Flash audio keeps playing after closing tab or window.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GN85

Flash audio keeps playing after closing tab or window.

Post by GN85 »

The audio in youtube clips and other flash media keep playing for about a second after I close the tab or window that contains it.

Anyone else experiencing this slight annoyance?
kindofabuzz

Re: Flash audio keeps playing after closing tab or window.

Post by kindofabuzz »

the only cure i've found is to pause or stop the vid. Other wise I just live with it.
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
frednow

Post by frednow »

Upgraded to Firefox v3 not too long ago, and for me the problem is worse ... unless I remember to hit pause or stop, the audio continues to play until it's finished even though I've closed the tab, or even the whole window the tab is in. This happens in MySpace, YouTube, etc.

This never happened in Firefox v2.x, and it's not just annoying but a big time waster because it hijacks the audio for the whole computer, and especially if it's a 10 minute clip, or longer, it's a big drag.

Gotta be a known bug, right? It can't be an intentional design. Anyone have any info on a fix for this? Is it a Firefox bug or a Flashblock bug?

Using FF v3.0.6 in Mac OS 10.4.11, Flash Player 10, Flashblock 1.5.8

Thanks,
Fred
anonymous34

Post by anonymous34 »

I have just been doing a CTRL + ALT + DEL and closing the firefox process through task manager. That fixes it but is not ideal. Chrome is ok.
z0nker

Post by z0nker »

So no one has found a cure for this? I read somewhere else (can't remember) that it has to do with clashing FF extensions. Anyone know anything about it? I use Flashblock as well! That could be it.
deltoya

Post by deltoya »

I use to disable-reenable shockwave flash under tools/addons/plugins.
tha_tech_support

Post by tha_tech_support »

When I close a tab with media playing (youtube for example), the audio continues to play. If I click on the X to close firefox, the media will stop playing. I always have more than one tab open, so firefox doesn't actually close, it asked me is I want to save an quit. I just cancel out. It's annoying, but a workaround.

Post by 1234567 »

Have your firefox set to ask you if you want to close firefox when you try and close the program. When the audio keeps playing just click "x" and it will ask you if you are sure you want to close. Then just cancel the request. The audio will stop.

Post by Guest »

This is still a problem with the latest version. WTF?
alcexhim

Post by alcexhim »

Confirmed this bug is still present in nightly 7.0a1 (2011-06-25) running on Windows 7. I haven't tested it on Ubuntu yet, though I seem to recall this problem didn't happen with the Ubuntu-distributed version of Firefox (not sure of the version number off the top of my head).

The quickest workaround for me right now is to end the "plugin-container" process; that will crash the Flash player without having to close all windows and tabs. Then the next time you open or refresh the tab the Flash player will be loaded in good as new.

I came across this forum while searching for information on this bug. I also have extensions "Adblock Plus", "Download Statusbar", "Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus", "Firebug", "FoxyProxy Standard", "NoScript", "RefControl" *, "UnPlug" *. I'm not sure if those could possibly be affecting this issue.

* These last two are reportedly "incompatible" with the latest version of Firefox, but that could just be because I'm using the bleeding-edge version. :D

Considering this bug is still present in nightly, I hope someone finds out what's going on!

Cheers,
Michael