[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
sterno66

Re: [Ext] Extension Options Menu

Post by sterno66 »

K4RBQT99 wrote:Hi, a suggestion: I think that the options menu will look more integrated to the Firefox menu if it is added directly inside of 'Add-ons' element, transforming it in a splitmenu.

im not sure i understand what you mean :?:
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

K4RBQT99 wrote:Hi, a suggestion: I think that the options menu will look more integrated to the Firefox menu if it is added directly inside of 'Add-ons' element, transforming it in a splitmenu.

I'll check out how much work that would be. If it's just changing the class to split item and adding some children, I'll probably do it. If it's a bunch of javascript I'm going to leave it as is.

I have changed the active theme highlighting to bold text instead of the check mark. I thought about highlighting it the same as when you mouse over an menu item, but that added more css and I like the look of bold better.

Version 1.3 of Themes Menu should show up soon if it's not on the mirrors you download from already.
sterno66

Post by sterno66 »

nice update i like it :mrgreen:
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I like Themes Menu 1.3 also. :)
sterno66

Post by sterno66 »

can this be made so update works and says there is an update available ?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

sterno66 wrote:can this be made so update works and says there is an update available ?

Auto updates only seem to work reliably on supported release builds of Firefox. That would mean Firefox 4.0.1 and below. The extension developer has no control over the addon update process.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

DMCrimson wrote:How about rolling these two extensions into one? Thank you very much for this:)
I probably won't do that. I'm not sure if everyone who uses one extension also uses the other (maybe in the future if it seems like a lot of people want it to happen.)

I looked more in to this. The Add-ons menu item has a node type of menuitem. There is no way to change it to splitmenu without doing lots of work (nodes are read only.) I would have to replace the original menu, which, if any other extensions use that menu item it would break one if not both extensions. I'm not willing to do that.

sterno66 wrote:can this be made so update works and says there is an update available ?
At this point, Themes Menu won't update because it has not been reviewed yet. I also only set it up for a preliminary review. I will eventually ask for a full review, but as of now, there are two warnings when I upload new versions, but I can't find out what the warnings are (the spage that is supposed to tell me never finishes loading.) Until I see what they are, I don't want to waste a reviewers time. Plus what JayhawksRock posted.

I am also posting version 1.4 of Themes Menu. I made the code to make the current theme's menu item bold much simpler.
patrickneil

Re: [Ext] Extension Options Menu / Themes Menu

Post by patrickneil »

I have the Add-ons open in the sidebar, any chance I could get this button to do that when I right click it, instead of opening in a new tab?
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

patrickneil wrote:I have the Add-ons open in the sidebar, any chance I could get this button to do that when I right click it, instead of opening in a new tab?

I don't think I'll add an option to do that for a couple of reasons. First, I use a built in command to open the Add-ons manager, "openAddonsMgr();" that does some checks before it decides where to open. Second, If Mozilla changes the Add-ons page, it could break. And third, Mozilla is moving toward "in-content UI" where just about everything opens in a tab without the nav bar. This would change that. However, it's not very hard to edit the extension to do what you want. You will need to download a copy of the extension. Rename that file so it ends in .zip instead of .xpi. Assuming you are using Windows, you can now left-click on the extension and see the files inside. Go into the "chrome" folder. Go into the "content" folder. Copy "OptionsMenu.js" and "OptionsMenuOverlay.xul" someplace convenient (like your desktop.) Right-click on OptionsMenu.js and select "Open with..." Select Wordpad. Replace

Code: Select all

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/xre/app-info;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIXULAppInfo).ID == '{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}' ? BrowserOpenAddonsMgr() : openAddonsMgr();

with

toggleSidebar("EOMSidebar")

Save the file and drag it back to the window you copied it out of (allow it to add the file to the .zip) Close that file. Now open "OptionsMenuOverlay.xul" the same way with Wordpad. Before the last line in that file that says "</overlay>" add

<broadcasterset id="mainBroadcasterSet">
      <broadcaster id="EOMSidebar"
         sidebarurl="about:addons"
         sidebartitle="Add-ons Manager"
         type="checkbox"
         group="sidebar"/>
   </broadcasterset>

Save, close and drag the file back to the .zip. Finally go up one folder level and go into the "skin" folder. Copy "button.css" to the desktop. Open it eith Wordpad and add to the very bottom of the file

#sidebar { max-width: none !important; }

save, close and drag it back to the original window. Close the window and rename the .zip back to .xpi. Now you should be able to drag that file into Firefox and let it install. After that restart and when you right-click the Extension Options icon it should toggle the sidebar with the Add-ons manager in it. If you only want it to only open the sidebar, change the line that says "toggleSidebar("EOMSidebar")" to

toggleSidebar("EOMSidebar", true)

If you can't get it to work, I can try to find somewhere to upload a version that is like that for you, but I'll have to set up an account, etc. and I really don't want to do all of that.

edit:the end of the first line to be changed will be changing in version 1.16 (uploaded, but not reviewed as of this posting) from BrowserOpenAddonsMgr() : openAddonsMgr(); to BrowserOpenAddonsMgr("addons://list/extension") : openAddonsMgr("addons://list/extension");, but since you should be replacing that, it shouldn't matter.
sterno66

Post by sterno66 »

i can not get 1.5 to work nothing shows in the menu
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

Neither of the new versions show a menu, nothing in error console.
sterno66

Post by sterno66 »

can we see a fix for this ?
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

Well, I think we will:) But as for now, EOM 1.15 work, but theme switcher 1.4 is nowhere to be seen:/
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I just uploaded the versions again. I'm using the latest nightly build of Firefox. Apparently the way the Add-ons Manager works changed slightly. Until recently, Firefox versions 4,5,6 and 7 were all very similar. You may have to give it a few minutes for the update to be pushed out to all of the mirror sites. The version number won't change. It will just be a different file (it was fastest for me to do it that way.)
sterno66

Post by sterno66 »

good job buddy it works now :mrgreen: