How do I disable FF5 tab resize behaviour?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rob64rock

Re: How do I disable FF5 tab resize behaviour?

Post by rob64rock »

Globe199 wrote:The only question is, what new annoyances will FF 6 bring?[/i] Maybe we need an O'Reilly book to cover this topic :lol:

Theres the new Urlbar Identity block design for Firefox 6:
Bug 634065 - Implement design for identity block and persistent indicators
Give this style a look if you don't like the new design:
http://userstyles.org/styles/49786/firefox-6-urlbar-identity-box-label-styled

Firefox URL domain Highlighting:
Bug 451833 - Highlight the domain name in the address bar

Can be Disabled by using about:config pref: browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled; set to false.
Starquest

Post by Starquest »

ReggieNJ wrote:Tab Utilities includes a hidden option to disable this feature. This is the only workaround I know of (so far).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-utilities/

After install, go to about:config and set 'extensions.tabutils.delayResizing' to 'false'

This worked for me, thank you. Is that option available via the GUI? I wasn't able to find it.
naejacio

Post by naejacio »

Same problem here. It's extremely annoying and distracting when you close tabs. Is there no way other than installing the addon in order to fix this problem? I am really getting tired of this. I don't want to install a new extention each time they "fix" a "bug".
Blocki

Post by Blocki »

I have the same "problem". Thats why I havent updated to 5 on my laptop yet... And as I am using TMP I am unable to use Tab-Utilities. Is there any normal hidden option to disable this annoying behavior? The UI should react directly on my interactions with it without any delays... But since 5 it is not anymore like this. 4 was just fine for me...

Edit: That's so annoying that I have "downgraded" to 4.0.1 again till there is a real solution.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Tab Mix Plus users can head over to the extension's support forum to ask if the feature will be added.
:arrow: tmp.garyr.net/forum
subfire

Post by subfire »

rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Tab Mix Plus users can head over to the extension's support forum to ask if the feature will be added.
:arrow: tmp.garyr.net/forum

TMP feature request submitted:
http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 503#p51503

subfire wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=672924

please support if someone cares

commented and vote +1

Thanks for filing the feature enhancement bug for providing an Option or about:config pref to disable the tab re-sizing behavior in Fx 5.
Last edited by rob64rock on July 24th, 2011, 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

You can use CSS to disable the resizing tab close behavior until this Bug 667607 is RESOLVED FIXED. Use this:

http://userstyles.org/styles/53190/firefox-6-disable-resizing-tab-close-behavior
Last edited by rob64rock on September 16th, 2011, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

@ rob64rock

You should be awarded the Distinguished Community Service Award medal for this =D>
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

T0morrow wrote:@ rob64rock

You should be awarded the Distinguished Community Service Award medal for this =D>

Thanks, but the previously posted CSS code had some issues.

The userstyle now disables the resizing tab close behavior:

Now updated: http://userstyles.org/styles/53190/firefox-6-disable-resizing-tab-close-behavior

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned]) {
 max-width: 250px !important;
 min-width: 100px !important;
}

.tabbrowser-tab:not([fadein]) {
 max-width: 1px !important;
 min-width: 1px !important;
 max-width: 1px;
 min-width: 1px;
}

.closing-tabs-spacer {
 width: 0 !important;
}

*** You can change the code values of the top 2 preferences***
The ones already entered (250 and 100)px is the defaults(adjust to your own preference)... max-width is the default size for a tab, min-width is the smallest it'll go.. don't change anything code below tho...

To disable Open/Close tab animations also set about:config pref:
browser.tabs.animate; set to false.

Credit for above code goes to:

ithinc: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/user/864971

timmyfox: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=574654#c25

Thanks to bogas04 for pointing me in the wright direction: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 65086#c272
Last edited by rob64rock on September 3rd, 2011, 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blocki

Post by Blocki »

You are the best, rob64rock!! Works like a charm with Firefox 6.0.1 .:)

Also thanks alot for notifying me per PM as well.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Getbrett wrote:
Getbrett wrote:Thanks, but that does not revert to FF4 behaviour, it disables tab animations entirely, so they snap into place instead of smoothly resizing. I'd like the FF4 smooth resizing back.

Correction: this has not changed tab behaviour, nor has it fully disabled animations. Opening enough tabs to fill the tab bar, then closing the second furthest right will still cause them to resize in the periphery vision once I move the cursor away.

I'm going to revert to FF4 for the time being.

If I understand this thread you want to make the tab width constant, correct?

If so, if you are using TMP, you can set tab width. If you want it constant, you can set the min-width and max-width the same.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:
Getbrett wrote:
Getbrett wrote:Thanks, but that does not revert to FF4 behaviour, it disables tab animations entirely, so they snap into place instead of smoothly resizing. I'd like the FF4 smooth resizing back.

Correction: this has not changed tab behaviour, nor has it fully disabled animations. Opening enough tabs to fill the tab bar, then closing the second furthest right will still cause them to resize in the periphery vision once I move the cursor away.

I'm going to revert to FF4 for the time being.

If I understand this thread you want to make the tab width constant, correct?

If so, if you are using TMP, you can set tab width. If you want it constant, you can set the min-width and max-width the same.

No, Yes I use and I'm aware of those TMP options, but using them alone doesn't disable tab closing behavior that this thread topic referring too.

Steps to reproduce the resizing tab close behavior of Bug 465086 :

- Open tabs until the entire tab bar is filled.
- Open a few more, so that the tab width is compressed a little from the default size.(Enter Tab Overflow Mode)
- Now pick a tab somewhere in the middle, and begin to close tabs using that as a fixed point for clicking the close button, until all tabs going from your point to the end of the tab bar are closed.
- Mouse cursor back down to the main window.
- Instead of snapping back instantly to refill the tab bar, the tabs slide back with animation, only after moving mouse cursor out of the tab bar.

Now repeat the above steps with style below enabled, it disables Bug 465086 resizing tab close behavior(allowing tabs to snap back instantly) without disabling open/closing tab animations(if enabled) for those still wanting tab animations.

To disable Open/Close tab animations also set about:config pref:
browser.tabs.animate; set to false.

http://userstyles.org/styles/53190/firefox-6-disable-resizing-tab-close-behavior
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Im not trying to be argumentative, but with this code in your userChrome.css file and the property you suggested above to be set false and the min-width and max-width set the same in TMP, I believe this works as desired.

/* remove the left / right arrow on the scroll bar */
.tabbrowser-tabs .scrollbutton-up, .scrollbutton-down
{
/* visible is default so without this code they will show */
visibility: hidden !important;
}

/* Show the arrows but gray when not needed */
.tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox
{
visibility: visible !important;
}

This makes a constant tab width, arrows are only present when there is overflow and the space for the arrows is retained even when there is no overflow. You can open tabs to overflow, click 1 place on any of the first few tabs without moving the mouse and close them all until you are below the tab you are closing with the 'X'.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.