How to "Save Link As"?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

noodlehead

How to "Save Link As"?

Post by noodlehead »

I'm new to Camino and am stumped by not being able to selectively download a linked file.
To be clear, I know how to designate a Downloads folder, that's not the problem.
The problem is I cannot click on a link to get the attached file and save it to different locations on my hard drive.
In Firefox I control Click on a link and get the option to Save Link As - and get the attached jpg or mpg, etc..
In Safari I can Control Click on a link and get Download Linked File As - and get the attached jpg or mpg, etc.
In Camino when I Control Click on a link, the only option that comes close is Download Link Target - but all that does is download the html file not the actual target.
Option Click does basically the same thing, downloads the html file.
If I just click on a link, it opens a new tab and starts to load (I don't want that).

This seems crazy to me. Like I'm missing something. I've gone through all the Preferences but can't find anything that might address this.
The only other options I get in Camino when Control Clicking are:
Open Link in New Window
Open Link in New Tab
Copy Link Location
Download Link Target...
Bookmark This Link...
Email This Link...

Pleas help. Thanks
thom-22

Re: How to "Save Link As"?

Post by thom-22 »

"Download Link Target..." is the Camino equivalent of Safari's "Download Linked File As..." and Firefox's "Save Link As...". When I control-click or right-click on either of the links below and choose "Download Link Target...", a save dialog comes up with the name of the .jpg/.pdf file and I can save it wherever I want and open the downloaded file in the appropriate application, same as in Safari or Firefox. Does it work that way for you? Can you provide an URL for a page that contains links that aren't working right?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ino_SS.jpg

http://knowwheretheygo.org/media//stati ... sample.pdf
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
noodlehead

Post by noodlehead »

Thanks for the reply thom-22.
You are correct as far as the two samples you provide. I can control-click and select Download Link Target, and I see it is about to download a jpg; pdf.
But when I try the same elsewhere it does not work.
Here is a URL I just picked randomly. It is for Jazz mp3s. http://www.jazz-on-line.com/
When I control click on any of the artist names in the lists, say for instance Duke Ellington, here is what I get: Duke_Ellington.htm
I'm stumped.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

noodlehead wrote:When I control click on any of the artist names in the lists, say for instance Duke Ellington, here is what I get: Duke_Ellington.htm
I'm stumped.

That is normal. The link points to a 'Duke_Ellington.htm' page (that is the target of the link, iow). If you go that page, then you'll see a list of links to music files in RealMedia format.
thom-22

Post by thom-22 »

Yeah, that's normal. Are you showing the status bar? In the View menu, if the 4th item says "Show Status Bar" then choose it. Now when you hover your pointer over a link, you'll see the URL of the Link Target appear in the gray bar in the lower left of the browser window, the URL of the file that will be downloaded if you "Download Link Target...".
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
noodlehead

Post by noodlehead »

Thanks all.
I'm narrowing this down. The URL I gave was a bad example since I later realized it was not a link to a single item but a list of downloadable items - and yes, when I got there, I could Control-Click Download Link Target> and see I was about to download a .ram file.
I've since tried similar tests and got good results. However, where it does not work is when I log into a site that I subscribe to, such as a newsgroup, using a commercial news service - then I get the .html and not a .jpg. But what's important here, even though I'm doing something fairly specific (logging into a new server and accessing a newsgroup) the problem does not occur in Safari or Firefox or Chrome.
For example, I log in to and access a newsgroup named "alt.binaries.clip-art." I select a random item, and in Safari, Download Linked File As gives me "Sunset_062_170.jpg." In Firefox, Save Link As gives me "Sunset_062_170.jpg." But in Camino, Download Linked Target gives me "Sunset_062_170.jpg.html."

thom-22 --I don't see the View menu item you mention. Here's mine: (*humm, how can I past a screen shot?)
Absent a screen shot, here's what I see in my View Menu
Hide Toolbar
Customize Toolbar
Hide Bookmark Bar
Stop Loading Page (grey)
Reload Page
Zoom in
Actual Size (grey)
Zoom Out
Zoom Text Only
View Page Source
Text Encoding
I don't see any option named Show Status Bar

thom-22

Post by thom-22 »

noodlehead wrote:thom-22 --I don't see the View menu item you mention. Here's mine: (*humm, how can I past a screen shot?) 

Okay, sorry. Apparently that menu item was added after Camino 2.0 (I'm using a development build of a later version of Camino). The point was, though, that you should have a gray bar at the bottom of your browser window and the URL should appear on the left side of the bar whenever you hover over a link. What does it say when you hover over a .jpg link at the newsgroup site you mentioned? Also, please give the URL for the page that contains the problem links, so we can visit it ourselves and try to see what's going on.
noodlehead

Post by noodlehead »

I do have the grey bar. Ex: I hover over your link to Lisa'a Applescripts...and see at bottom- left http://homepage.mac.com/lthompson.22/ap ... amino.html. So that works.
Also, I have been testing in lots of different situations and again, have narrowed this down.
Here is a very quirky thing I have discovered:
I am in one of the newsgroups that I access using the News Server I subscribe to (Easynews).
I'll paste in a link to one such problem page (really, all the pages are a problem but only in Camino) but since I am getting there after signing in, I'm not sure how this can work for you to test. Here goes anyway: http://members.easynews.com/news/d/c/c/ ... 1310912370. This opens alt.binaries.clip-art.
So I am in alt.binaries.clip-art. I Control Click on "Alphebet Masquerade.jpg" and Download Linked Target only gets me the html, as noted before. BUT, if I select Open Link In New Tab, it does so. Then if I switch over to that tab, I can Control Click and get Save Image!
That does work but it's obviously tedious. BUT more significantly, when I return to the original Tab and try the same thing all over, this time Download Linked Target works and gives me the .jpg without having to open it again in a new tab.
So it seems Camino needs the image to be opened first before it can download the linked target, or save the image.
None of this is the case in any other browser that I use or test with.
Any ideas? Suggestions?
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

The server dos fuzzy things with content type for those files. That comes up every while and then (and I suspect you'll see the same happen with Firefox).

You can use 'Download Link Target', let it download with the .html extension and then change the extension to .jpg in the Finder. In most cases that I've seen.