[Ext] Foobar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
zegames

Re: [Ext] Foobar

Post by zegames »

This bug is gone, everything is fine by now.
Arcademus

Post by Arcademus »

Any plans to support the Aurora/Nightly channels, and to fix incompatibilities with the Switch-to-Tab feature?
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Arcademus wrote:Any plans to support the Aurora/Nightly channels, and to fix incompatibilities with the Switch-to-Tab feature?

It works here in Aurora and Nightly if compatibility checking is turned off with Addons Compatibility Reporter.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Mjolkspam

Post by Mjolkspam »

Any idea when the support for Firefox 5.0 is here? :)
Arcademus

Post by Arcademus »

dmccunney wrote:It works here in Aurora and Nightly if compatibility checking is turned off with Addons Compatibility Reporter.

Perhaps so. Still, if it really does work, I'd rather it be marked as compatible so I can receive updates automatically.
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Arcademus wrote:
dmccunney wrote:It works here in Aurora and Nightly if compatibility checking is turned off with Addons Compatibility Reporter.

Perhaps so. Still, if it really does work, I'd rather it be marked as compatible so I can receive updates automatically.

If compatibility checking is turned off, and Firefox is willing to install/enable it, I believe automatic updates will occur.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

craigpierce wrote:1) Yes - open the options for Foobar, go to the General tab, and uncheck the checkbox for "Must hold ctrl key when scrolling engines"

Thank you, I've found it out later after I've posted my message.
craigpierce wrote:2) I will certainly take a look at this - I'm trying to be as compatible as I can be, both with Firefox's default behaviors and other addons

That would be very nice. Though I seriously suggest you to think over implementing this addon's functionality into your extension.
craigpierce wrote:3) Someone else mentioned this as well - here was my response:

I had intended to serve up the correct suggestions from the very beginning. However, I'm using Firefox's built in suggestion functionality and it keys off of the default search engine. So, I can't tell it what search engine to use for the suggestions - it always uses the default. This is at the top of my TODO list, though, and hopefully I'll figure out a way to make it work!

I may be able to change the default engine as you suggested to fit the given engine keyword - however, I think I would change it right back to what it was, since the idea of specifying the engine to use on a per search basis was to circumvent the default, leaving it intact.

I'll see what I can do!

Once I've created a bug in Bugzilla for this and it was even marked as "NEW", though it remains ignored for almost a year.
So maybe you could write a patch to fix this bug for the whole browser, not just for your extension? :) This would be mega-awesome.
Arcademus

Post by Arcademus »

dmccunney wrote:If compatibility checking is turned off, and Firefox is willing to install/enable it, I believe automatic updates will occur.

Unfortunately that's not the case. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=527141
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Arcademus wrote:
dmccunney wrote:If compatibility checking is turned off, and Firefox is willing to install/enable it, I believe automatic updates will occur.

Unfortunately that's not the case. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=527141

<sigh> So noted, and I added a vote in favor of a fix.

I manually check for updates regularly anyway, so not getting automatic updates is not a deal breaker here, but I agree it's a problem.
______
Dennis
DJWebDUck

Post by DJWebDUck »

INSTRUCTIONS: How to Make Foobar Compatible with Firefox 5

1. Download the current Foobar .xpi to your desktop -- https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... don-detail

2. Once finished, close Firefox and locate the file, foobar-1.6-fx.xpi.

3. Extract its contents to your desktop. This can be done by changing the .xpi extension to .zip, or you can right-click and open in 7-zip (Windows) or The Unarchiver (Mac). You will now have a folder named foobar-1.6-fx.

4. Inside that folder, locate the install.rdf file and open it with your preferred text editor--e.g. Notepad, WordPad, TextWrangler, etc.

5. Inside the install.rdf file, locate this line: <em:maxVersion>4.0.*</em:maxVersion>

6. Change the 4.0.* to 20 (actually you can change it to whatever you'd like but because Mozilla is going to start releasing more frequent updates, it just makes sense to go with something larger).

