Firefox not picking up any plugins

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Jinsoku

Firefox not picking up any plugins

Post by Jinsoku »

Humbug.

I hate quicktime. Installed quicktime because I needed to see something. In doing so, it decided that it had to take over everything. Ticked off by such actions, I uninstalled Quicktime, but FireFox kept wanting to keep ahold of it. So, I uninstalled it, hoping re-installing would fix it.

It didn't. When I go to sites that require Flash or mediaplayer or something like that, and I click "install missing plugins", it keeps saying "No Plugins Found", and it's REALLY irritating me to no end. I need to whipe my computer completely CLEAN of FireFox, registry and all, so I can re-install it and get everything working correctly again. All because of Quicktime. I swear, it's the devil.

Many thanks ahead of time.

And Happy Christmahannukwanzikuh.
illumina7

Re: Firefox not picking up any plugins

Post by illumina7 »

When I go to sites that require Flash or mediaplayer or something like that, and I click "install missing plugins", it keeps saying "No Plugins Found", and it's REALLY irritating me to no end. I need to whipe my computer completely CLEAN of FireFox, registry and all, so I can re-install it and get everything working correctly again. All because of Quicktime. I swear, it's the devil.

I also encountered a similar problem with the plug-in finder. I needed to play a flash video so I had firefox search for the plugin but it didn't work so I decided to go to Macromedia and download the plugin from them instead. It worked

Hence, I suggest that you DON'T delete firefox and instead go to quicktime's website to download "the offline installer plugin for firefox." I'm sure it'll solve your problem. You can also do this for all the other players (media player, etc.)
rtmjr50

Re: Firefox not picking up any plugins

Post by rtmjr50 »

Jinsoku wrote:Humbug.

I hate quicktime. Installed quicktime because I needed to see something. In doing so, it decided that it had to take over everything. Ticked off by such actions, I uninstalled Quicktime, but FireFox kept wanting to keep ahold of it. So, I uninstalled it, hoping re-installing would fix it.

It didn't. When I go to sites that require Flash or mediaplayer or something like that, and I click "install missing plugins", it keeps saying "No Plugins Found", and it's REALLY irritating me to no end. I need to whipe my computer completely CLEAN of FireFox, registry and all, so I can re-install it and get everything working correctly again. All because of Quicktime. I swear, it's the devil.

Many thanks ahead of time.

And Happy Christmahannukwanzikuh.

Know you don't ... all you really need to do is reset QT preferences in the QT program ....
read: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/flash. ... -flash10pr

Personally, all I use QT for is viewing .mov files ... all else is either WMP or Real ... and I have QT file types perference lock down to only play this type only ...

to check your plugins ...
read: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 508#888508 ... part [A]

to get any plugin for firefox ... go to the plugin site ....
read: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
Jinsoku

Post by Jinsoku »

Well, kind of one step ahead of you. I just uninstalled QuickTime. Period. However, now I can't get Windows Media Player to work at all. I got Flash to work. I can't get WMP to work now for the life of me. I even tried that ActiveX embedded thing. It installed and everything, but it will not run WMP.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing FireFox several times, yet it still has all the history, and all the bookmarks saved and everything, and I always have to reinstall Flash manually, (keeps saying no plugins found). I need to whipe my pc completely clean of FireFox, so that I may reinstall it and have everything work without a problem. So I guess after uninstall, I need to know exactly what registry files, and what extra files I need to delete afterwards so my computer will actually say, "hey! FireFox! Haven't had that in me, before!"
Jinsoku

Post by Jinsoku »

Huh. Went to the "about:plugins" thing from your link to check plugins, and it says I don't have the default Mozilla plugin enabled. What exactly is that?
WinLin

Post by WinLin »

All you probably needed to do was change the preferences in QT, you can select which file types it opens.

Uninstalling and reinstalling just replaces the program files. All your user information, bookmarks, cookies, history, etc are stored in your profile folder.

Search for terms like "clean install" and "profile folder" using the 'Search Mozillazine' box on the right hand side of this page. --------------------------------->

Leave the default Mozilla plugin disabled.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4 (MOOX M3)
-----------------
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7)
Gecko/20050421 Firefox/1.0.3 (Debian package 1.0.3-2)