MozillaZine

[Ext] MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4 (11-9-09)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
keithy397

Post Posted June 30th, 2011, 2:58 am

dmccunney wrote:That's what I do: I have all three installed and updated when updates become available. I switch between them using a common profile so they use the same configuration, and didn't switch channels, even though the capability was there.

Ditto! I never used the channels, I have FF5, Beta, Aurora and Nightly (doesn't seem right calling Minefield, 'Nightly' somehow) with all their own Profiles, a test Profile and a communal one to see any differences. Similar stuff for SeaMonkey.

Without going OT, I have Toolkit installed in every single Profile despite it's diminishing usefulness.
Cheers,
Keith

dmccunney

Post Posted June 30th, 2011, 6:30 am

keithy397 wrote:
dmccunney wrote:That's what I do: I have all three installed and updated when updates become available. I switch between them using a common profile so they use the same configuration, and didn't switch channels, even though the capability was there.

Ditto! I never used the channels, I have FF5, Beta, Aurora and Nightly (doesn't seem right calling Minefield, 'Nightly' somehow) with all their own Profiles, a test Profile and a communal one to see any differences. Similar stuff for SeaMonkey.

I have SeaMonkey in my mix as well, as well as Thunderbird.

To make it more fun, I'm running XP Pro with 4GB of RAM installed. XP can only use about 3.3GB of it, and there's 764MB of "hidden" RAM unused. I found a ramdisk driver that can use that, so there's a 763MB ramdisk seen by XP as a compressed NTFS volume called Z:. and all the Mozilla stuff lives there. I used the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to associate logon and logoff scripts that load the ramdisk when I log on, and store any changes back the the HD when I quit. FF run from a ramdisk with profile on the ramdisk is quick. Load time with 65 extensions installed is about 4 seconds.

Cache is on the ramdisk, too, but in a separate location, not in the profile. That was the first tweak I made after getting the ramdisk working, before I tried putting everything there. Under Linux, I put cache in /dev/shm, which exists in RAM or swap, but not the file system.

Without going OT, I have Toolkit installed in every single Profile despite it's diminishing usefulness.

I have the latest alpha installed, but haven't had a chance to go through it in detail. How much still works on your end?

I've found things to replace the critical parts, so it hasn't been urgent.
______
Dennis
Last edited by dmccunney on June 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31

tonymec

Post Posted June 30th, 2011, 4:20 pm

WildcatRay wrote:tonymec,

Look for an NTT menu item "Customize Titlebar". If NTT can, in fact, customize the titlebar, it will be there. If it can't, like Thunderbird, the menu item will not be there.

If you mean as a submenu of "Tools → Nightly Tester Tools", well, no luck. And no Preferences for NTT in the addons manager either.
Best regards,
Tony

tonymec

Post Posted June 30th, 2011, 4:57 pm

dmccunney wrote:SeaMonkey is a Community project, and doesn't have the resources to use that development model (though it will benefit from core Gecko changes.) Thunderbird is in a similar position.
______
Dennis

SeaMonkey is a community project, but it is (willy-nilly, AFAICT) boarding Firefox's fast-release train. Releases will happen shortly (maybe a week or so) after Firefox releases, and once the release automation gets its bugs ironed out it might even be not too big an additional load on the community. Current builds are (as of this writing, and AFAIK):

• SeaMonkey 2.1, corresponding to Fx4
  • SeaMonkey 2.2 (about to be released: beta 2 is available), corresponding to Fx5
  • SeaMonkey 2.3a2 (Sm-aurora), corresponding to Fx6
  • SeaMonkey 2.4a1 (Sm-trunk), corresponding to Fx7
This said, it took about 1½ community member full-time (not counting their professional and/or schooling activities of course) just to get Sm 2.1 and Sm 2.2 out the door. Let's hope the release process will become smoother in the future.
Best regards,
Tony

dmccunney

Post Posted June 30th, 2011, 5:22 pm

tonymec wrote:
dmccunney wrote:SeaMonkey is a Community project, and doesn't have the resources to use that development model (though it will benefit from core Gecko changes.) Thunderbird is in a similar position.

