plugin-container using 70% of my CPU!?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
warakawa

plugin-container using 70% of my CPU!?

Post by warakawa »

what is plugin-container and how do I get it to stop using all my CPU?
dfoulkes

Re: plugin-container using 70% of my CPU!?

Post by dfoulkes »

AFAIK for now... the container only supports Flash related stuff... in other words, that's is were your Flash sites are running from... at least the flash part.

Maybe your Flash is out of date... Updated it recently? ... in fact... maybe other apps too?

BTW... if you view a large number of Flash related sites at the same time that number will be up there... and as far as I know certain routines will use larger chunks of cpu if nothing else is going on... that's usually in the control of the OS and when other stuff is running the OS either reduces or increases the various process allocations. But, I suppose that a faulty plugin could cause problems too.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-contai ... ss_plugins
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Agozer

Post by Agozer »

AFAIK, the plugin-container process is used for all media plugins, not just Flash. Disabling said process might help, see http://techdows.com/2010/07/how-to-disa ... refox.html or other threads on MozillaZine on how to disable the process.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah, after re-reading that link I posted it looks like it's been expanded beyond what I first read... some time ago.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Regardless, plugin-container is a process that Firefox uses to isolate plugins from the rest of the browser. Any activity going on in plugin-container is the responsibility of that plugin.

I believe you can see which plugin is in which plugin-container process in the "Processes" tab in Task Manager, if you show the "Command Line" column. (The plugin's dll file is mentioned somewhere in the command line argument.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I could not find much detail in the Task mgr for the process... probably not enough coffee yet :lol: ... anyway, the Sysinternals-Process explorer displays lots of internal data about the process.