Restoring deleted bookmark

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin

Restoring deleted bookmark

Post by Odin »

By mistake I deleted a folder in my bookmarks toolbar. I managed to restore it eventually using the Xmarks add-on, but (since I had to overwrite all my bookmarks, quite a few, and many of the icons had to be restored separately) it was a hassle.

I'd expected to be able to restore the deleted bookmark folder easily with WinXP's recycle folder. However, the old bookmark folder was nowhere to be found, either there or elsewhere on my hard drive.

Is there some reason why I could not restore the deleted bookmark folder from the recycle bin?
NotBarter.com The Los Angeles Skills Pool
Lion7718

Re: Restoring deleted bookmark

Post by Lion7718 »

IE's Bookmarks go to the Recycle Bin...FF as far as I know..are just gone. I deleted a folder by accident myself this morning by choosing delete instead of paste in right click menu when adding bookmark in another folder.

If there is a way to recover I would like to know also..I wasn't about to restore profile with MozBackup just for about 7 bookmarks.

Post by Guest »

hit Ctrl Shift B
in the Menu bar, click Import & Backup
Restore from the previous day, or previous previous day
Odin

Post by Odin »

Thanks, Lion; that seems to explain. It does seem strange that Mozilla's deleted bookmarks won't go to the recycle bin -- that's what the recycle bin is supposed to be for -- but it's at least reassuring to know that it's not a failure in my system.

I would urge you to consider Xmarks. Xmarks has a Preview function that will point you to what you seek without making any changes. So for just 7 bookmarks it should be fairly simple to manually restore them. That wasn't a great option in my case since the lost bookmark folder contained a great many more bookmarks. And if you're not worried about icons, the Restore function should work just fine.
NotBarter.com The Los Angeles Skills Pool
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Odin wrote: And if you're not worried about icons, the Restore function should work just fine.
There's always CheckPlaces the addon that put the favicons back and some more functions. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... eckplaces/

I always make a separate backup of bookmarks only in Mozbackup (in addition to a profile backup without bookmarks) and that will restore/overwrite all bookmarks. When I had to restore my entire profile recently through MozBackup the bookmarks didn't pan out. It did work perfectly when restoring the bookmarks backup in MozBackup located in My Documents. I wouldn't want to lose abt 800 bookmarks in case something dreadful would happen in my profile folder.

Post by Guest »

See also:

"Confirm delete?" add-on for Firefox Bookmarks? • mozillaZine Forums
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2222093&p=10887017
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Odin wrote:I'd expected to be able to restore the deleted bookmark folder easily with WinXP's recycle folder. However, the old bookmark folder was nowhere to be found, either there or elsewhere on my hard drive.

Is there some reason why I could not restore the deleted bookmark folder from the recycle bin?

The recycle bin is an OS supported concept... deleting files/folders in Win. go there.

Applications handle their own delete functions... just like... say a word processor... if you delete a doc. within it... it does not go into the recycle bin, delete music from some audio controlling app. and the deleted audio file doesn't go into the recycle bin... and like in an email client... delete an email or even a folder within that app... it does not go into the recycle bin. Individual applications control clearing out stuff... not the OS. In the case of Firefox Mozilla decided to use the common name "folder" but it's not a folder like the OS's folder(s)... it's a folder "within" a SQL file so the process that works with that file has to have ways to recover data... that is, if the author built the recover tool. Sometimes they don't or it's hard to recover stuff... so, that's why I also use that extension found in the above link posted by Guest.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Odin wrote:By mistake I deleted a folder in my bookmarks toolbar.

In Fx 5.0, a deleted bookmark can be immediately recovered:
- Ctrl+Shift+B to open the Library
- Organize > Undo to recover the deleted bookmark

Hope this helps if you accidentally delete a bookmark or bookmark folder again, Odin. If I recall correctly, that technique works in Fx 3.6.x too.

Post by Guest »

Alan Baxter wrote:
Odin wrote:By mistake I deleted a folder in my bookmarks toolbar.

In Fx 5.0, a deleted bookmark can be immediately recovered:
- Ctrl+Shift+B to open the Library
- Organize > Undo to recover the deleted bookmark.. ..

As Included (together with ''Edit'->'Undo') in topic linked above?

Guest wrote:See also:

"Confirm delete?" add-on for Firefox Bookmarks? • mozillaZine Forums
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2222093&p=10887017

:D