SeaMonkey is a community project, but it is (willy-nilly, AFAICT) boarding Firefox's fast-release train. Releases will happen shortly (maybe a week or so) after Firefox releases, and once the release automation gets its bugs ironed out it might even be not too big an additional load on the community. Current builds are (as of this writing, and AFAIK):

• SeaMonkey 2.1, corresponding to Fx4
  • SeaMonkey 2.2 (about to be released: beta 2 is available), corresponding to Fx5
  • SeaMonkey 2.3a2 (Sm-aurora), corresponding to Fx6
  • SeaMonkey 2.4a1 (Sm-trunk), corresponding to Fx7
This said, it took about 1½ community member full-time (not counting their professional and/or schooling activities of course) just to get Sm 2.1 and Sm 2.2 out the door. Let's hope the release process will become smoother in the future.

I have SM 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3a2 here.

But the correspondence with Firefox isn't exact. While there are four separate tracks, each with a different target, the nature of the target is different. Each Firefox version will be a major new release with a significant set of new features to justify a new major version number. The SeaMonkey releases will be minor versions, and while there will be upgrades in features, I don't expect them to be as dramatic.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31

WildcatRay

Post Posted June 30th, 2011, 5:33 pm

dmccunney wrote:But the correspondence with Firefox isn't exact. While there are four separate tracks, each with a different target, the nature of the target is different. Each Firefox version will be a major new release with a significant set of new features to justify a new major version number. The SeaMonkey releases will be minor versions, and while there will be upgrades in features, I don't expect them to be as dramatic.
______
Dennis

Not to be picking nits here, but Fx's rapid release schedule does not equate to major feature releases. There were major changes between 3.6 and 4, however, between 4 and 5/6, the changes and features are more incremental.

If you believe the more cynical Fx users, the rapid release is more about trying to keep up with Chrome. :roll:

Time to get back on topic, though. #-o
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi

tonymec

Post Posted June 30th, 2011, 9:14 pm

dmccunney wrote:But the correspondence with Firefox isn't exact. While there are four separate tracks, each with a different target, the nature of the target is different. Each Firefox version will be a major new release with a significant set of new features to justify a new major version number. The SeaMonkey releases will be minor versions, and while there will be upgrades in features, I don't expect them to be as dramatic.
______
Dennis

The correspondence is exact in the sense that the indicated versions of SeaMonkey and Firefox are based on the same backend code.

The fact that Firefox will be released under a new "major" version every six weeks while SeaMonkey will release the same code with only "minor version" changes, shouldn't blind you: everything except the UI, and most of the addons-manager UI too, is common code. What is a version number after all? A mere label. My grandfather always said: on the bottles you have you put the labels you want. And it has already been said by several people, in and out of MoCo, that Firefox 5 will differ very little from Firefox 4; indeed, some said it ought to have been called Firefox 4.0.1. See for instance several of the recent articles in Mike Kaply's blog, and the hot debate in answer to them.

So MoCo marketing have decided to ape Google Chrome by increasing their "version" (which "looks like" a major version) very fast, while the SeaMonkey Council took a different decision. So what? SeaMonkey 2.1 differs as much in the backend over Sm 2.0 as does Fx4 over Fx 3.6; similarly Sm2.2 and Fx5. What SeaMonkey didn't adopt (and IMHO wisely) are some cosmetic changes such as the "tabs on top" and the removal of the status bar. (It also previously kept — and again, IMHO wisely considering its audience — the Netscape-like Preferences dialog, while doing between Sm1 and Sm2 a complete overhaul of its backend, without breaking anything in the transition, so that now the underlying backend is the same "Toolkit" backend as that of the Firefox "Options".)

Sync is built into Sm2.1 just as it is in Fx4; the "new addons manager" which broke so many extensions is present in both, they both can use Personas and restartless extensions (though most Jetpacks are admittedly incompatible with SeaMonkey), SeaMonkey SMILE is equivalent to Firefox FUEL… I could go on. In some respects (such as the Data Manager) SeaMonkey is actually ahead of Firefox; and the superior Jökulsárlón Download Manager, available for both as an extension, actually originates with someone who was at the time a key figure in the SeaMonkey community (he's still concerned with SeaMonkey but since then, the MoCo head-hunters got him into the Firefox and Socorro projects).
Best regards,
Tony

RDL

Post Posted July 1st, 2011, 2:38 pm

Please folk, I know that all this is important but for some of us anxiously monitoring for news about "[Ext] MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4 (11-9-09)", or rather its successor, it's a bit of a wind up to find lots of posts that each turn out to be SeaMonkey discussion or other OT matters.

Perhaps it's just people chatting in this unheated, darkened bus stop, while waiting for the delayed (or cancelled?) MTTK express coach to arrive..

