Two FF versions?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rob64rock

Re: Two FF versions?

Post by rob64rock »

iamme99 wrote:
rob64rock wrote:If you want your Firefox profile in the same Custom Installation Directory as an alternative to step 4 above you could move the newly created Firefox profile(2011-07-30) to a new folder call "Firefox Profiles" (or whatever.) in the Mozilla Installation directory "C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox Profiles" (or whatever.), then use Desktop Shortcut Properties Target Line: profile "<path>"
Desktop Shortcut Target Line Example: "C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote -profile "C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox Profiles\2011-07-30"

That may not answer your last question but hope it is helpful to you.

I DID create the new profile. I CAN'T YET create a shortcut to the new version (step 4) because the new version is NOT installed.

Does FF install automatically upgrade a new version AND THEN you have to point it to the new profile and start over from there?

Now you are contradicting your self.
I then kicked off the install of FF 5.0.1. I chose "Custom" install. I specified the new install folder that I put V5 in (different than where the profile is stored).

You posted above that you had done step 2 and 3. The only mistake I assumed you made was running the new Firefox 5.0.1 installation before doing step 4 which I posted here:
If you didn't do the first part of step 3 above then, yes your new Firefox 5.0.1 installation will launch the last used Firefox profile in the Firefox profile directory. Then make sure you do step 4 correctly or your new Firefox installation will not launch using the newly created profile.

If you did the steps in the correct order this first part of step 3 applied to both step 3 and step 4:
Before you run the new version

So, forget what you have already done and do the steps in the exactly same order above and don't get ahead of you self and the 5 step process above will work.

If you want to you can still give my alternative to step 4 above a try, but first see if you can get the original 5 steps to work.
dobbelina

Post by dobbelina »

Best thing if you want 2 or unlimited versions of FF installed is to sandbox them.
Great with sandboxes is that if any settings go array, simply delete the box and restart to get back to
default settings.
Added bonus is that your system gets virtually impenetrable by malware going thru the browser.
I use Vmware thinapp to accomplish the above, couldn't live without it.
James

Post by James »

Separate install folder and separate Profile for each has been the standard basics since forever.
iamme99

Post by iamme99 »

@rob64rock

AGAIN - I COULD NOT install the NEW version because it upgrades the OLD version, obliterating the OLD version!

That is not what I am trying to do.

I want to be able to run my old version (3.6.18) at the same exact time as I am running V5.0.1.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

iamme99 wrote:@rob64rock

AGAIN - I COULD NOT install the NEW version because it upgrades the OLD version, obliterating the OLD version!

That is not what I am trying to do.

I want to be able to run my old version (3.6.18) at the same exact time as I am running V5.0.1.

You must not understand what step 2 was telling you then, if your new Fx 5.0.1 installation is placed in a different installation folder it won't overwrite your current Fx 3.6.18 installation.
2/. Run the new versions installer & choose "Custom" installation.
Choose a different folder/directory from your current version.
eg; C:\Firefox_V5 (or whatever.)

All it will do is on first run will use the last run Fx profile if you don't create a new profile and direct the new desktop shortcut to the newly create Fx profile. That's why I stated you to read and do the steps exactly has they say and do them in the correct order and don't get ahead of your self or the 5 step process will not work.

If you have found another solution that's good and it was pleasure to help you.

I the future you may want to give this guide a try:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2248607&p=11004785#p11004785
iamme99

Post by iamme99 »

rob64rock wrote:You must not understand what step 2 was telling you then, if your new Fx 5.0.1 installation is placed in a different installation folder it won't overwrite your current Fx 3.6.18 installation.

No, it does not. I tried that. It does not care WHERE the new install file resides.

Once again, if an installation exists in Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla , then you will be presented with an UPGRADE button ONLY during install of the new version. You WILL lose your old version (at least I did when I did this).

Try it yourself. If you do and in case you succeed, please take screenshots so you can show me where I went wrong.

Now, if I rename Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla, then I will get a new install button in the new version install. But then the old version is overwritten in Add/Remove programs and anything it wrote to the registry cannot be easily removed.

THEN I would have to create a new profile (clean) and start using that. But I still wouldn't have access to the old version (3.6.18).

I am unsure if the old version could still be run by then moving the old profile from the old copied Mozilla folder into a new profile in the new Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla folder. If so, then I might still be able to run the 3.6.18 and the 5.0.1 versions.
Last edited by iamme99 on July 31st, 2011, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamme99

Post by iamme99 »

rob64rock wrote:All it will do is on first run will use the last run Fx profile if you don't create a new profile and direct the new desktop shortcut to the newly create Fx profile. That's why I stated you to read and do the steps exactly has they say and do them in the correct order and don't get ahead of your self or the 5 step process will not work.

If you have found another solution that's good and it was pleasure to help you.

I the future you may want to give this guide a try:

You keep repeating the same thing. And I keep pointing out that I can't create the desktop icon UNTIL I have successfully completed the new version install AND I can't do that because FF automatically UPGRADES any existing version it finds, thereby obliterating my old installation.

