betfair.com shows dollars instead of pounds

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Vache

betfair.com shows dollars instead of pounds

Post by Vache »

Does anyone know what browser string I need to change to get Betfair to realise that I'm not in the US, and display prices in pounds instead of dollars?

Firefox is fine, because there is an official UK English release, but the only English version of Seamonkey is the US English version, and Betfair is picking up on something the browser sends and assumes I'm in the US. There is no option to force Betfair to display in a currency of your choice.

I have changed general.useragent.locale to en-gb, and added en-gb to intl.accept_languages, but no effect.

What other string(s) might I need to change?

I have Googled for this problem, but all I can find is a thread started by someone else experiencing the same problem in Google Chrome, but there is no fix offered.

Thanks.
amrad

Re: betfair.com shows dollars instead of pounds

Post by amrad »

Vache wrote:Firefox is fine, because there is an official UK English release, but the only English version of Seamonkey is the US English version,

The US-English version of SM is not the only one. I am running the British-English version, available here:

British-English Seamonkey

Regards,

Dave.
Vache

Post by Vache »

Ah, apologies - I'm running the 2.1 Beta version, for which there is no British-English build.
Hopefully there will be one when it's released :-)

Still be interested to know how Betfair is detecting my browser regionalisation, though. I've changed everything I can find to change to en-gb.
As well as Google Chrome, Safari seems to have the same issues with Betfair. What is the Betfair site using?
James

Post by James »

amrad wrote:
Vache wrote:Firefox is fine, because there is an official UK English release, but the only English version of Seamonkey is the US English version,

The US-English version of SM is not the only one. I am running the British-English version, available here:

British-English Seamonkey

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt22 ... onofSM.jpg.

You are being served the British version because of the en-GB in your SeaMonkey 2.0.14 useragent, If you had en-US in UA you would have been served the US English version.

The Other Systems & Languages link right below is where you can download whatever local you want of SeaMonkey 2.0.14.

They still only have the en-US version for English for the 2.1 RC1 build at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc1

Vache wrote:Still be interested to know how Betfair is detecting my browser regionalisation, though. I've changed everything I can find to change to en-gb.
As well as Google Chrome, Safari seems to have the same issues with Betfair. What is the Betfair site using?

May be going by IP location then ?
Vache

Post by Vache »

James wrote:
Vache wrote:Still be interested to know how Betfair is detecting my browser regionalisation, though. I've changed everything I can find to change to en-gb.

No, it's definitely browser-related. Firefox and IE both correctly display pounds, Seamonkey displays dollars.

The Betfair site has a setting for "English UK" but this doesn't affect the currency displayed. It seems to base this solely on the browser regionalisation.
James

Post by James »

Vache wrote:
James wrote:

No, it's definitely browser-related. Firefox and IE both correctly display pounds, Seamonkey displays dollars.

The Betfair site has a setting for "English UK" but this doesn't affect the currency displayed. It seems to base this solely on the browser regionalisation.

Only other thing I can think of, if it goes by the local in user agent, it may default to en-US if it cannot determine what you have.

What version of Firefox correctly display pounds for you as Firefox 4.0 like the SeaMonkey 2.1 you are using, no longer has the local in UA among a couple other changes.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You might also want to delete the cookies for the site if you haven't.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Vache

Post by Vache »

LoudNoise wrote:You might also want to delete the cookies for the site if you haven't.

Thanks, yes I did think of that one, but it doesn't help :(
Actually I did a full "clear private data" and restarted Seamonkey to no avail.
James wrote:What version of Firefox correctly display pounds for you as Firefox 4.0 like the SeaMonkey 2.1 you are using, no longer has the local in UA among a couple other changes.

Thought you might have hit on it there because I was testing with Firefox 3.6.16, but I just tried with 4.0.1 and it correctly displays pounds :(
I think I'll have to fire up Wireshark and try to figure out what's different, but I don't fancy my chances.

Can I configure Seamonkey with a custom user-agent string or does it need to be re-compiled?
James

Post by James »

There is the user agent switcher extension at addons.mozilla.org but it is not for SM 2.1

In about:config you could try adding a general.useragent.override preference as a string and for value a useragent you know displays the pounds correctly.
Casual Visit

Post by Casual Visit »

I don't know much about SeaMonkey, but I can confirm that Betfair uses a server's IP address to assume your location and uses this information to block punters physically located in countries where betting online is illegal. If you have an account with Betfair, when you log-in to the Betfair website the currency displayed will be the one you selected when you opened your account. To have a different currency you'll have to open another account and select the desired currency (you cannot change your currency for a specific account once you've selected it).

If you access the Betfair website without logging in, prices displayed will be in the currency of the country in which your IP address is deemed to be located. As proof of this, If you use a proxy server or VPN that allows you to select the country you wish your IP address to be located in and select Australia, when you open the Betfair website (without logging in) the prices will be displayed in $AUD. Once you log in, the prices will be displayed in the currency you selected when you opened your account.
Vache

Post by Vache »

Casual Visit wrote:If you access the Betfair website without logging in, prices displayed will be in the currency of the country in which your IP address is deemed to be located. As proof of this, If you use a proxy server or VPN that allows you to select the country you wish your IP address to be located in and select Australia, when you open the Betfair website (without logging in) the prices will be displayed in $AUD. Once you log in, the prices will be displayed in the currency you selected when you opened your account.

Nope. I never log in to Betfair unless actually placing a bet (extremely rare), so it can't be that. My Firefox 4 test was performed on a clean Windows XP install which I had never even used before, let alone signed into Betfair, and it correctly displayed Pounds. Seamonkey 2.1 beta from the same machine (same IP address) showed dollars.
In any case, everyone else who uses IP location puts me firmly in the UK, so why would Betfair assume I'm in America?

Betfair is *definitely* using information from the browser to decide which currency to display. It may fall back to IP location if that fails, who knows.
James

Post by James »

You could post on the forum in site feedback section? http://community.betfair.com/site_feedb ... e-feedback

Post by Guest »

Doesn't look like this was related to the fact that I was using a US-English Beta version.

I have just installed version 2.1, British English release, cleared all cookies, and Betfair *still* shows dollars.

Firefox and IE continue to correctly show Pounds.

:evil:
therube

Post by therube »

Are you actually in the US or UK?
If you are physically in the US, it may be "sniffing" that & so displaying $$ for you instead of pounds.

Looks like you need a login, so maybe they have a (user) option to set local?

http://www.betfair.com/
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Post by Guest »

Sorry, this is Vache here - for some reason I can't log in to MozillaZine forums. It keeps telling me I have exceeded the maximum number of attempts and now have to solve a captcha, but each time I do correctly solve the captcha and enter the correct password (just e-mailed to me via a "forgot password" process), it just prompts me again. I can't log in.

Anyway, I am physically located in the UK, and ALL other browsers on my system correctly display Pounds, not Dollars, without logging in to Betfair. It is definitely not using my IP address, or anything else about my system in general, to guess my location. This is a SeaMonkey-specific issue.

More seriously, Google Shopping results also display prices in dollars - this is with a clean Windows XP build, with a fresh install of the very latest stable British English version of SeaMonkey - just installed five minutes ago.

Firefox and IE continue to correctly display Pounds in both BetFair and Google on the same system.

This is currently preventing me from using SeaMonkey as my main browser.

Surely other UK-based users have noticed this? I can't be alone?