7. After doing so, hit Ctrl+S (Win) or Cmd+S (Mac) and exit the program.

8. Select all of the contents inside the foobar-1.6-fx folder and compress them.

9. Rename the compressed, zipped file as foobar-1.6-fx.xpi

10. Open Firefox 5 and drag your newly named foobar-1.6-fx.xpi into the browser and release.

11. Follow the install prompts and restart the browser.

12. Enjoy Foobar once again!
Tús na heagna eagla an Tiarna...
Proverbs 3:5-6 | Dikaia Upotheke | IRFU & USA Eagles | Go Aztecs! Go Gators! Go Ducks! Go Blue! Go Irish!
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

DJWebDUck wrote:INSTRUCTIONS: How to Make Foobar Compatible with Firefox 5

1. Download the current Foobar .xpi to your desktop -- https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... don-detail

2. Once finished, close Firefox and locate the file, foobar-1.6-fx.xpi.

3. Extract its contents to your desktop. This can be done by changing the .xpi extension to .zip, or you can right-click and open in 7-zip (Windows) or The Unarchiver (Mac). You will now have a folder named foobar-1.6-fx.

4. Inside that folder, locate the install.rdf file and open it with your preferred text editor--e.g. Notepad, WordPad, TextWrangler, etc.

5. Inside the install.rdf file, locate this line: <em:maxVersion>4.0.*</em:maxVersion>

6. Change the 4.0.* to 20 (actually you can change it to whatever you'd like but because Mozilla is going to start releasing more frequent updates, it just makes sense to go with something larger).

7. After doing so, hit Ctrl+S (Win) or Cmd+S (Mac) and exit the program.

8. Select all of the contents inside the foobar-1.6-fx folder and compress them.

9. Rename the compressed, zipped file as foobar-1.6-fx.xpi

10. Open Firefox 5 and drag your newly named foobar-1.6-fx.xpi into the browser and release.

11. Follow the install prompts and restart the browser.

12. Enjoy Foobar once again!

It's much simpler here. I use the open source 7-zip archiver.

I download the XPI file to a preferred location, right-click in Windows Explorer, and from the 7-zip context menu entry, select Open Archive.

7-zip opens the archive and show me the contents. I select the install.rdf line, right-click, and select Edit.

7-zip extracts the install.rdf file and opens it in my preferred editor. (The default is Notepad. I configured it to use Florian Balmer's open source Notepad2.)

I do the edit as described above, then Save the install.rdf file and exit the editor. 7-zip sees it was changed, and asks me if I want to update it in the archive. I say yes. Poof! Done!

I can now install from the local XPI file.
______
Dennis
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

One quirk I just noticed in Foobar: it has two choices for "Suggestion style", Simple, and Rich. If I use Simple, I get an undecorated drop-down box, and a character or two entered in the URL bar are all that is needed to retrieve likely sample URLs from History and Bookmarks. If I use Rich, that changes - I have to enter a lot more of the target URL I'm after before it kicks in.

I have no idea why this should be the case. I just use Simple for speed, but don't understand why styling is affecting how much I have to enter to initiate retrieval.
______
Dennis
KaaMoS

Post by KaaMoS »

First of all, thank you so much for your work!

I'd like to tell you that I've already posted this request at Mozilla Add-ons, this is a copy just in case you didn't check it there under the name "More than 10 visible suggestions?".

I'd like to change the maximum number of visible suggestions for search results and URL bar from 10 to something higher. Since my monitor is 1680x1050, I'd like to use 54 instead:
· 12 for search suggestions (probably less)
· 42 for URL bar suggestions.

I already tried by changing these values directly from about:config but it doesn't work.
I also changed "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" to fit with them, but it doesn't affect Foobar's restriction (no matter which value I use); so, Add-ons like "Locationbar Limit" can't work together with yours.

Do you think you could allow users to change the maximum value for visible suggestions from 10 to anything higher, please? if this were possible, I could use just your Add-on instead of use 2 (or even 3).

In my opinion, Add-ons that Foobar could replace if this feature were added are:
· Oldbar
· Old Locaton Bar
· Locationbar Limit
· Omnibar

Thank you so much!
-=[ VERONIKA ZEMANOVÁ LOVER ]=-
KaaMoS

Post by KaaMoS »

I also have other little requests:

· As Navigation bar and Search bar are mixed, their context menus should be merged (I've lost all Search bar context menu features).
· There should be an option to open search results in a background tab. Since I installed Foobar, all search results are being displayed in a new, but focused tab. This is so annoying.

Thanks!
-=[ VERONIKA ZEMANOVÁ LOVER ]=-
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

If I use Rich styling for suggestions, I only get a single suggestion despite my settings.