(He looks nervously at his watch and wonders if he should just try the walk to FF5 using assorted odd accessories to keep off any rain on the way..)

keithy397

Post Posted July 2nd, 2011, 4:27 am

RDL wrote:(He looks nervously at his watch and wonders if he should just try the walk to FF5 using assorted odd accessories to keep off any rain on the way..)

Yeah, go on, join the rest of us with beards and long hair waiting here expectantly for the sight of a horned skull avatar with news of a new version.......and in possesion of a mash-up of Toolkit!
Cheers,
Keith

dmccunney

Post Posted July 2nd, 2011, 8:43 am

keithy397 wrote:
RDL wrote:(He looks nervously at his watch and wonders if he should just try the walk to FF5 using assorted odd accessories to keep off any rain on the way..)

Yeah, go on, join the rest of us with beards and long hair waiting here expectantly for the sight of a horned skull avatar with news of a new version.......and in possesion of a mash-up of Toolkit!

Mel posted a beta that partly works here: http://mrte.ch/toolkit/

I have it in a test profile, and have been playing a bit. Stuff that doesn't work includes the Install Extensions and Install Themes choices that get added to the File Menu. Clicking on them does nothing. (The File/Restart menu item does work.)

Extension Options all get collected in a sub-menu under Tools, as before. Functions like dumping a list of your current configuration and letting you view and inspect your profile directory and edit config files appear to work. You can specify the Installation and Archive Directories for extensions and themes, but since the Install Extensions and Install Themes File menu entries don't work, this is of questionable value. (The Archive XPI function that should allow you to save a local copy on an extension on AMO or the like apparently does not work.)

The biggest incompatibility is a deal breaker for me. Addons Manager has changed a lot in FF 4/5/6, and the default action is to open it in a new tab. This is broken in TT. There is a config choice to open the Extension list in the current tab, a new tab, a new window, or in the Sidebar. Current tab works. New tab does not, and attempting to open Addons with that set does nothing. Open in Sidebar works, but TT cannot restyle the list, so the usability leaves a lot to be desired. (I use All-In-One-Sidebar, so if I want to open the Addons list in the Sidebar, I use its function, as current versions can restyle the list for better display.)

If you can live with TT opening the Addons Manager in a new window, having it open in the current tab, replacing what had been there, or using All-In-One-Sidebar to open it in the Sidebar, and can live without the stuff mentioned above that doesn't work, it's probably usable in FF4/5/6/7.

The beta is more compatible with newer Firefox versions than the last release version, but not compatible enough for me to reinstall it. Your Mileage May Vary.
______
Dennis

RDL

Post Posted July 2nd, 2011, 10:42 am

keithy397 wrote:..Yeah, go on, join the rest of us with beards and long hair waiting here expectantly for the sight of a horned skull avatar with news of a new version..

Yes, a sight of the devil's coachman pounding through the fog would certainly be welcome :D

RDL

Post Posted July 2nd, 2011, 11:06 am

dmccunney wrote:..Mel posted a beta that partly works..I have it in a test profile, and have been playing a bit..

..If you can live with TT opening the Addons Manager in a new window, having it open in the current tab, replacing what had been there, or using All-In-One-Sidebar to open it in the Sidebar, and can live without the stuff mentioned above that doesn't work, it's probably usable in FF4/5/6/7..

Thanks for that usefully comprehensive review of the beta. I had already downloaded it but was holding back in case there was some advance. I already use AIOS with MTTK and your description makes me think that I could probably manage for the moment with the beta. So long as I can still 'Save Link As' then drag and drop or 'Open File' should do for now to install.

From what you say, other MTTK functions seem mainly usable in some form or other.

OK; your summary encourages me to think about organising my packing lists and itinerary to make the journey sometime this month. Thanks again for that.

dmccunney

Post Posted July 2nd, 2011, 12:50 pm

RDL wrote:
dmccunney wrote:..Mel posted a beta that partly works..I have it in a test profile, and have been playing a bit..

..If you can live with TT opening the Addons Manager in a new window, having it open in the current tab, replacing what had been there, or using All-In-One-Sidebar to open it in the Sidebar, and can live without the stuff mentioned above that doesn't work, it's probably usable in FF4/5/6/7..

Thanks for that usefully comprehensive review of the beta. I had already downloaded it but was holding back in case there was some advance. I already use AIOS with MTTK and your description makes me think that I could probably manage for the moment with the beta. So long as I can still 'Save Link As' then drag and drop or 'Open File' should do for now to install.

Save Link As works, and Open File works. (I assume Drag and Drop does, too, but I seldom use that method.)

From what you say, other MTTK functions seem mainly usable in some form or other.

