firefox.exe does not close after all windows are closed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dc123

firefox.exe does not close after all windows are closed

Post by dc123 »

Hi, i have a problem with firefox not shutting down after all the browser windows have been closed. When i look in the task manager, the process "firefox.exe" is still running.

I first noticed the problem when my computer was still on after i thought i shut it down, and it was waiting for an unresponding "firefox.exe" to shut down.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Post by Guest »

It appears to be a 'bug' that as of yet is not fixed, nor indentified as to the exact cause. Some web pages have been proven to 'hang' FF.
Flash71

Post by Flash71 »

I have the same issue, happens very often (I guess one or more of the sites in my "daily visit" list). Somewhat annoying because you cannot restart Firefox as firefox.exe is still running as a process.

Post by Guest »

You need to kill the process, I think. (taskmgr on Windows, or on Linux "ps algx" and then "kill -9 <pid of firefox>" as root)

Post by Guest »

I have observed this problem when running a java application, specifically Yahoo! Games.

One tabbed window contains the game room client, while another separate browser window contains the game client. After some time, the tab containing the game room client displays a "Loading" message, and all other tabs will refuse to refresh.

The only way to fix the problem is to shut down Firefox, kill the ghost process, and restart the browser.

Post by Guest »

It would appear that I also have this same issue, but have not yet been able to isolate the behavior to any one particular event or action.

After following some of these posts regarding memory leaks and failing to close properly, I started watching the memory and CPU usage of FF only to find that, at least on my XP machine, the process never terminates upon exiting, and continues to run at it's pre-close memory state of anywhere from 40MB to 180MB, although at a very low CPU usage.

Within a minute or so of closing the program while the FF process continues to run in the background, the process is terminated and an "unexpected shut down" error message appears. Intitally this occurred infrequently, but now it happens after each and every close of the program, whether I'm on it all day, or only minutes. It does register in the event log in XP when it terminates, often associated, but not exclusively, with "wmp.dll" - Windows Media Player core,
eteams

Re: firefox.exe does not close after all windows are closed

Post by eteams »

Happens in 3.6 and I even went back to 3.5 but it still occurs. OS is XPx64
I have the same happening on my laptop using XP x32

The problem is so old now that I think a change of browsers is called for
IE - Chrome - safari et al do not have this problem
LIMPET235

Re: firefox.exe does not close after all windows are closed

Post by LIMPET235 »

Would you please start a new thread, stating your error.
These oldies really need to R.I.P.
Thank you.
See > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open

Locking this relic.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)