Proof of Concept New Google Suggest Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
ChaosFish

Post by ChaosFish »

I think Google Suggest extension should apply to all seach plugins (not only Google's).

The reason is: why not?
enesgee

Google Suggest for a dictionary

Post by enesgee »

I just finished implementing something similar to Google suggest for a dictionary database.

http://www.objectgraph.com/dictionary

The code is clean and you could see it by using "View Source"

The dictionary database is on an SQL server (just one table -total of 18000+ words) with an index on the word column.
varun21

Google Suggest with Firefox logo as Homepage

Post by varun21 »

Guys, this might be tough on you. Can anyone think of this wonder?

the default FF Homepage is http://www.google.com/firefox?client=fi ... S:official
this gets u to the google homepage with the FF logo.

this takes you to google suggest
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

Can we have the google suggest homepage with the firefox logo.
abs

Post by abs »

the google suggest engine is missing in ff 1.0.1. maybe it's not compatible, but doesn't say anything like that in the extensions view.

related to this:
the url "search web for: " is set where? coz i wanted to switch that to google suggest by default.

ty
abs
abs

Post by abs »

i re-added the engine. it started working again. didn't have to reinstall the GSuggest extension.

the icon is missing though. will check if it comes back when i re-start. i tried reinstall the GSuggest extension, that didn't help (coz it's the extension, got nothing to do with the icon of the GoogleSuggest search plugin-in)
FireManiac

Post by FireManiac »

Works fine for me in 1.0.1. Still buggy though.
I have an annoying habit of correcting people.
(But that's okay since I am always right)
abs

Post by abs »

abs wrote:i re-added the engine. it started working again. didn't have to reinstall the GSuggest extension.

the icon is missing though. will check if it comes back when i re-start. i tried reinstall the GSuggest extension, that didn't help (coz it's the extension, got nothing to do with the icon of the GoogleSuggest search plugin-in)
i just remembered, i'm still on 1.0 (i downgraded). i suppose the re-add step will work in 1.0.1 also.
Ihoss

Post by Ihoss »

Maybe you could add the plugin to the extension, so you don't have to install both? If you used the javascript function to install it then it should be easy to add the plugin when the installation file is run.
abs

Post by abs »

Ihoss wrote:Maybe you could add the plugin to the extension, so you don't have to install both? If you used the javascript function to install it then it should be easy to add the plugin when the installation file is run.
good idea
siguy

fine and dandy..

Post by siguy »

Hey cool stuff in the works, what I would really love to see is an extension to bring google suggest directly to the location bar. I prefer to skip the google search bar and use the user.js trick to type my searches directly into the location bar and have google suggest throw me results into the window as long as the search contains no "."'s, now what would be really cool is if you could have google suggests results pop down when you start typing anything into the location bar. I think that would be really neat and I can't wait to see if someone hacks that out :)