO site: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7517

morpheus22 wrote:I'm so glad to see Silvermel updated so I can use my favorite theme on FF 4 on Mac OS X. However, with Silvermel enabled, my TooManyTabs toolbar is blank. If I enable another theme, I can see the tabs again on TooManyTabs.
The saved tabs are there but just not visible. If I move the mouse through the blank toolbar, I get little popups telling me the name of the tab under the cursor even if the tab itself isn't visible.
It's fixed now.

blerner42 wrote:I'm glad to see Silvermel has reached 1.4.1 -- congrats! I noticed a small change in tab heights, though: I'm running Win7, with Aero, and Silvermel 1.4.1 (or 1.5.0pre r4664, which I tried also). There's now a ~12px gap between the bottom of the tabs and the top of the content.
I've introduced this gap to get a better play with the tabs gradients. Now the active tab will merge with the panel. But I agree it's too much. I've diminished it a little. I hope it's ok now...

alan_r(Guest 666) wrote:Using the FF4 Default theme before the Silvermel/Charamel updates, I re-established the Stop and Re-load buttons in their traditional place.

The Silvermel/Charamel update has these buttons in their traditional place. Is this because I changed the default or because that is the way the theme is designed?
Actually it's because you've changed the position of them... Silvermel doesn't change the position from any button. Anyway, thank you for using Silvermel ;-)

New Versions:

Silvermel:
http://www.silvermel.net/dev/xpi/silver ... _r4676.xpi

Charamel:
http://www.silvermel.net/dev/xpi/charam ... _r4676.xpi
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

I made a mistake on the last version from Silvermel and Charamel XT... Here the fixed version:

http://www.silvermel.net/dev/xpi/silver ... _r4677.xpi
Gingerbread Man

ShareBird wrote:I can think about this in the future... But, of course, the best should be if they finally fix this!

I was thinking you could turn Silvermel and Charamel XT into a theme customization extension. Like Stratiform for the default theme, but not as complex. You could have just a handful of options, like
  • Styled scrollbars on/off
  • Firefox button default size/small size
  • Firefox button default color/Silvermel or Charamel color
  • Tabs always in titlebar
It's just a suggestion. The scrollbars are the only issue; everything else can be done with user styles.
ShareBird wrote:It's fixed now (I hope so :-))

• Button shape looks OK now.
  • Button text size is still bugging me. I think it's weird that the Options window is gigantic in your themes but the font size is so puny. Anyway, I'll drop the issue.
  • Stylish editor window: "Find:" background still looks a little off. The height of the background for ":" is 1px less than the background for "Find".
  • Find bar: same problem as above, with the background for the "X" and the right side of "F I N D".
  • Options - Applications: icons and text are too close together.
Thank you for all the effort.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
ShareBird wrote:I can think about this in the future... But, of course, the best should be if they finally fix this!

I was thinking you could turn Silvermel and Charamel XT into a theme customization extension. Like Stratiform for the default theme, but not as complex. You could have just a handful of options, like
  • Styled scrollbars on/off
  • Firefox button default size/small size
  • Firefox button default color/Silvermel or Charamel color
  • Tabs always in titlebar
It's just a suggestion. The scrollbars are the only issue; everything else can be done with user styles.
When I see the neighbors forums, e.g., the ClassicCompact discussion, I'm very happy I don't have a options pane on my themes... If I'd have one I would receive so many requests for options that I would be crazy. :-) As you said many things can be achieved by user styles. For a long time now I've been wanting to make a home page with several styles specific for the themes. But to offer options for scrollbars, I will need of course a options pane at all... This option will give me also a lot of work, because I have to deal different files for the different OS. I've already expend a lot of time working on two themes for Firefox and for Thunderbird. I work on them at a daily basis (this has indeed caused a couple private issues on the past), and make it for free... IMHO, this is a very annoying bug and I would hope that the guys at Mozilla (that are payed for their work) could be able to fix it. I just would request that everybody annoyed by this bug vote on it.

Gingerbread Man wrote:
ShareBird wrote:It's fixed now (I hope so :-))

• Button shape looks OK now.
  • Button text size is still bugging me. I think it's weird that the Options window is gigantic in your themes but the font size is so puny. Anyway, I'll drop the issue.
  • Stylish editor window: "Find:" background still looks a little off. The height of the background for ":" is 1px less than the background for "Find".
  • Find bar: same problem as above, with the background for the "X" and the right side of "F I N D".
  • Options - Applications: icons and text are too close together.
Thank you for all the effort.

I guess all the above issues are fixed now...

These new versions stopped to support Firefox and Thunderbird 2.0. I've tried to remove all code and images related to this version. Unfortunately, it's possible that I've cleaned it "too much", so a detailed Change_log this time to help us to figure out if some problem occurs...

Silvermel
http://www.silvermel.net/dev/xpi/silver ... _r4732.xpi

Charamel
http://www.silvermel.net/dev/xpi/charam ... _r4732.xpi
_japhy_

Post by _japhy_ »

Post by crindo2 » May 1st, 2011, 8:36 am

I had this same problem and in my case it was a conflict between Silver/Charamel and InstantFox (which manipulates the URL bar). Maybe it's the same issue for you crindo2? Any chance you can have a look at this ShareBird?
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

_japhy_ wrote:I had this same problem and in my case it was a conflict between Silver/Charamel and InstantFox (which manipulates the URL bar). Maybe it's the same issue for you crindo2? Any chance you can have a look at this ShareBird?

Thank you very much for finding out the culprit, _japhy_!
I will fix it on the next version.
Gingerbread Man

ShareBird wrote:I guess all the above issues are fixed now...

Looks good for the most part! Thank you.

There's no difference with the uneven background for "Find" on the find bar and Stylish editor window, but it's not terribly important.
ShareBird wrote:This option will give me also a lot of work

That's up to you. Again, it was just a suggestion, not a demand — no pressure.
ShareBird wrote:I would hope that the guys at Mozilla (that are payed for their work) could be able to fix it.

Well then you can only hope this is not the prevalent opinion at Mozilla:
Asa Dotzler wrote:I think 3rd party old-style themes are an outdated technology not worth advocating. [...] Now I just hope we drop old-style themes completely and relegate that kind of change to extensions.

Firefox 5 is Looking Great