Notebook touchpad NG w/Mozilla

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
fsepanek

Notebook touchpad NG w/Mozilla

Post by fsepanek »

I have a NB and a desktop. Installed Moz 1.1 on both.

The notebook does NOT scroll with the touchpad. Normally one simply drags the finger along the right edge of the pad and it scrolls up or down. Also, hitting the scroll buttons move similar to a scroll wheel.

Neither of these operations work on Mozilla. Any ideas?
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

Do you have a Synaptics touchpad? If so install the latest drivers, then in the synaptics directory(usually c:\prog files.... etc) edit syntpenh.ini and add the following line

[Mozilla]
FC = "MozillaWindowClass"
SF = 0x10000000
SF |= 0x00004000
fsepanek

Post by fsepanek »

Tried that with the current version of the touchpad and rebooted. Did not change anything.

I'll update the drivers for the pad and try again. Will post back with results.

Thanks, Fred
fsepanek

Post by fsepanek »

Great! That did it!

Updated to the latest drivers for the touchpad, then added the lines you posted. Works just as it should.

Thanks, I appreciate it, Fred
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

Glad to help. I'm actually hoping that this gets added to the release notes.
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=146962
michaelab

Post by michaelab »

I had the same problem with the Synaptics touchpad on my Dell laptop. I upgraded the drivers and the problem went away. Didn't need to make any .ini file changes :)

Michael.
demerson3

oops

Post by demerson3 »

I posted some troubles here, but it turns out that all I needed was a reboot :) ... updating SynTPEnh.ini seems to do the trick! I'm using a Compaq Armada 1750, and the last time the drivers were updated was in 1999, but that seems to be okay!

~David.
m0nk4y5cry

i thought this thread had the answer

Post by m0nk4y5cry »

i thought i found the solution, Armada 1750 here too, but the ini file already contains the lines you mention. When i try to scroll i get the same little picture that the movemente recognized, but it just dosent do anything. Only in firefox and thunderbird....lol even Acrobat works in thunderbird, someone please help, i just want to be able to scroll with the pad in firefox
m0nk4y5cry

Post by m0nk4y5cry »

ok it seems the answer is to get the older version touchpad drivers, there is another thread here with the link.......all working for me now
peterb@pccalaska.com

Synaptics touchpad and scrolling, HP ZD8000 notebook

Post by peterb@pccalaska.com »

After reading the forms here a bit, I determined that the problem was not fixed by updating the touchpad driver version, going back to an older version, or any editing of the INI file.

The way I fixed mine was by uninstalling the Synaptics driver altogether, through the add/remove programs wizard.

Scrolling still works with every program, and now works well with Mozilla 1.7.5.

Hope that helps.
XIIICode

Post by XIIICode »

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and to this thread. I've had the same problem with touchpad scrolling in firefox 1.0 for a while. I found a solution that works for me from some other thread on Notebook Reviews Forum. Apparently all one need do is uninstall synaptics touchpad app, and then reinstall using version 7.5.7 drivers. This has sorted out the problem for me.
As it might be of use to others, here's a direct link to the synaptics drivers that need to be installed:

http://www.pct.com.tw/en/Support.asp?id=135

Here's a link to the forum where i found this, just in case anyone has the time to read entire thread:

http://www.notebookreview.com/forums/to ... hichpage=1

Hope this helps those of us with similar probs.
Cheers.
darkpixel

Post by darkpixel »

I have a Compaq Presario X1000 {I'll pause while the entire Universe laughs at me...} XP Home SP2 and a Synaptics touch pad.

I had the same problem after installing the latest Synaptics drivers from Windows update. And yes, the reverting to the older drivers works, but I also had success with the much less painfull approach of switching to "PS/2 Compatible mouse" (or something like that). I think this is what PeterB referred to in an earlier post above when he simply unistalled the Synaptics driver.

Incidentally, the "latest" version of the Synaptics drivers caused me to lose the scrolling capability in OpenOffice.Org as well. Did Micro$oft buy Synaptics recently?

All works as advertised for me, YMMV.
pasqualy

Same problem

Post by pasqualy »

mesostinky wrote:Do you have a Synaptics touchpad? If so install the latest drivers, then in the synaptics directory(usually c:\prog files.... etc) edit syntpenh.ini and add the following line

[Mozilla]
FC = "MozillaWindowClass"
SF = 0x10000000
SF |= 0x00004000

I looked in the syntpenh.ini and didn't find "Mozilla" listed. Am I looking for "Mozzila" in the list?? Email me please.
mikejody1

Post by mikejody1 »

There are so many suggestions/opinions here that I am truly lost as to how to fix this problem in Firefox. Can anyone give me step-by-step directions (assuming I only know how to turn a computer on, and nothing more! :) to helping me to be able to scroll with the Synaptics Touchpad and Firefox? I have a HP Pavilion DV 1000 with Win XP.

Any help would be appreciated.
mikejody1

Post by mikejody1 »

XIIICode wrote:Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and to this thread. I've had the same problem with touchpad scrolling in firefox 1.0 for a while. I found a solution that works for me from some other thread on Notebook Reviews Forum. Apparently all one need do is uninstall synaptics touchpad app, and then reinstall using version 7.5.7 drivers. This has sorted out the problem for me.
As it might be of use to others, here's a direct link to the synaptics drivers that need to be installed:

http://www.pct.com.tw/en/Support.asp?id=135

Here's a link to the forum where i found this, just in case anyone has the time to read entire thread:

http://www.notebookreview.com/forums/to ... hichpage=1

Hope this helps those of us with similar probs.
Cheers.

Thank you. To uninstall this, do you go to Add/Remove programs and simply remove the "Synaptics Pointing Device Driver" and then reinstall the driver's from the above link? It is a 25MB file to remove this in Add/Remove programs. I'm scared to do this, as what will happen if I can no longer move my mouse after this?

Any BASIC help would be appreciated.