Closing Firefox starts Acrobat reader process

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
buddym

Closing Firefox starts Acrobat reader process

Post by buddym »

Hi,

I am running Firefox 4.0.1 on Vista 64 Home.

I noticed via Task Manager that when I exit Firefox it starts an AcroRd32.exe process. AcroRd32.exe isn't running on Windows startup, nor is it running on Firefox startup. However, when I close Firefox an AcroRd32.exe process is spawned.

I tested IE and it is only happening on Firefox. This behavior started with Firefox 4.0 and is still occurring in Firefox 4.0.1. Any ideas?
DanRaisch

Re: Closing Firefox starts Acrobat reader process

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
buddym

Post by buddym »

Thanks for the quick response Dan. Good call on Safe Mode. The AcroRd32.exe process wasn't spawned when I closed Safe Mode Firefox. Now, I will go through my extensions and plugins to see which one is causing this issue. My current extensions: Firebug 1.70, Java Console 6.0.{13, 15, 20}, MS .NET Framework Asst 0.0.0, and NoScript 2.1.0.3. My current plugins: Adobe Acrobat 8.1.0.137, Google Earth Plugin1.0.0.1, Google Update 1.3.21.53, Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.200.2 6.0.200.2, Shockwave Flash 10.2.152.32, Shockwave for Director 11.5.9.620, and Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

You might try disabling Firebug first. It's known to be problematic.
buddym

Post by buddym »

Tried a number of different combinations of extensions on and off, but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. Final solution for me was to perform a complete uninstall of Firefox and then reinstall v 4.01. I then installed the NoScript extension and that is it. Although, I noticed there were other extensions and plugins there already with just the new installation of 4.01. Are they part of the default Firefox package or remnants of my previous installation. I am guessing the latter, but can't be sure. Is there a list of what plugins and extensions are included by default with Firefox 4.01 or does it come without any extensions/plugins? In any case, I have not had the AcroRd32 process spawn when closing Firefox since the uninstall/reinstall.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When installed using the official installation package from Mozilla, Firefox does not include ANY extensions nor does it include the Adobe Reader plugin. When you speak of a complete uninstall, did you also remove the original Firefox profile folder or just the application itself?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

When Firefox 4+ clears cookies, it spins up every plugin (disabled or not) to give it a chance to clear any LSOs (eg, Flash cookies) for each plugin.

If you have Firefox set to delete cookies on shutdown, you'll notice that there are a bunch of plugin-container.exe processes started up as well. (I think that the reason acrobat has its own process name is because it already supported being run out of process, but don't quote me on that one.)
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=633427 for details, but it doesn't need any more "me too!" comments.