How do I get a flash player plug into Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

oreocracker

How do I get a flash player plug into Camino?

Post by oreocracker »

I had to uninstall flash 10.3 b/c Sitegrinder2 web design wouldn't work with flash 10.3. I found an archived version of 10.2.159 and tried to install that, but it doesn't seem to have been installed in any of my browsers. None of them play videos that used to play when I had the older version of flash. Any suggestions?
thank you
RPMozley

Re: How do I get a flash player plug into Camino?

Post by RPMozley »

Fixing permissions and tossing away pluginreg.dat from the profile is a good place to start, if you've not already done that.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

No I haven't. I'm learning. I'll try that, RP
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

On top of what RPMozley mentions,
* Is the plugin installed (correctly) - in /Library/Internet Plugins ? Did you use the uninstaller to remove Flash 10.3 ?
* You may need to throw away the Flash user data folder: ~/Preferences/Macromedia.

Important by using Flash 10.2.xx you are exposing yourself to serious, really serious, security holes. I forgot atm which Flash versions are black-listed by Camino, but I wouldn't be surprised if Flash 10.2.xx was blacklisted as a whole - and thus won't play anyway. End Important
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

Thank you, phlw. Might be time to learn the new version of SiteGrinder. Oh dear, wish it weren't so.
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

I've been talking with an Adobe Employee on their forum. It's not horrible for me to install it. It's working on Firefox, Safari and Chrome, but not Camino. Any other suggestions? I've done everything suggested so far.
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

Any other suggestions on how to make Camino accept the Flash Plug in?
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

oreocracker wrote:Any other suggestions? I've done everything suggested so far.

I checked now - Camino black-lists every Flash version below Flash 10.3.184

PS - I suspect Chrome is using its internal version of Flash, rather than the centrally installed one.
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

phiw13 wrote:I checked now - Camino black-lists every Flash version below Flash 10.3.184

What? Even for PowerPC users?
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

I reinstalled Camino Version 2.0.6 (1.9.0.19 2010111021) and it works fine now. I have no idea why, but it does. Thanks for your kind help and comments. I was starting to pull the rest of my last hair out. :)
IMO, Camino is the best browser out there. The techs have done a wonderful job creating and updating it. I Love it!
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

RPMozley wrote:
phiw13 wrote:I checked now - Camino black-lists every Flash version below Flash 10.3.184

What? Even for PowerPC users?

No. For Intel users. Should've mentioned it. On PPC, where there are no up-to-date and safe versions of the plugin, Flashblock is automatically turned on. (see bug 662666)
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

All versions of Flash 10 below Flash 10.3.184 are vulnerable to a security hole that is actively-exploited to steal users' passwords from high-value sites like Gmail. As a result, we have prevented these versions of Flash from being loaded in Camino 2.1 on Intel, and users should use upgrade to a version of Flash without known exploits.

On PPC, where Adobe dropped support with Flash 10.1 and where there are no non-exploitable versions, we enabled Flashblock since, unfortunately, it's not reasonably possible to completely block all versions of the Flash plug-in (ideally we'd show a warning to PPC users on first launch of 2.1).

I'm a bit surprised Firefox and Chrome haven't blocked these same insecure versions of Flash…

That said, is this Sitegrinder2 program something that runs in the browser using the Flash plug-in, or is it a regular Mac app that happens to depend on Flash somehow? If Sitegrinder2 is a regular desktop app, then you could try installing Flash 10.3 in the Internet Plug-Ins folder inside your Camino profile (~/Library/Application Support/Camino) rather than in the global Internet Plug-Ins folder and Camino will use 10.3.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

Uncle Asad,
SiteGrinder doesn't support version 2 any longer. It's a huge leap to learn the 3rd version and I was trying to get by before having to learn that one. SiteGrinder is a plug in to photoshop. I don't know how it uses flash, but it does. I do need to update flash b/c Camino works much better with it. Thank you for all of your great support!
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

At any rate, it seems from your description that you can do what I mentioned in my previous post: put the (dangerous) Flash 10.2 in the global Internet Plug-Ins folder (and beware that if you use other browsers, it will be dangerous), and put the safer Flash 10.3.x whatever in the Camino profile's Internet Plug-Ins folder, where Camino 2.1b1 should use it. That sounds like it should make SiteGrinder continue to work and keep you using a safer Flash version in Camino.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Uncle Asad wrote:… put the (dangerous) Flash 10.2 in the global Internet Plug-Ins folder (and beware that if you use other browsers, it will be dangerous), and put the safer Flash 10.3.x whatever in the Camino profile's Internet Plug-Ins folder, where Camino 2.1b1 should use it. That sounds like it should make SiteGrinder continue to work and keep you using a safer Flash version in Camino.

You know, that is actually pretty complicated to accomplish… The Adobe Flash player crappy installer writes and locks the version 'somewhere' (I've no idea where see Uncle Asad's post below) – and doesn't allow to select an install location other than the default.
Here is what I went through to accomplish this (tested on 10.6.8):
  1. Install the latest Flash player
  2. Move the 2 Flash files from /Library/Internet Plugins to the Camino profile ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/Internet Plugins
  3. Verify that Flash works by going to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
  4. Quit Camino
  5. Run the Flash uninstaller ( from: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_9090 ... %20Leopard)
  6. Remove /Library/Receipts/Adobe Flash Player.pkg
  7. Remove the Macromedia folder from ~/Library/Preferences
  8. Install the Flash 10.2 plugin (I'd have to find the url for downloading it, I had it stored locally).
  9. Remove, again, the Macromedia folder mentioned above.
Now Camino will run using Flash 10.3 latest, while others will use Flash 10.2
(one thing I forgot to check - I think Chrome will use its internal version of Flash rather than the system one in this scenario; I'm not sure - and I already uninstalled the whole shebang).

Of course, you'd have to go through that whole thing again every time you want to update the Flash plugin (or if the OS updates the Flash Player for you).

--
I'm pretty happy without the Flash plugin on my system :-).
(on thing I noticed recently: the File Info window (displays all meta data about images) in Adobe Photoshop is broken in that case; it loads and promptly hangs the whole app ](*,) .)
Last edited by phiw13 on August 4th, 2011, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.