Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Penny Holt

Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

Post by Penny Holt »

I just updated to Firefox 5 as per instructions. I got a dialogue box telling me that my Google Toolbar for Firefox 7.1.20101113Wb1 was not compatible, but Firefox would update it when I restarted. I hit Okay, then restarted Firefox. No such luck. Another dialogue box saying it was still incompatible appeared, but my toolbar, on which I had many customizations was gone. How do I get it back as I had it, please? :(
Penny Holt
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox 5 killed my Google Toolbar

Post by DanRaisch »

You'll need to wait for Google to release an update for the toolbar that will make it compatible with 5.0.
Penny Holt

Post by Penny Holt »

Sigh! I was afraid that might be the answer. How will I know when that is? Thanks.
Penny Holt
Canada
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

In about:addons, click on the "more" link and check that it is set to update automatically. Firefox will then check and download it as soon as it's available.

In the interim, you could download the Add-On Compatibility extension. This will enable you to activate the toolbar in Firefox 5. However, there is no guarantee that it will work correctly (or maybe even at all): the extension is really for use with beta versions of Firefox but can be used with final versions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api
Penny Holt

Post by Penny Holt »

Excellent! Done! Thanks a million! :)
Penny Holt
Canada
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Google Toolbar 7.1.20101113Wb1 is an old version from last November. Try installing the latest version from here - https://www.google.com/intl/en/toolbar/ff/index.html

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Penny Holt

Post by Penny Holt »

Tried that. Didn't work. Not compatible, either. I'll just have to be patient and wait for Google to catch up, I guess.
Thanks
Penny Holt
Canada
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Edmeister did post in another thread that the latest version of Google Toolbar does work if you use the Add-on Compatibility Reporter I linked to. Once you have installed and enabled that, you should be able to force Firefox to download the latest version.
Eric65

Post by Eric65 »

Or just uninstall Firefox 5. I just did, because Google Toolbar which I use for my bookmarks still doesn't work with the newly released version of Firefox 5. I'm back to Firefox 4.01 :(
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Eric65 wrote:Or just uninstall Firefox 5. I just did, because Google Toolbar which I use for my bookmarks still doesn't work with the newly released version of Firefox 5. I'm back to Firefox 4.01 :(

That's totally unnecessary. See the posts above and just use the extension to provide compatibility.
Goddessoflove78

Post by Goddessoflove78 »

I did the update it worked like a charm. Thank you. I was just getting worried. :D :) :lol: =D>
Penny Holt

Post by Penny Holt »

Great! The add-on worked very well. There was my toolbar back, just like I left it. I'm happy.
Penny Holt
Canada
periboob

Post by periboob »

Just a quick preliminary look, this seems to have the Google Toolbar working, at least for the features I use most.

Under my FF profile, I found the GT extension in folder "{3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c}"
Then in the install.rdf file, I changed the targetApplication max version value from 4.0.* to 5.0.*

When I installed 5.0 the GT was installed normally. I assume that this is the equivalent to using the Compatibility Reporter to tweak?

Unfortunately I still get an occasional "The Connection was Reset" error with 5.0, just like 4.0.1
"The simple fact is, offense is taken, not given," ~Ricky Gervais

Post by 13013 »

periboob wrote:Just a quick preliminary look, this seems to have the Google Toolbar working, at least for the features I use most.

Under my FF profile, I found the GT extension in folder "{3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c}"
Then in the install.rdf file, I changed the targetApplication max version value from 4.0.* to 5.0.*

When I installed 5.0 the GT was installed normally. I assume that this is the equivalent to using the Compatibility Reporter to tweak?

Unfortunately I still get an occasional "The Connection was Reset" error with 5.0, just like 4.0.1

that sure was an easy fix. thanks
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

All the addon compatibility reporter does (aside from the "report compatibility" bit) is to add a bunch of preferences telling Firefox to not check version compatibility for extensions for specific versions of Firefox.