Long term future of Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

JB

Re: Long term future of Camino?

Post by JB »

So sad..... so many years of enjoyment. :cry:
From Netscape to Chimera/Camino, it seems like I've been using this browser for ever. I remember the original Netscape Navigator as the only alternative to I.E. and then it was bought out by AOL and somehow being turned on to what became Camino.
Ever since inception it has been my default browser. It's light, it's fast and I just love Reinhold Penner's Caminicon and the ability to customize each aspect of the skin.
What to do now? I'll pray that there is a continuity.... [-o< there was mention of a web kit engine. I'll use Opera a bit, Safari, I guess and for sheer speed there is TurboWeb, but it will never be the same.
My sincere gratitude to all of you who have devoted your time to making this such a wonderful browser and to the community of users of which I have been helped and entertained by for lo these many years.. =D> =D> =D>
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

I have to say this news came as a nasty shock. I too have been using Camino for a long time now and am perfectly at home with it and its periodic quirks -- quirks like a well-respected and loved family member.

I have no intention of abandoning Camino, and those who know me well, know I use outstanding technology as long as I possibly can. "Somebody worked real hard to make that brilliant. It would be disrespectful to simply bin it."

I also still use my Newton MessagePad 2100 from time-to-time.

Regardless, I'm not a developer, and don't know anything about that side of things, but I do 'evangelize' products that I personally like and use.

Perhaps it is time to ramp it up. :wink:
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

@ upkeep: On a side note, you might want to update your version of Camino to the latest release, or your user agent string is incorrect. Either way, best take a look at it. ;)
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
jcraig

Post by jcraig »

After a long absence I thought I'd poke my head in as well. Another old-timer from the Chimera days. I killed my old build machine last December and it took until about a month ago to save my pennies for a new 17" MBP, but now there's nothing to build on it (mama and I are busy with a 1 year-old daughter anyway :-) ) I, too, can't imagine life without Camino. Neither Safari or Firefox ever completely just feel right. Despite not being around lately, I have been keeping tabs on things (esp. Bugzilla reports, etc.) and you guys are right, this group has been like a little family for a very long time. I wish I knew how to code...
There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.
stardomains

Post by stardomains »

I too have been using since the Chimera days and I have to say it is sad news hearing about this. I admit in the last few months I've been trying Chromium, Chrome and Safari out. But man, despite all the bells and whistles on those things, Camino still cranks down the page faster for me than any. All those pauses and spinning wheels on the other browsers can really add up and waste a fair amount of a person's day...and cause frustration. Camino has been and is great. Any petitions up yet to continue support for embedding?
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

RPMozley wrote:@ upkeep: On a side note, you might want to update your version of Camino to the latest release, or your user agent string is incorrect. Either way, best take a look at it. ;)

No, the user agent string is correct. I had an issue with sudden quits on a more recent version (2.0.6?) that seemed somewhat strange given how solid Camino has been over the years, so I just temporarily threw this back in. I'll sort it out with 2.0.7 when I get some time (Still a bit gun shy too). :wink:
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

OK. 2.0.7 installed. Let's give it a go, eh? So far so good. :wink:
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

upkeep wrote:No, the user agent string is correct. I had an issue with sudden quits on a more recent version (2.0.6?) that seemed somewhat strange given how solid Camino has been over the years, so I just temporarily threw this back in.

FYI, when you experience a repeated issue, please do be sure to file a bug. While we do regularly mine crash reports and try to figure out common crashes based on that data, it's always far easier and more useful if we have a bug report filed by someone who's experiencing the problem. (We can't ask questions or seek more information from anonymous aggregate data, for instance; also, sometimes you might be hitting some sort of problem that doesn't show up well in the crash report data because it's not common, but we'd like to fix it nevertheless, and we can't fix bugs we don't know about ;) )
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

jcraig wrote:After a long absence I thought I'd poke my head in as well. Another old-timer from the Chimera days. I killed my old build machine last December and it took until about a month ago to save my pennies for a new 17" MBP, but now there's nothing to build on it (mama and I are busy with a 1 year-old daughter anyway :-) )

jcraig! Congrats! :D

jcraig wrote:I wish I knew how to code...

Well, you could always try to pick it up when the little one keeps you up at night ;) :P
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

Uncle Asad wrote:
upkeep wrote:No, the user agent string is correct. I had an issue with sudden quits on a more recent version (2.0.6?) that seemed somewhat strange given how solid Camino has been over the years, so I just temporarily threw this back in.

FYI, when you experience a repeated issue, please do be sure to file a bug. While we do regularly mine crash reports and try to figure out common crashes based on that data, it's always far easier and more useful if we have a bug report filed by someone who's experiencing the problem. (We can't ask questions or seek more information from anonymous aggregate data, for instance; also, sometimes you might be hitting some sort of problem that doesn't show up well in the crash report data because it's not common, but we'd like to fix it nevertheless, and we can't fix bugs we don't know about ;) )

I would have, but I just got busy with work and completely forgot about it. (FYI: The version was 2.0.6.) It just kept quitting out in the first day or so, so I just replaced an earlier version, and forgot to give 2.0.6 another try.

By now, I've been into all the difficult places I end up in, and without a doubt, this 2.0.7 has become my new 'reference standard'. Solid as a rock (for me anyhow).

Thanks a lot to all involved. Many of us here really do appreciate all the hard work you folks do. :wink:
dirkbill

Post by dirkbill »

So is this why I am constantly getting the error message "You have an unsupported browser" these days? I ignore it but it has suddenly become very prevalent.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

dirkbill wrote:So is this why I am constantly getting the error message "You have an unsupported browser" these days? I ignore it but it has suddenly become very prevalent.

Most probably!
You might want to try version 2.1a1, which have a more up-to-date rendering engine.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

What is the current state of the browser at the moment? Based on Bugzilla, there's nothing happening..
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

David Munch wrote:What is the current state of the browser at the moment? Based on Bugzilla, there's nothing happening..

Stuart and I have both been working on patches and doing reviews over the past two weeks; not everything that goes on shows up in Bugzilla on a daily basis. We have 1 code blocker left for 2.1b1 and one bug I'm working on that will wrap up the feature additions for 2.1, which should also be in b1.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

Good to know. I was afraid that all the devs had abandoned the ship in these dark times due to bad morale.. :(