[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dmccunney

Re: [Ext] Extension Options Menu / Themes Menu

Post by dmccunney »

Alan Baxter wrote:
dmccunney wrote:it would be nice to know which extensions the various FF versions think are incompatible, even though they install and work as expected when compatibility checks are turned off.

Hi, Dennis. The Add-ons Manager already identifies the installed incompatible extensions even if compatibility checks are turned off. Each incompatible extension has an annotation of the form "Digger is incompatible with Firefox 4.0.1". Don't you see it?

Yes, it does, and brain fart on my end.

As it happens, I don't see it, but that's because I use custom CSS enabled with Stylish to provide a more compact Addons display. I can drill down for each listing to see compatibility, but the fact that it's theoretically incompatible doesn't show by default.

Also, the Is It Compatible? extension lists the compatibility range for each extension. It's not compatible with Fx 5.0 and newer, and I haven't tested it with those programs. If you want to check it out though, it may work.

Don't need it, and won't bother. I use Extension List Dumper to fill in another gap left by the demise of TT. It generates the same sort of customizable list of what I have installed that TT used to, and incompatible extensions are flagged in that list. It's broken in Aurora and Nightly - it's installed and present, but the Dump List button no longer appears in the Addons Manager. It still works fine in FF 4.01 and 5.0 beta, and since I use the same profile for all, I can dump a list from them when needed.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

dmccunney wrote:I don't see it, but that's because I use custom CSS enabled with Stylish to provide a more compact Addons display. I can drill down for each listing to see compatibility, but the fact that it's theoretically incompatible doesn't show by default.

Ouch! Actually there's a bug in Compatibility Reporter where the Compatibility buttons don't show up when you first open the Add-ons Manager. Just switch the left pane and return to Extensions pane to view them. Also, the 'incompatible' extensions have red stripes background on default theme.

p.s.
Sorry for O.T.

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Zoolcar9 wrote:
dmccunney wrote:I don't see it, but that's because I use custom CSS enabled with Stylish to provide a more compact Addons display. I can drill down for each listing to see compatibility, but the fact that it's theoretically incompatible doesn't show by default.

Ouch! Actually there's a bug in Compatibility Reporter where the Compatibility buttons don't show up when you first open the Add-ons Manager. Just switch the left pane and return to Extensions pane to view them. Also, the 'incompatible' extensions have red stripes background on default theme.

I'm using this CSS rather than the one you linked to. But looking again, I note it too has the stripes on the default theme. Managed to not notice that before... :oops:
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

I've managed to port it to SeaMonkey 2.1
https://gist.github.com/1033759

The only strange things is both menu and button each has two menupopups #-o

Image Image
My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

The chrome.manifest is calling multiple .xul files and since I don't id the menupopups, they get added multiple times. I would need to add flags like "application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}" to the manifest file or id the menupopups. I have an almost working version, but I won't be able to work on it for at least another 12-16 hours.

edit:I probably wouldn't overlay the communicator. I would have to find the browser window to open the Add-ons manager on right-click and the menu doesn't really fit in the tools menu for the other windows.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Chris000001 wrote:The chrome.manifest is calling multiple .xul files and since I don't id the menupopups, they get added multiple times. I would need to add flags like "application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}" to the manifest file or id the menupopups. I have an almost working version, but I won't be able to work on it for at least another 12-16 hours.

edit:I probably wouldn't overlay the communicator. I would have to find the browser window to open the Add-ons manager on right-click and the menu doesn't really fit in the tools menu for the other windows.

Adding an ID would be the sanest thing to do.

Phil
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Version 1.19 of Extension Options Menu supports SeaMonkey. It should be fully reviewed in the next week or so. You can get it by clicking the 1.18 link in the release notes box on the add-on page.
Narulez

Post by Narulez »

Hi, I have an idea for the 'Extension Options Menu' addon.
You can add an option at the top of the list that check for addons updates and, if there are any update, open the addon manager in a new tab.
Can you do it? It would be very useful!

Narulez
Chris000001

Re: [Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Che

Post by Chris000001 »

I didn't add a menu item to Extension Options Menu. I did upload a new add-on I had made for myself and hadn't planned on releasing (read the notes in the first post of this thread regarding the issues) that will check for all add-ons updates.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-checker/
makondo

Post by makondo »

Chris, would it be possible for you to add an option to the AUC to exclude a category? I always get updates available for my styles which i ignore 'cause all but 1 of my 150 styles are mine and i know better if they need an update or not. It annoys me to no end to see updates available - always! - just to go to the AM and see they're all for my styles. I did ask Jason to exclude styles from the updates check but he mumbled something i don't even remember.
TIA!
Last edited by makondo on July 10th, 2011, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I think I should be able to do that. I'm currently using a 'getAllAddons' command, but I see there is also a 'getAddonsByTypes' command that I can pass an array of types to. I think I could just make the types in the array changeable. It'll be a few days until I can work on it though. No guarantees :)
makondo

Post by makondo »

Awesome! I'll take the 'No guarantees' option! And - as usual - no hurry here. Thanks!
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

Thanks for the release of AUC. If it's possible, please consider to add an option for to display a notification when updates are found, as the old Fx behaviour lost with the release 4.

About the impossibility of to show the toolbar button while customizing, maybe you can to use only css for to control the related option instead; there is a selector (toolbar["customizing"]) that can to be useful for to overcome this.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

makondo wrote:Awesome! I'll take the 'No guarantees' option! And - as usual - no hurry here. Thanks!
I had some time and added options to select which types of add-ons to check for updates. Version 1.1 should be pushed out soon.

@K4RBQT99: I'll probably work on the hidden icon at some point. It's not high on my list since there is a workaround and I had never originally planned on releasing this add-on. As for the notification, that's why I added the option to always show toolbar button. I put the icon on my toolbar and then deselect the option. That way the icon only shows when there are updates. If you are talking about an alert type dialog, I probably won't add that.

edit: Plus the option to take you to the Add-ons Manager Available Updates page should alert you and tell you which add-ons have updates waiting.

edit 2: Version 1.2. Icon shows during customization even if set to hide when no updates are available.
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

Chris: could you tell me how I'd be able to use icons from update notifier? I mean the whole icon pack is in one file, and -moz-image-region doesn't seem to work if I edit your JS:P