Where does firefox store temp. internet files ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
grobar

Where does firefox store temp. internet files ?

Post by grobar »

Hi can you tell me where does firefox stores temp internet files?
I switched from IE to FF, but firefox doesn't store photos and other files like iexplorer does in c:\Documents and Settings\users\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files !

Thank you
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Search

keyword: profile
MvD

Post by MvD »

You can also type about:cache in the address bar...
If God is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question. - Someone on the net
CPU-Z Info|Firefox Info
grobar

Post by grobar »

thx mvd,but where can i see those files on hard disk?
I found it in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xamg7v36.default\ but i can't see which files is a photo,which one is a video like i could when using explorer or opera...
grobar

Post by grobar »

I mean it's easier that way ,cause then i can sort & select the photos and copy it to a folder faster then typing about:cache etc...
MvD

Post by MvD »

firefox doesn't store cache files in their native format. So If your looking for a falsh or something you can't download to your HD, you will first have to find the name of the damn thing, search for it in the about:cache list and there you should get its name in the cache. Once you've founf this file you can simply rename it to 01.swf or whatever you are looking for.
If God is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question. - Someone on the net
CPU-Z Info|Firefox Info
grobar

Post by grobar »

thx a lot,that's too bad i hope they'll change that in a new version!
Merry christmas all!
Cheeers!
David H

Post by David H »

Actually, the files are in their native format. They've just had the file name changed to a random string. That's why you can rename them back so easily.

But there's really no need to go into the cache directly. All you have to do is find the file in about:cache, right click on the url it gives, and choose "save to disk", just like any other link. You can also use the Firefox find function on the pages to make it easier to find the links you're after.

For downloading lots of photos and such on a page, check out extensions such as Flashgot, Linky, or DownThemAll instead. It's much easier that way.

And no, the format is not going to change anytime soon. It's done that way partly as a security measure.
MvD

Post by MvD »

oops, i though I tried that before. For some reason I remember not being able to save stuff directly to the disk via about:cache ....
CPU-Z Info|Firefox Info
David H

Post by David H »

Actually, I should've mentioned that. The links on the main cache list page don't connect directly to the files themselves, but to an info page about the item. You have to go to the info pages to get to the actual download links. But then, that's what tabs are for, right? :)
grobar

Post by grobar »

thx so much david!!!
YourAdHere

How to force refresh of temp internet file?

Post by YourAdHere »

I read your discussion with interest because I thought it might have a solution to a problem I've noticed since switching to Firefox: some pages I read regularly contain jpgs and gifs that always have the same name even though the content has changed. I know I can force a reload to get a fresh image, but that means loading it and then reloading it. I was hoping I could just delete the cache copy in my autoexec.bat (I only view these pages once a day) but that doesn't appear to be possible. Is there maybe a parameter I can add to the link for the page to force a reload of all the content on the page?

As a specific example, the cartoon on the editorial page of the newspaper I read is always named cartoon.jpg. If I don't manually force a reload of the whole page, it always displays the same cartoon (the one in the cache), even though the paper publishes a new one every day (always named cartoon.jpg). If I click the reload button, the latest cartoon is displayed and remains the one to be displayed when I go to that page -- until I force a reload again. I want the latest copy displayed automatically. There are several other pages I view with similar problems.
Christian-79

Re: How to force refresh of temp internet file?

Post by Christian-79 »

YourAdHere wrote:I read your discussion with interest because I thought it might have a solution to a problem I've noticed since switching to Firefox: some pages I read regularly contain jpgs and gifs that always have the same name even though the content has changed. I know I can force a reload to get a fresh image, but that means loading it and then reloading it.

This might help:

Check for newer versions of the page in every visit

about:config -> browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

1 = Every time I view the page
0 = Once per session
3 = When the page is out of date (default)
2 = Never

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/networki ... prefs.html
madoktor1

Re: How to force refresh of temp internet file?

Post by madoktor1 »

Christian-79 wrote:
YourAdHere wrote:I read your discussion with interest because I thought it might have a solution to a problem I've noticed since switching to Firefox: some pages I read regularly contain jpgs and gifs that always have the same name even though the content has changed. I know I can force a reload to get a fresh image, but that means loading it and then reloading it.

This might help:

Check for newer versions of the page in every visit

about:config -> browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

1 = Every time I view the page
0 = Once per session
3 = When the page is out of date (default)
2 = Never

There is also an extension for this called "reloadevery" that gives a little more control over page refreshing. https://addons.update.mozilla.org/exten ... &pageid=14

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/networki ... prefs.html
Brian
Win/XP Home SP2;901 Mhz Athlon;256MB RAM;20 GB HD;Firefox 1.5;Thunderbird 1.5
YourAdHere

Refreshing

Post by YourAdHere »

Thanks folks. Your replies are most helpful!