[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Chris000001

Re: [Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Che

Post by Chris000001 »

Save images you want. Name the one you want to be default to 'updates.png' and the one for when updates are available 'updatesred.png' and put them in the skin folder in the add-on (it sounds like you know how, if not ask. I can probably answer tomorrow.) It could be done in the javascript, but this seems easier. If you want to change the throbber, its 'loading.png'. I know it used to be possible to have an incorrectly named filetype, so if you want the old throbber you could get 'throbber.gif' out of Update Notifier and name it 'loading.png' in AUC. I don't know if it would still work.

edit: direct links:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ ... blue-1.png
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ ... reen-1.png
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ ... 1/grey.png
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ ... /red-1.png
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

Thanks:) I actually did it that way, as I had a copy of UN floating in my old profile - simple cropjob yilded me gray and red icons:) All in all, many thanks for bringing this functionality available!
makondo

Post by makondo »

Chris000001 wrote:I had some time and added options to select which types of add-ons to check for updates. Version 1.1 should be pushed out soon...

Didn't get it yet but thank you very much!
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

@makondo: it's at 1.2 now:)

@chris: if you have time and energy, could you alter the extension so that it would show gray if there are no updates, blue for extensions and green for themes, (b+g if there are bot), then red one when the updates are installed and restart required? That would effectively be UN functionality brought to level with current Fx:) Thank you this far, for all three of your extensions!
makondo

Post by makondo »

Not here:

^ Hmm ... Update Checker couldn't find its own update? ... Had to install from AMO. I suppose 'locale' means GM scripts and styles, is that correct?

Thanks for the update, Chris, lovin' it! Lifesaver Image
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

DMCrimson wrote:@chris: if you have time and energy, could you alter the extension so that it would show gray if there are no updates, blue for extensions and green for themes, (b+g if there are bot), then red one when the updates are installed and restart required? That would effectively be UN functionality brought to level with current Fx:) Thank you this far, for all three of your extensions!
I think that the different colors for different types needing update should be possible. I'm not sure about the 'updates installed, but restart needed'. I'll look into it.

makondo wrote:Not here:

^ Hmm ... Update Checker couldn't find its own update? ... Had to install from AMO. I suppose 'locale' means GM scripts and styles, is that correct?

Thanks for the update, Chris! Lifesaver Image
It won't update since it's not fully reviewed (I think - I don't really know the rules.) I probably won't nominate it until I'm pretty sure most of the bugs are worked out, and then it takes a few weeks to be certified. I'm not sure what locale is. It was just one of the default types. My guess is language packs, but since I don't use one and haven't had much time, I haven't checked.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Aah, so, since styles are not on the list, does this mean they're excluded by default? It appears to me so because i no longer get updates progress/status in the sidebar where i have my styles (which is exactly what i was after).
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

makondo wrote:Aah, so, since styles are not on the list, does this mean they're excluded by default? It appears to me so because i no longer get updates progress/status in the sidebar where i have my styles (which is exactly what i was after).
My guess is they are not one of the four default types. I think it may be possible to define your own types when writing add-ons. I'll look into this too. I may change the options to be a comma-delimited string so you can add/remove any type of add-on. I don't like the look of the current options page anyway. I think if you deselect all four types right now, Firefox will go back to checking all types (which will show themes too. You'll have to decide which is more important to you.) It'll still be a few days until I have enough time to really find out.
makondo

Post by makondo »

I have exts. and plugins checked. That's it. That's all i want.
Now, if i go to the AM and check there (from the AM tools button), i get the progress and status in the sidebar again which screws it til i close/open the sidebar or restart Fx. Brrr...
What's wrong with the options window? It's simple and clear. I don't think you need to spend your time on it.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Chris000001,

thank you very much for your extensions. i really missed update notifier ... [*grin*]

as expected, i have a question ... the options for addon update checker shows a default value of 6 hours between checks. what is the default that firefox uses? i don't want to pound on AMO so i prefer to use an interval that is >= the standard.

take care,
lee
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

My guess is 24 hours. I don't know for sure. Just so everyone knows, The timer currently only works if Firefox is not closed - if you close Firefox, it restarts the next time you start Firefox. I may change that. It depends on the amount of code that turns into and my available time.
makondo

Post by makondo »

app.update.interval; 86400 (which is 24hrs) and i believe that's when addons checked as well.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Chris000001 & makondo,

thank you both for the info, i appreciate it quite a lot! i'll set the addon to 24 hours, then. is there a reason not to use ...
extensions.update.interval = 86400

... that appears to exist in ff5 already?

take care,
lee
George Yves

Post by George Yves »

Sorry but I can't understand why I don't see the list of available updates when I use Addon Update Checker.

When the extension's button becomes red, I click it and see the Addons Manager tab. In the tab I see (sorry, I translate from Russian) the text "Updates aren't found" and the button "Check for updates". I don't see any list of available updates. If I click the button, it disappears but updates are silently downloaded and installed! After that I am prompted to restart the browser and the updates are applied.

Why I don't see the list of available updates?
May the FOSS be with you!
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy Chris000001 & makondo,

thank you both for the info, i appreciate it quite a lot! i'll set the addon to 24 hours, then. is there a reason not to use ...
extensions.update.interval = 86400

... that appears to exist in ff5 already?

take care,
lee

If you mean the setting name, I don't like changing other, or in this case the default settings unless I have too. That way I don't have to change them back if the add-on is uninstalled. So far, I've only posted instructions on what I change and how to change it back, but if I have time, I'll store the current setting before installation and change it back if uninstalled. I wouldn't like it if another extension changed settings and left them in a non default state if I uninstalled it. It's a pet peeve. If you mean set 24 hours as default, I don't have a good reason. I just chose 6.
George Yves wrote:Sorry but I can't understand why I don't see the list of available updates when I use Addon Update Checker.

When the extension's button becomes red, I click it and see the Addons Manager tab. In the tab I see (sorry, I translate from Russian) the text "Updates aren't found" and the button "Check for updates". I don't see any list of available updates. If I click the button, it disappears but updates are silently downloaded and installed! After that I am prompted to restart the browser and the updates are applied.

Why I don't see the list of available updates?

I've only seen that if extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is set to true. Check your about:config please. The extension should automatically set it to false on start up. I also have extensions.update.enabled set to default. You can set it in about:config as well, or go to Options > Advanced > Updates and deselect Add-on, bit I don't think that is necessary. Maybe that has to be deselected, or it could be another setting as well. I'll try to test further. I also see I have extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault set to false here at work and it works here, but I'm not completely sure. If you figure anything out, let me know, or i will try to post what I come up with as well.