Close tab without clicking "leave this page" dialog box

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sixpacks

Close tab without clicking "leave this page" dialog box

Post by sixpacks »

I am wondering if it is possible to close a tab without having to click on the "leave this page" dialog box. I don't trust confirmation pop ups or any other kind of popup that requires a click of a button to close or go back in history to another page. I have a screenshot and as you can see there is some kind of malware happening on the tab. I cannot close this tab without end process in task manager. Is there an addon or setting in about:config that will allow the closing of the tab, regardless of the dialog box, or disabling of the dialog box all together?
Thanks!
trolly

Re: Close tab without clicking "leave this page" dialog box

Post by trolly »

This is (most likely) a request from the page itself. You need to disable JS for that to disappear.
Firefox only warns if you leave an encrypted page.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
sixpacks

Post by sixpacks »

Thanks for the response. I still don't understand why I can't close the tab or even exit firefox without clicking that box or ending process. Very irritating.
trolly

Post by trolly »

A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
sixpacks

Post by sixpacks »

Great resource but I don't think that this is an error or something going wrong. I think this is by design, as in this is how it is supposed to work. I just was hoping there was a way around this or a way to disable this functionality in firefox either via an addon or through changing settings. Thanks for your suggestions.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I can close every tab without any message (and i can not remember seeing one in the last several years). Only if i close several tabs (e.g. a complete window) then i get a warning. So this is not by design.
sixpacks

Post by sixpacks »

OK here is a way to show you what I mean. On this page http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/OnBeforeUnloadDemo1.htm enter in some info into the boxes and submit. It then pops up the dialog box and you will not be able to close tab or exit browser. The only difference from the one I am talking about is that you don't need to enter anything into a form for the popup dialog box to be shown. So basically I would like to overide/block the "onbeforeunload". I appreciate you but you are not being helpful by telling me something is wrong with my firefox install when it is clearly "by design".
trolly

Post by trolly »

You did not say that you know about onbeforeunload. This is a page feature (or annoyance) not a firefox feature and therefor not controlled by firefox.

As i said, that is from the page itself and you need to disable JS to prevent that.

A more precise method is to install greasemonkey and use this script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/23865
sixpacks

Post by sixpacks »

Ahh yes! I only learned of onbeforeunload while searching for an example of the dialog box I was asking about. But this should work for now. Thanks again for your help.
trolly

Post by trolly »

These events are a real nuisance. There are discussion how to deal with them in a better way.
sixpacks

Post by sixpacks »

Thats good to hear. Even to make firefox able to close the window/tab when this dialog box is shown would be most welcomed for me.