Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yah

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gsjpom

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yah

Post by gsjpom »

Have used and loved Mozilla Thunderbird for a few years now and love it. Recently had to get a new computer (old one finally died). new computer uses Windows 7. Downloaded tHUNDERBIRD 3.1.10 - worked great for a few days - and then started getting the following error message when trying to access or send e-mails: Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded: invalid user/password. The server settings are what they should be both for incoming and outgoing (using A T&T for internet) and they cannot help as they seem to know very little about Thunderbird. Can access and send e-mail on the A T&T Yahoo program and g-mail - but now cannot really use thunderbird. It will occasionally download e-mails (about every 10th attempt) but cannot send at all. The passwords seem to be the correct ones. Ideas? Thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att

Post by tanstaafl »

What changed in your configuration shortly before this problem started? Since it occasionally works that seems to rule out bad password, username, server settings, firewall settings etc.

If your anti-virus program scans outgoing messages disable that feature. It can have problems due to the secure connection, and if the recipient doesn't scan their incoming mail they have bigger problems to worry about anyways. Leave the scanning of incoming messages enabled.

Anything else that uses the Internet have problems?

If you run an internet speed test does it return results close to what you expect?
gsjpom

Post by gsjpom »

I just noticed that Thunderbirsd is stuck in "safe mode". I have re-started the computer three times and it still comes up in safe mode. I checked The target in the shortcut is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" which appears to be correct. Now sometimes it will work and (both sending and receiving) and then a minute later we get the same old error message. No other problems with other internet applications, including Mozilla Firefox. Speed test seemed normal. Am unaware of any changes but I am well aware that things can change without knowing it has happened. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
gsjpom

Post by gsjpom »

figured out to open in non-safe mode -- no change.
Mrs Carrothead

Post by Mrs Carrothead »

I too have this problem.

My Thunderbird was working fine, then I was prompted to change my network password, which I duly did, and Thunderbird gave up the ghost. I assumed that it was because my password has changed, but deleting my saved passwords and re-entering the new one when prompted did not do anything. I even went for a clean install just in case, but no change.

Outlook, on the other hand, is working fine. But because I'm on the work network and running Outlook 2000 (I know!), I cannot see to compare server settings.

Any reason why Thunderbird refuses to accept my new network password?

(I know this is not identical - but I'm receiving the same message and nowhere else has anything that's worked....)
motor5622

Post by motor5622 »

I have been have the same trouble with the password for a few weeks. It would work intermittently but not it will not work at all. I did not change anything with the configuration of the computer unless windows did an update which I didn't know of. I checked all the incoming and outgoing settings with my ISP and try are correct I even changed my password thinking that might help but to no avail. Somebody please help cuz charters webmail is terrible and I can't stand outlook (it keeps throwing all my mail in the trash)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

tanstaafl wrote:If your anti-virus program scans outgoing messages disable that feature. It can have problems due to the secure connection, and if the recipient doesn't scan their incoming mail they have bigger problems to worry about anyways. Leave the scanning of incoming messages enabled.
motor5622

Post by motor5622 »

Ok this is getting crazy. All the setting are set to what charter says they should be, I changed my password, completely uninstalled and re installed, my antivirus does not scan out going only incoming (I even totally disabled the antivirus), sending of password is not done securely. and it still is not working. Please help cuz I can't stand the way outlook works and I need my thunderbird back.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is the full text of the error message when it doesn't work? If that error message mentions a email address replace the username with something generic when quoting it.
motor5622

Post by motor5622 »

It says "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.charter.net responded: [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again." then after I hit ok this message comes up "Login to server pop.charter.net failed." The same messages come up no mater how many times I try it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That error message ("Mail server pop.charter.net responded: [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance,") indicates the issue is not with Thunderbird. Do you have that same account open in a browser? It sounds as though the server is preventing Thunderbird from downloading because it believes the account is already being accessed.
motor5622

Post by motor5622 »

That is what I thought, but I get the same message even after I start the computer up for the day and I know there is no one else trying to access my mail at 5:30 in the morning. I contacted my ISP and they swear they didn't change anything and all my setting are correct, and of course they are very unhelpful on any program other than their web mail (which is horrible) I leave it run almost all day and the message never changes. What ever happened to cause it to do this is pretty recent because it has been loaded and running on this computer for better than a year then about 2 months ago it would give me that message, I'd have to just close the program and restart it and all would be good and it just got progressively worse until it just won't do anything anymore.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Work with your email provider to reset the password on that account. Log onto the webmail interface (using a browser) and be certain to LOGOUT before closing the browser. Then reboot the computer and try again to access the account with Thunderbird.
motor5622

Post by motor5622 »

Ok so I contacted my ISP changed my password used it to log in to their webmail and it worked, logged out and restarted my computer then tried again. Still the same message ](*,) Is there an update that windows could have sent down which would be causing this?
gsjpom

Post by gsjpom »

I just spent almost two hours on the phone with tech support of my internet provider (not to name names but the initials are a t & T) and finally got what may be an answer. Per a supervisor there, there have been new commands (??) issued by Microsoft and perhaps others updating software that have reconfigured the connection (or something like that - you can tell how tech savvy I am!!) and that was probably the problem. They were going to send me over to the pay tech support site but I just did not have the heart to do it tonight. Will try in the next day or so. Thunderbird is still working intermittently (more less than more) and occasionally you can receive but not send. After I deal with the pay tech support people I will let y'all know the result.