Xft in default linux builds?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
darksheer

Xft in default linux builds?

Post by darksheer »

I was wondering when --enable-xft would be enabled by default on the Linux builds. I don't mind having to roll my own, but I think all linux users should be able to use anti-aliased fonts in their browser without having to do a custom build.

Thanks,
Brian
Ted Mielczarek

Hm

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Doesn't seem likely, since not everyone has XFT on their system. Yes, it would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it happening yet.
darksheer

Post by darksheer »

I suppose I hadn't really thought of it that way.

If the dev's would be interested in giving me access, I've been doing builds fairly regularly from my home machine (Redhat 8) with Xft enabled and I'd be willing to package them for the phoenix ftp site.
spark

Re: Xft in default linux builds?

Post by spark »

Take a look at http://www.mozilla.org/build/ftp-stage.html (Phoenix builds are located on the Mozilla servers)

Basically, you probably just want to mail ftp-stage@mozilla.org
darksheer

Post by darksheer »

well, I'd hope to talk to asa or one of the phoenix developers before doing that to see if they're even interested in it.
spark

Post by spark »

Yeah, fair enough. :mrgreen:
asa

Post by asa »

darksheer wrote:well, I'd hope to talk to asa or one of the phoenix developers before doing that to see if they're even interested in it.

Send me mail. Thanks.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
darksheer

Post by darksheer »

done
john_g

Re: Hm

Post by john_g »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Doesn't seem likely, since not everyone has XFT on their system. Yes, it would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it happening yet.

I would think that as a "state-0f-the-art" browser, that the Phoenix developers would like to show case (and test) true-type rendering,
after all, Phoenix is "still in the "development" stage and is not used by the great majority of Mozilla users as thier default browser.
johng
whiprush

Post by whiprush »

I'd like to throw in another vote for an XFT enabled phoenix by default. Does enabling XFT break anything on a non-XFT system?

Although, eventually when it turns on in the trunk wouldn't phoenix inherit that behavior?
Franck

enabling Xft

Post by Franck »

Is it possible to enable Xft using the advanced preferences extension ?
seb

Post by seb »

No, you need to compile Phoenix with XFT enabled.
asa

Post by asa »

whiprush wrote:I'd like to throw in another vote for an XFT enabled phoenix by default. Does enabling XFT break anything on a non-XFT system?

Although, eventually when it turns on in the trunk wouldn't phoenix inherit that behavior?

Yes, if we compiled XFT builds they wouldn't work on systems without XFT. We could certainly drop support for anything but RH8 in our nightly and release builds but that would probably piss a lot of people off.

--Asa
whiprush

Post by whiprush »

Thanks for the clarification. For the record, RH8 isn't the only one with font goodness. Debian user's can add it like this: (Adding this because I know someone will ask):

add

deb http://verbum.org/~walters/debian/ local/i386/

to /etc/apt/sources.list, then

apt-get install fontconfig libfontconfig1 libxft2

add your fonts and that's it!
joshk

Post by joshk »

Yeah whiprush - I use that + the dev headers to compile my Xft Phoenix on Debian unstbale... :)
<mspencer> Hitler used an aimbot.