The "request receipt" does not work in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
StephenL

The "request receipt" does not work in Thunderbird

Post by StephenL »

How do I get the "request receipt" to work? I have revised the settings under Account and Options so it is always on, but it still appears not to be working.
stugots

Post by stugots »

Stephen, just because you request a return receipt doesn't mean the recipient has to send you one!

Depending on the mail client he/she is using, it may automatically send the receipt, or it might ask the recipient if he/she wants to send one. The recipient may simply decline to send you a receipt!

Indeed, Firefox gives you this very option.

I'm not saying that there isn't a bug in return receipts, but, you need to be aware of this when you use them.

John
StephenL

Post by StephenL »

John:
I agree with you 100%, but I was testing by sending to myself and noticed this was not working. Yes, I have had situations where people deleted the message, but I still received a notification telling me they did not read the email. In that case, they by accident deleted an important email by mistake without realizing it and it was a good thing I had turned on the feature at the time (via Outlook Express). This is a "must have" for me, therefore I will go back to Outlook Express until a patch is ready. Otherwise, I think it is a very good product.
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

prelog

Post by prelog »

StephenL,

I'll point you to bug 273356 - Return receipts not working on POP3 - both sending & receiving using Global Inbox.

You'll need to upgrade to a branch nightly that's dated 2004-12-10 or later. You can probably safely grab the latest one from the ftp site.

For future reference, post which version of Thunderbird (Help -> About Mozilla Thunderbird) you are using, what account type (POP/IMAP) you're testing from, and any other settings specific to your problem - it may help you get a better and/or faster answer.

Let us know how it goes.

[EDIT: sorry unghost - you just beat me to it :)]
StephenL

Post by StephenL »

To Unghost and Prelog:
The "request receipt" problem still persists. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was just very busy with ths children being off school this week. Here is summary of events:

1. The initial version I downloded of Thunderbird was 20041206.
2. Last night I removed that version using the add/remove from the control panel under Win XP and installed Thunderbird 20041221 from the ftp site in your email above, (after checking help -> About Mozilla Thunderbird)
3. The Sever type I am using is POP.

After installing the newer version of Thunderbird software, I noticed all my folders/emails were still there unaltered and it did not ask me the initial question about gathering the information from Outlook Express, (like it did the first time). This suggests to me maybe the removal was incomplete and some old files were not removed that should have been. This is I think the "request receipt" feature is still not working in this newer version of Thunderbird. Should I also be checking and doing a manual clean up of some folders/files? If you need any other information about my system, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Stephen

P.S. By the way I was amazed at how fast you got back to me, it appears I am the slow link in this one. Blizzard , Norton and MS could learn from your customer service model.
b3virq3b

Post by b3virq3b »

StephenL wrote:After installing the newer version of Thunderbird software, I noticed all my folders/emails were still there unaltered and it did not ask me the initial question about gathering the information from Outlook Express, (like it did the first time).

That's because your user profile is not removed when you uninstall Thunderbird, and that is the intended behaviour. We do not want people losing their mail whenever they upgrade, or do we?
vertigo451

Post by vertigo451 »

StephenL wrote:After installing the newer version of Thunderbird software, I noticed all my folders/emails were still there unaltered and it did not ask me the initial question about gathering the information from Outlook Express, (like it did the first time). This suggests to me maybe the removal was incomplete and some old files were not removed that should have been. This is I think the "request receipt" feature is still not working in this newer version of Thunderbird. Should I also be checking and doing a manual clean up of some folders/files? If you need any other information about my system, please let me know.

The reason that your emails are still there is that they are not removed at uninstall, but remain in your profile directory. If you wish to remove those files (for whatever reason) check out here for more information. I will check a nightly to see if the bug has been fixed - it should not be a profile problem however.

Edit: b3virq3b beat me to it.

Edit2: I downloaded the newest nightly build from here. and it looks like the bug has been fixed. I sent an email to myself and I got the prompt to send back a reciept.
StephenL

Post by StephenL »

Vertigi451:

Still no luck. I just installed Thunderbird V1.0 20041222 and the "request receipt" is still not working. If I use Outlook Express, I get the prompt asking me the question, "do you want to send back a receipt". For Thunderbird, I get nothing when i use the "request receipt" feature. What do you recommend?

Also, how do I remove all the data files, since I already have a backup in Outlook Express? Are you sure there are no systems files under the profile that could be causing me this grief. Your link above takes me to the profile page but it does not actually discuss how to purge any of those folders or files under Profile. Or just manually delete all files under Profiles and that would be sufficient?

Sincerely, Stephen
0live

Post by 0live »

Steph check your profile/options - wfm (20041221 zip)
now i'm looking for a fixed fr-FR build, for my parents. i could not find any language pack like the xpi's for Firefox btw, only full milestone builds :/
Linux i686 (ubuntu-gutsy) | Minefield (20081118020400) | Tb 2.0.0.17pre (2008092517) w/ Lightning
StephenL

Post by StephenL »

Olive:
I never used the zip file (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... -win32.zip) from the link above.

I always took the exe file (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... dSetup.exe).

Does that make a difference?

Sincerely, Stephen
vertigo451

Post by vertigo451 »

StephenL,

Sorry for the delayed response...

The profile should not be the problem... so I would remove it at last resort. Just some background questions:

1) How do you have return receipts enabled? By account setting, globally, or by selecting Return Receipt before sending the email?

2) How have you tried sending the return receipt enabled email? Only too yourself? Have you tried it in Thunderbird and Outlook?
StephenL

Post by StephenL »

Vertigo451:

First, I tried it under account settings, where you select “Return Receipts” and click on the circle “Customize return receipts for this account” From here I placed a check mark in “When sending messages, always request a receipt”. Under these options, I picked leave it in my inbox” and “always return receipts for some messages” and answer “ask me” for all three remaining questions. When this failed, I turned off “request receipt” at the account settings.

I then jumped to Tools==> Options and under advanced, expanded the “return receipts” section. I then proceeded to fill in the options the same way as under account settings. When this failed, I turned it off.

From here, I decide to try by way of writing an email to myself. I clicked on “Write” email and then Options ==> “return receipt”. This also was futile.

If I go back to Outlook Express, create mail and click on Tools ==> Request Read Receipt, then it works and notifies me when I try to read the message. After the message comes in and I click on it, Outlook presents the following message, “The message sender has requested a response to indicate that you have read the message. Would you like to send a receipt”, followed by a Yes/No boxes. In Thunderbird, I get nothing like this.

I hope this explanation helps.

Thank you, ...Stephen
800ster

Post by 800ster »

See this thread, it does work in the latest branch builds. Works for me now as confirmed in the resolved bug report I opened (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273356+)

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... ht=receipt
tico

Post by tico »

It still doesn't work for me. Using branch 20041226.