Remove "Connection refused" popup dialogs

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
nidhogg

Remove "Connection refused" popup dialogs

Post by nidhogg »

Hi,

When visiting web sites that are under heavy load it is frequent to have a "connection refused" dialog pop up. Those popup dialogs are extremely annoying as it requires to close the popup and restart the process you used to visit the URL (type in the url text box, click a bookmark entry, whatever).

IMHO, it would be much better to display the warning message somewhere else (display a special html page with the error message or something...) and enable the user to just hit F5 to try again. Or there could be a "retry" button on the dialog. Anything that provides a way to quickly retry would be much appreciated :)

Nidhogg

PS: very nice browser, keep up the good work !
Ted Mielczarek

browser error pages

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Try adding this to user.js in your profile directory:

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true); 

That will display all errors as webpages.
nidhogg

Post by nidhogg »

That's better, thanks a lot :)

It is still impossible to just press F5 but I guess I can move my mouse and click the retry link for the time being.
joeyo

plugin dialog boxes?

Post by joeyo »

Is there a way to do the same thing for plugin dialog boxes? It's insanely annoying to have to hit cancel every time one of those pops up for some plugin that I don't have and don't especially want to download (flash, quicktime, etc...)

thanks
/joeyo
clav

Post by clav »

does anyone know why the error pages are disabled as standard?

as far as i remember they were enabled in Phoenix 0.2 and worked fine. the text was incomplete, but that hardly mattered

I hate the popup windows, because when you back to the tab it's says about:blank in the url bar, so you may have no idea what the page was going to be
leoz

Post by leoz »

clav wrote:does anyone know why the error pages are disabled as standard?

as far as i remember they were enabled in Phoenix 0.2 and worked fine. the text was incomplete, but that hardly mattered

I hate the popup windows, because when you back to the tab it's says about:blank in the url bar, so you may have no idea what the page was going to be

Unfortunately I don't have a complete answer for you. Asa gave me the complete answer
on the old forums awhile back and there is a bug in bugzilla for tracking progress.

I think there are some problems with history when error pages are used - so back/forward
may not work as you expect - which is why they turned it off.

I use error pages and have been very happy with them - hopefully at some point they'll
get turned on by default again.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

leoz wrote:[...] and there is a bug in bugzilla for tracking progress.

Bug 28586 - Should use error page and not dialog for inaccessible pages (placeholder)
Ted Mielczarek

Re: plugin dialog boxes?

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

joeyo wrote:Is there a way to do the same thing for plugin dialog boxes? It's insanely annoying to have to hit cancel every time one of those pops up for some plugin that I don't have and don't especially want to download (flash, quicktime, etc...)

thanks
/joeyo

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83754

It's still in progress. Would be nice if they'd finish that. I might take a crack at it with the existing patch when I get my new computer setup.