Your link points to the install of the portable version. I am not using or installing the portable version. Perhaps that is why you are getting different results?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

iamme99 wrote:Try it yourself. If you do and in case you succeed, please take screenshots so you can show me where I went wrong.

"Try it yourself"? I don't know whose instructions you followed and how well, but I posted directions based on experience, not imagination.

I. Installation
01 · 02 · 03 · 04¹ · 05 · 06 · 07

II. Creating a new profile
08² · 09 · 10 · 11 · 12

III. Creating a desktop shortcut
13 · 14¹ · 15 · 16

¹ This is an example path for 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Windows. For 64-bit Firefox or 32-bit Windows, the path would be ...\Program Files\...

² This is the Start menu search/run box that was introduced in Windows Vista. Pressing Windows logo + R will accomplish the same thing, and works on all versions of Windows.
iamme99

Post by iamme99 »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
iamme99 wrote:Try it yourself. If you do and in case you succeed, please take screenshots so you can show me where I went wrong.

"Try it yourself"? I don't know whose instructions you followed and how well, but I posted directions based on experience, not imagination.

I. Installation
01 * 02 * 03 * 04¹ * 05 * 06 * 07

The key point is your #6 screenshot. You have an "INSTALL" button there, which means that this is a NEW install and that you do not have any existing profiles in Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla (or whatever the Vista/Win7 equivalent is). Correct?

This is the point I have been trying to get across!!

IF a profile exists, then an attempt to install a new version (even if you install to a new folder), will overwrite the old profile. You will see an UPGRADE button in your SS#6 instead of an INSTALL button. And you will lose your old FF version.

Again, I want to run simultaneously and together at the same time FF 3.6.18 AND FF 5.0.1.

If the old profile gets upgraded/overwritten, then obviously, I cannot do that.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

iamme99 wrote:Correct?

Of course not.
James

Post by James »

iamme99 wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:

I. Installation
01 * 02 * 03 * 04¹ * 05 * 06 * 07

The key point is your #6 screenshot. You have an "INSTALL" button there, which means that this is a NEW install and that you do not have any existing profiles in Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla (or whatever the Vista/Win7 equivalent is). Correct?

This is the point I have been trying to get across!!

IF a profile exists, then an attempt to install a new version (even if you install to a new folder), will overwrite the old profile. You will see an UPGRADE button in your SS#6 instead of an INSTALL button. And you will lose your old FF version.

Again, I want to run simultaneously and together at the same time FF 3.6.18 AND FF 5.0.1.

If the old profile gets upgraded/overwritten, then obviously, I cannot do that.

Sighs... a new Firefox install itself will not just override a Profile. What you are doing it trying to start the new Firefox install without selecting a specific separate Profile either by with ProfileManager or by in shortcut to start with specific Profile, so as a result your new Firefox install was just using the last Profile that you were using and therefore you are coming to conclusion that you cannot seem to install and use a second Firefox build.

You have been clearly shown how to do it and to use separate Profiles for 5.0.1 and 3.6.18

Post by Guest »

An easy way to run 2 versions is to run both of them as Firefox Portable (current and legacy). However, running them at the same time may be an issue. Links launched from emails may be unpredictable what they will launch in, setting default browser to Chrome would fix that.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

iamme99 wrote:The key point is your #6 screenshot. You have an "INSTALL" button there, which means that this is a NEW install and that you do not have any existing profiles in Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla (or whatever the Vista/Win7 equivalent is). Correct?

For the love of God, what is wrong with you?! Small children can do this stuff - probably because they don't get fixed ideas that block out all other information.

The key point is #7 Screenshot - Don't run the ******* installed Firefox, just go on to the next part about profiles.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

iamme99 wrote:IF a profile exists, then an attempt to install a new version (even if you install to a new folder), will overwrite the old profile. You will see an UPGRADE button in your SS#6 instead of an INSTALL button. And you will lose your old FF version.

Tried has you requested for me to test it my self by installing a new Fx 3.6.18 in it's default installation folder and then I installed Fx 5.0.1 in custom installation folder has directed in SS#4, while already having existing Fx profiles and I saw INSTALL button in SS#6 instead of an UPGRADE button has you stated.(I hope you haven't been launching the new Fx 5.0.1 install, prior to doing "II. Creating a new profile".)

I think all of us here that have tried to provide you help would like to see a screenshot of this UPGRADE button in your SS#6 :-k ...Who here agrees... :?:
Last edited by rob64rock on July 31st, 2011, 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Guest wrote:An easy way to run 2 versions is to run both of them as Firefox Portable (current and legacy). However, running them at the same time may be an issue. Links launched from emails may be unpredictable what they will launch in, setting default browser to Chrome would fix that.

To run multiple versions of Fx Portable read section about:
How to change Firefox Portable hidden Configuration settings:
To allow multiple running instances.
To allow you to Rename the Firefox.exe process to what you want like: FirefoxBeta.exe
To allow you to disable the Splash Screen when launched.
And many others that I don't use.

Info found here: