FF v5.00 "The page isn't redirecting properly" not correct

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
noibs

FF v5.00 "The page isn't redirecting properly" not correct

Post by noibs »

After using Firefox version 5.00 all morning, I believe I've found a single bug. I'm hesitant to file a bug report because of the detail required, especially when the bug may have to do with a single site.

Anyway, when I go to the Wall Street Journal home page for online subscribers <http://online.wsj.com/home-page> Firefox gives me the "The page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete" error. However, if I click on "Try Again" I get to the right page. If I use any prior version of FF, including v4.01, I don't get the error message.

If I start in safe mode with all of my extensions disabled in FF5, the error still happens. If I delete all wsj and barrons cookies, I don't get the error but I have to log into my account and then the next time I go to that page, I get the error.

If I enable receiving 3rd party cookies (normally disabled in my browsers) I still get the error. Cookies from the site are always enabled.

When the error happens, I'm actually at the <https://commerce.barrons.com> Web page and the error occurs when there is a redirect back to the online WSJ page.

I'm open to any suggestions relating to things I haven't tried; however, I'm not sure what else I can do other than disable extensions and enable all cookies and try again--which didn't work.

Thanks.

Re: FF v5.00 "The page isn't redirecting properly" not corr

Post by Guest »

that was on a computer running WinVista, and FF5.0
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Barrons is fine here on XP SP3/Fx 5. Couldn't check the WSJ because it auto-redirected me to the European site: that worked okay too, although the market data graph was slow to load compared with the rest.
noibs

Post by noibs »

Further information. This problem is on Mac OS X 10.6.7. For the error to occur, I have to have logged into my online WSJ account previously and the cookies associated with that login must be stored on my computer.

As I said above, if I delete all WSJ cookies, the error doesn't happen, but I have to log into my account. Once I do that and quit Firefox, it happens the next time I try to go the online WSJ.

It's not possible to recreate this without having a subscription to the online WSJ. I have reported this error to them.

Post by Guest »

uncheck [ ] Warn me when websites try to redirect
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

^ Ignore that, it has nothing to do with problem.

One thing you might try is removing the site from for the cookie exception list and then remove the cookie. When you log back in accept the cookie again and use keep until it expires.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
noibs

Post by noibs »

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it and didn't work once I had logged back in and accepted cookie. The next time I launched FF, it happened again.

Two things: 1. I think the WSJ/Barron's Web sites are pretty screwy in terms of bouncing a subscriber with cookies back and forth between the two sites. 2. The criteria FF uses for deciding when a redirect will or won't resolve itself was changed in FF5 as compared to previous versions.

Not the end of the world.
rgerdes

Post by rgerdes »

I'm having the same problem using win 7 64 bit - started when I upgraded to Firefox 5
Guest232424

Post by Guest232424 »

I am having the same problem with FF 5 and on both Mac and PC (running Winxp).
guest098765

Post by guest098765 »

Having this same problem with our corporate intranet. We use JASIG CAS as an authentication provider.

Ever since installing FF5.0, we get this same error when we access a secure portion that requires login. Never did it before. Doesn't do it in any other browser. Very annoying.
rgerdes

Post by rgerdes »

Looks like Firefox's "accelerated" release cycle idea isn't working? I believe we are still beta testing firefox 5.
rgerdes

Post by rgerdes »

I have been experimenting with changing the redirection limit and find if I set it to 80 the page does load.
However, it's faster to wait for the error message and hit try again.

Edit: 50 also works and is about as fast as waiting for the error.... :lol:
massonal

Post by massonal »

Is this problem being addressed? It occurs both with Firefox 5.0 and Firefox 6.0a2.
Art Masson
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Read Bug writing guidelines, especially the highlighted block at the top.