Well, what I've tested thus far. I didn't use everything in TT, even when it was fully compatible.

By preference, I keep a local store of extensions, and install from the local copy. I mess about with profiles a lot, and a local store makes installing the particular combination I want in a profile a lot easier than having to go hunting on AMO every time. I don't, as a rule, play with themes, so those functions are irrelevant.

What I valued in TT was

1) the ability to collect all extension options in a sub-menu under Tools (which still works)

2) the ability to dump a customized list of my configuration in various formats (which still works),

3) the ability to auto-archive an installed extension (which basically broke in FF3 - the Archive XPI menu item is not really a replacement, and Save Link As does as well)

4) easier access to FF directories and config files (which still seem to work, though I haven't played much with them)

5) the ability to turn off the install delay, and disable compatibility checks for an extension at install time to allow me to install things whose install.rdf file hadn't been updated, and to mark it compatible and turn off the incompatibility warning in the Extension Manager if it did in fact still work (Turning off the install delay still works, as does disabling the compatibility check. Addons Manager still complains about compatibility, even though the Addon is installed and operates.)

Since I'm not using TT, I needed replacements.

#1 is handled here by Extension Options Menu, which is called from the FF4 Menu Button Addons entry. Left-click opens a scrolling list of extensions to select and configure. Right click opens the Addons Manager in a tab.

#2 is handled by two things: Extension List Dumper, which is called from a Dump List button in Addons Manager, and produces a highly customizable list of what it currently installed, and InfoLister, which generates an overall config listing similar to what TT does. You can also drop an icon for it in the Addons bar. (IIRC, TT incorporated InfoLister in its code.)

#3 is handled manually - when I add a new Addon from AMO, I do a Save Link As too, to get a local copy.

#4 is also manual. I use the Profile Manager's ability to specify where a profile is created, and do not use the Mozilla default under Windows of creating such things under \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\etc. All Mozilla stuff here lives in two places: programs live under \Program Files\Mozilla.org\<program>, and everything else lives in a \Mozilla directory on a master data drive, so I have
Code: Select all
\Mozilla
    \Bookmarks
    \Extensions
        \Firefox
        \SeaMonkey
        \Thunderbird
    \Install files
    \Profiles   
        \Firefox
        \SeaMonkey
        \Thunderbird

(There's rather more, but you get the idea.) Messing about with profiles is a matter of drilling down in a local directory hierarchy.

#5 is handled with the Addons Compatibility Reporter, which turns off compatibility checks globally (though Addons Manager still lists things as incompatible,) and No XPI Install Delay.

OK; your summary encourages me to think about organising my packing lists and itinerary to make the journey sometime this month. Thanks again for that.

If you are still on FF 3.6.X, I would.
______
Dennis

RDL

Post Posted July 2nd, 2011, 7:51 pm

dmccunney wrote:..By preference, I keep a local store of extensions, and install from the local copy..

Thanks for further info. We seem to use MTTK in a fairly similar way. I can't remember when, if ever, I last installed an extension/theme straight from the link. I always save the .xpi/jar and install it locally. That's how 'Mr Tech Local Install' first attracted me, as a management tool. Losing the File Menu install items means no quick access to those repositories. I got used to that so I'll probably set up a shortcut or two on a suitable Windows toolbar. I'll leave the MTTK archive paths set to my xpi/jar testing repositories.

I don't disable the install delay and, although I have occasionally used 'Make Compatible' for quick checking, I always edit max ver in the individual extension install.rdf to carry a usable extension forward.

I had assembled a list of possible alternative extensions to provide some of the MTTK functions I like but I really prefer the Swiss Army Knife approach. I remember happily using 'InfoLister' for quite a time before I was converted to MTTK.

As for moving soon to FF5/6, well nowadays I'm one of those who seem to spend most of their updating effort finding ways to reverse/ignore many 'improvements' introduced by new versions. Fortunately, in most cases, built-in options and customizations suffice and, for the rest, there are enough fellow Luddites who are willing and able to provide other solutions :D

So only the pressure of s/w lifecycles drives me in this case.

Hopefully I will find the supposed performance enhancements pleasingly noticeable and that will sooth those diodes all down my right side..

keithy397

Post Posted July 7th, 2011, 3:56 am

I know Toolkit 6.0.4.9000 was released as a beta by Mel here a little while back, but is it more recent than 6.0.4.1?

I've been having a tidy up and found quite a few versions and it looks like these are the 2 most recent.
Cheers,
Keith

Return to Extension/Theme Releases