[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
nizhneportovaya

Re: [Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Che

Post by nizhneportovaya »

Chris000001 wrote:
nizhneportovaya wrote:Is there a way to find **unreviewed** updates of installed add-ons with Addon Update Checker?
No. Only the ID is specifically sent by the add-on (app and version has to be sent, but you don't specify that when you send the request) and a response of available update of not is returned. That's all done by the add-ons site. There would have to be changes there to let what you want to happen.

OK, thanks. I thought, it could be implemented by parsing/comparing some text from /versions/-HTML's... I am presently using Update-Scanner-extension to track version-pages of all my installed add-ons for modifications, but I thought it would be more comfortable to use another approach...
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

nizhneportovaya wrote:I am presently using Update-Scanner-extension to track version-pages of all my installed add-ons for modifications

Did you try Alert Box? I wasn't keen on Update Scanner....but that's just me.
Cheers,
Keith
nizhneportovaya

Post by nizhneportovaya »

keithy397 wrote:
nizhneportovaya wrote:I am presently using Update-Scanner-extension to track version-pages of all my installed add-ons for modifications

Did you try Alert Box? I wasn't keen on Update Scanner....but that's just me.

Thanks, I gave it a quick try, but it lacks batch-capabilities... Manually adding over 80 pages for all my extensions is quite too much hassle... Could be done much quicker in Update-Scanner, but it is no optimal solution...
So I am hoping for some update in Addon-Update-Checker, or something new...
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

It won't be happening here. I'm using commands built into Gecko. First I get add-ons by type. That fills an array with the add-on's ID. I then use another Gecko command to send those IDs to addons.mozilla.org which responds either update available, or update check complete (no update.) If if responds update available, I change the icon for my add-on and open the correct page if selected. It would be a completely new add-on to do what you need.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Chris000001,

now that i finally switched to tb5, i can't use update notifier so i went hunting for AUC for tbird. no luck. ratzenfratz! [*grin*] are you going to make a tbird version of addon update checker?

take care,
lee
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy Chris000001,

now that i finally switched to tb5, i can't use update notifier so i went hunting for AUC for tbird. no luck. ratzenfratz! [*grin*] are you going to make a tbird version of addon update checker?

take care,
lee

It works in Thunderbird (and SeaMonkey) as well. If you have the .xpi, just drag it to the Thunderbird add-ons manager. Or, change the word Firefox to Thunderbird in the url posted in the first post. I don't think you can search and find it since it is not reviewed yet.

edit: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/addon-update-checker/
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Hi Chris,

Would it be possible to enable a tooltip from the AUC menu/status bar icon displaying available updates?

The 'other' extension had this function and I found it really handy.
Cheers,
Keith
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Chris000001,

hot ziggity! thanks, dude. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

keithy397 wrote:Hi Chris,

Would it be possible to enable a tooltip from the AUC menu/status bar icon displaying available updates?

I have a version here that already does this. I'm waiting for preliminary review before I update again. That way addons.mozilla.org won't show that it hasn't been reviewed at all. Plus I want to test more. Every time I update, you go to the back of the line.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Chris000001 wrote:Every time I update, you go to the back of the line.

That's ok, we British are used to waiting in a queue!
Cheers,
Keith
alf_nl

Post by alf_nl »

Hello Chris,
I translated EOM into Dutch (I'm the Dutch translator at BabelZilla).
Would you be so kind to upload AUC to BabelZilla as well?
tia
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Chris000001 wrote:

I have a version here that already does this. I'm waiting for preliminary review before I update again. That way addons.mozilla.org won't show that it hasn't been reviewed at all. Plus I want to test more. Every time I update, you go to the back of the line.

Version AUC 1.3 now shows it's been preliminary reviewed.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

alf_nl wrote:Hello Chris,
I translated EOM into Dutch (I'm the Dutch translator at BabelZilla).
Would you be so kind to upload AUC to BabelZilla as well?
tia

I will try to get to it in the next few days.

1.4 released. It should hit the add-on mirrors soon. Added tooltip to icon/menu when update available. It displays name and new version. DEFAULT SETTING CHANGED - no longer defaults to check for updates on startup. The option is still there. I was afraid this might hammer the addons.mozilla.org servers if people restart their apps often.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

rob64rock wrote:
Chris000001 wrote:

Version AUC 1.3 now shows it's been preliminary reviewed.

Thanks very much Chris, just the job and thanks for the heads-up rob64rock.

As a matter of interest, one of the reasons I asked about this was because I have a Microsoft.net extension that NEVER updates which means my icon always shows blue. I never installed it, apart from deleting it out of the extensions folder, is there any way to force an uninstall?
Cheers,
Keith
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

keithy397 wrote:As a matter of interest, one of the reasons I asked about this was because I have a Microsoft.net extension that NEVER updates which means my icon always shows blue. I never installed it, apart from deleting it out of the extensions folder, is there any way to force an uninstall?

That is one of those extensions that got installed with Windows update: Microsoft NET 3.5 SP (KB951847)

Microsoft NET 3.5 SP (KB951847) Mozillazine thread discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1064265

How to remove/Uninstall:
http://wyday.com/blog/2008/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-net-framework-assistant-from-firefox/

Mozilla is currently working on notifying users(also possibly provide a way to deny there installation)of those type of third party extensions being installed.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Extension_Manager:Projects:Third_Party_Add-on_Warnings