[SOLVED] Flash hangs Firefox 3.6 or 3.7(on XP and linux)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
rob64rock

[SOLVED] Flash hangs Firefox 3.6 or 3.7(on XP and linux)

Post by rob64rock »

Ok, I've figured out what's going on.

Basically, it's what I suspected all along. Firefox developers have started to add the code for process isolation for Plugins to Firefox 3.6.4 and later, but it's not working properly yet. Whenever this process loads,however, the browser freezes.

First go to Tools , Add-ons , then Plugins and disable flash plugins ( including Shockwave for Director).

Then go type about:config in Firefox url bar, go past the warnings. Do Filter search "ipc" not quotes . You should see something like this:

For XP:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;10

For Linux:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.libflashplayer.so;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.libnptest.so;true

To turn off the flash process isolation, change the second line: for XP (npswf32.dll) or for Linux (libflashplayer.so) to false and restart the browser. Then re-enable flash and the browser should be able to load flash pages and play flash video as usual.

For Firefox 3.7 and later (Minefield) users add second line: According to which OS you have.In about:config ,right click ,create new boolean, paste or type(second line above) and set to false restart the browser. Then re-enable flash and the browser should be able to load flash pages and play flash video as usual.
Last edited by rob64rock on November 4th, 2010, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman

Re: [SOLVED] Flash hangs Firefox 3.6 or 3.7(on XP and linux)

Post by Rocketman »

rob64rock wrote:For XP:

Umm, don't have any of those lines. XP SP2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 FireTorrent/2.0.1
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

Rocketman wrote:
rob64rock wrote:For XP:

Umm, don't have any of those lines. XP SP2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 FireTorrent/2.0.1

ipc is landed after 3.6.4.
DooksY

Post by DooksY »

thanks rob64rock :)
UrbenLegend

Post by UrbenLegend »

rob64rock wrote:Ok, I've figured out what's going on.

Basically, it's what I suspected all along. Firefox developers have started to add the code for process isolation for Plugins to Firefox 3.6.4 and later, but it's not working properly yet. Whenever this process loads,however, the browser freezes.

First go to Tools , Add-ons , then Plugins and disable flash plugins ( including Shockwave for Director).

This step is quite unnecessary if all you want is to disable ipc.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

UrbenLegend wrote:
rob64rock wrote:Ok, I've figured out what's going on.

This step is quite unnecessary if all you want is to disable ipc.

I know it may be overkill, but it's to insure that the "plugin-container.exe" has ended its process has intended during restarting the browser instead of hanging, which I've seen happen. It would be great if the "plugin-container.exe" would end or restart its process as intended when the flash plugin process hangs. In my opinion OOPP still needs a lot work for a few select users.
Nataly56

Post by Nataly56 »

Firefox has a recovery mechanism, for when restoring a session causes problems?
James

Post by James »

Locking due to age of thread as it was for 3.6 and what what early 4.0 (3.7) builds then.

Start a new thread with this question please thank you.