Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
code65536

Re: Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Post by code65536 »

KB2545698 only changes the apparent weight (perhaps by tweaking gamma/contrast) (but not the hinting/spacing) of Tahoma, Verdana, and Arial. This is NOT a change to DirectWrite: this is a change to the fonts themselves, and will thus affect all programs that use natural rendering with those fonts. Since all three of those fonts are on the Firefox 7 GDI fallback list, there will be no effect on Firefox 7 under default settings. On older Firefoxen, KB2545698 will affect these three fonts under default settings, but nothing else.
Fanolian

Post by Fanolian »

KB2545698 greatly improves my browsing experience.
I have to use Natural_symmetric in Nightly due to some CJK font issues. After the update I can have GDI-like effect on those 3 font families, and thankfully most sites use Arial as the default font.

P.S. GDI fallback is not in effect if gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode is not -1.
WonderCsabo

Post by WonderCsabo »

code65536 wrote:KB2545698 only changes the apparent weight (perhaps by tweaking gamma/contrast) (but not the hinting/spacing) of Tahoma, Verdana, and Arial. This is NOT a change to DirectWrite: this is a change to the fonts themselves, and will thus affect all programs that use natural rendering with those fonts. Since all three of those fonts are on the Firefox 7 GDI fallback list, there will be no effect on Firefox 7 under default settings. On older Firefoxen, KB2545698 will affect these three fonts under default settings, but nothing else.

Thanks for correcting, after reading the KB and testing, i came up with the same conclusion. Thanks again!
watdis

Post by watdis »

So can anyone help me with my issue?

watdis wrote:Does anyone else have blackwhite antialias in firefox menu and context menus? I tried a new profile in safemode, same thing. This issue is pretty old (appeard on 7.0 though), I just thought someone broke it and would get fixed eventually, since it was fine before.
psishock

Post by psishock »

watdis wrote:So can anyone help me with my issue?

that is most likely windows or graphic driver issue, not Firefox related. Especially now that you've tried with new profile, and experienced the exact same, while other users don't have this problem.

Perhaps you can check native cleartype/fontsmoothing settings in windows, and/or install another (newer?) graphic driver.
watdis

Post by watdis »

That's the problem, I tried new nVidia driver, (275.33/50) and I didn't change cleartype settings. I did ran it again just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference. I sense this is something stupid simple I'm missing.
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

Can somebody explain to me why the font rendering in my current Aurora and Nightly builds (2011-06-30) look so different on certain sites? I think the Aurora rendering has only changed in the past few days. This is all with HA enabled. Here are a couple screenshots from TSN.

Aurora
Nightly
watdis

Post by watdis »

wmarcello wrote:Can somebody explain to me why the font rendering in my current Aurora and Nightly builds (2011-06-30) look so different on certain sites? I think the Aurora rendering has only changed in the past few days. This is all with HA enabled. Here are a couple screenshots from TSN.

Aurora
Nightly

Nightly falls back to GDI for some fonts and font sizes, and it seems Aurora doesn't. Also KB2545698 could add to this issue.
WonderCsabo

Post by WonderCsabo »

BTW, it falls back to DW with whole pixel (GDI Classic) rendering, not really the old GDI.
watdis

Post by watdis »

Okay, can someone confirm this? I asked some people around and they all seem to have black&white antialias on menubar and I suppose Fx App menu as well. Is this a bug? I bet this is the same bug that's causing AA issues on my context menu. I also tried Instantbird and it also has black&white antialias on menubar.

Seems HW/DW isn't applied correctly everywhere? A bit confusing, because I remember it was fine before, probably on 6.0 nightly.
garbawnzo

Post by garbawnzo »

Nvidia driver: 280.26 WHQL
GPU: GTX 560Ti, connected to monitor via DVI. Monitor set to sRGB
Cleartype: enabled (and adjusted several times)
KB2505438/KB2454826/KB2545698: all installed
Windows is completely updated

FF6 is unusable without disabling hardware acceleration due to font rendering. No other browser (IE9, Chrome 13, Opera 11.50) has this issue.
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

garbawnzo wrote:Nvidia driver: 280.26 WHQL
GPU: GTX 560Ti, connected to monitor via DVI. Monitor set to sRGB
Cleartype: enabled (and adjusted several times)
KB2505438/KB2454826/KB2545698: all installed
Windows is completely updated

FF6 is unusable without disabling hardware acceleration due to font rendering. No other browser (IE9, Chrome 13, Opera 11.50) has this issue.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2281823
WindHeight

Post by WindHeight »

To summarize:
* HWA on, default settings: using DirectWrite in natural mode
* HWA on, mode=2 ("GDI Classic"): using DirectWrite in whole pixel mode (the "GDI Natural" option is an icky combination wherein the rendering is whole pixel, but the positioning is natural, and it's just a bad combination: either go all whole or all natural)
* HWA off, using the legacy GDI in whole pixel mode (the only mode that GDI supports)

How do I select option 2? What change to I have to make in about:config?

I know this is an old topic, but I am trying to make my fonts look like they did in ff 3.6. I am just now -trying- to upgrade to ff 15. I'd rather not disable hardware acceleration, but that does seem to work.

I've read about 2 dozen pages, including the nice summary post that I quoted from, but still am lost on how to revert back to ff 3.6-looking fonts without disbaling hardware acceleration. I tried toggling gfx.direct2d.disabled which seemed to help, but dropped my fps to ~30 in the https://developer.mozilla.org/media/upl ... e/HWACCEL/. I get 60+ (the maximum it will display) without toggling this.
HN_FIN

Post by HN_FIN »

WindHeight wrote:
To summarize:
* HWA on, default settings: using DirectWrite in natural mode
* HWA on, mode=2 ("GDI Classic"): using DirectWrite in whole pixel mode (the "GDI Natural" option is an icky combination wherein the rendering is whole pixel, but the positioning is natural, and it's just a bad combination: either go all whole or all natural)
* HWA off, using the legacy GDI in whole pixel mode (the only mode that GDI supports)

How do I select option 2? What change to I have to make in about:config?

If you mean that "mode 2 / GDI classis", then gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode is the correct option.

Documentation can be found in the original commit:
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/d ... nit/all.js

My current non-default settings values are:
gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.cleartype_level = 0
gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode = 2
gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled = true

And remember to restart Firefox after making changes.
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

Guys, is there a way to disable hardware accelerated fonts without disabling the HWA generally?

Also, I've noticed that UI fonts ( except context-menu ) do not being affected by Cleartype settings... Why so? It's like there's standard settings for them. The only way to "soften" the UI fonts is either to disable HWA or go on Windows Basic Mode... Then, on Basic mode I think UI fonts are being affected by cleartype likewise... Too many annoying, mysterious things happen on Fx, dammit!

I've soften ( lowered the Enchanced Contrast ) the cleartype fonts on Windows, but on Firefox, only those on websites and context-menus are being affected accordingly... Chromium's UI fonts remain solid, like Fx's not hardware accelerated. This is how I prefer my Fx.
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB