"Open with" composer?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dwankan

"Open with" composer?

Post by dwankan »

I've searched and searched, and I can't find a good solution to this problem. I've seen several people ask this question or something very similar, but nobody seems to answer the question directly.
I want to be able to use SeaMonkey only to edit my html docs. I don't want to use the browser at all. I've checked composer in the appearance settings, but I still can't seem to figure out how to open my htmls with composer without the inconvenience of first opening the program, then opening the file. Since I'm dealing with a huge pile of individual pages that I want to be able to open and close within the folder, this doubles the time I have to spend on them.
How do I completely disable the browser in SeaMonkey so that when I right click on one of my pages and click "open with" "SeaMonkey," I'm not getting the silly SeaMonkey browser, but the composer so that I can then immediately edit without clicking through a few more extraneous steps?
nnuts

Re: "Open with" composer?

Post by nnuts »

have you tried http://kompozer.net/
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Have you even looked at your Preferences settings? No, you haven't.

Preferences > Appearance > When SeaMonkey starts up, open

(and the selections are)

Browser
Mail & Newsgroups
Composer
Address Book
Chatzilla

I have SeaMonkey configured to open Mail & Newsgroups in versions 2.2, 2.3b and 2.4a2.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
dwankan

Post by dwankan »

"Have you even looked at your Preferences settings? No, you haven't."
Well, actually, yes, I have. If you'd read my comment, you would have seen that I have set my "Appearance" settings to open Composer. Yes, I have, and it makes no difference. When I right click, and choose to open with SeaMonkey, it still opens in a browser window.
therube

Post by therube »

Create a batch file, something like:

Code: Select all

C:\SeaMonkey_22\seamonkey.exe  -editor  %1

Right-click an html file, Send to -> Choose default program,
then select the above batch file. You can actually set as default or you could simply have it populate the menu choices.

You could set other options, like you might specify a particular Profile to open, or add the -no-remote switch.

Code: Select all

C:\SeaMonkey_22\seamonkey.exe  -editor  %1 -P 22editor  -no-remote

Adjust as necessary.

(Not that I know about Editor, but I would not particularly use SeaMonkey 2.2's editor as bugs were introduced instead using 2.1 or if things are rectified in 2.3 <which I don't know if will be the case>, or you use an alternative.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

dwankan wrote:"Have you even looked at your Preferences settings? No, you haven't."
Well, actually, yes, I have. If you'd read my comment, you would have seen that I have set my "Appearance" settings to open Composer. Yes, I have, and it makes no difference. When I right click, and choose to open with SeaMonkey, it still opens in a browser window.

Soooooooooooooo sorry! My hearing was bad after just getting home from a Ted Nugent concert.

So did you uncheck open with the Browser?

Why do you right click? I have an icon on my desktop that I just click and it opens Mail & Newsgroups, just like I have SeaMonkey configured to open.

In fact in my applications menu I have icons for the Web Browser, Mail & Newsgroups, and Composer. I just select the Composer icon and it opens Composer.

The again if all you want to do is right click on an HTML file and select composer. Good Luck!
dwankan

Post by dwankan »

I'm right clicking on the html file, and composer only opens if I open the program itself. I don't have the option, when opening an html file within its folder, of choosing which part of SeaMonkey to open it with; it chooses for me (the browser). Maybe this is an OS difference, but on my system, I have one icon for SeaMonkey that connects to one particular component, from which you can then open the others with the icons at the bottom. I changed the setting in "Appearance" to open Composer (and unchecked everything else there), and the composer opens when I click on the SeaMonkey icon, but when I go to a particular file and do the open with, it's defaulting back to the browser. It's a small inconvenience. I generally like to just open the file I want rather than having to open the program first and then browse for the file.
As for the batch file, therube, you're talking over my head, and after reading several other posts and replies on the forums here, I'm getting the impression that the software and the community here are geared toward people who know much more than I do about software. I just wanted a visual editor to create a simple website, and I read somewhere that SeaMonkey's composer was alright. I keep coming back to the comment in the forums that virtually all visual editors don't work well, and that if you want a website, you should learn html. That's frustrating.
Thanks for your suggestions.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

So what is the problem with opening Composer, then selecting Open from the toolbar, then selecting the file, or selecting from the menu, File > Open File, or Ctrl + O?

They all work.

What is with the insistence of going back to the file and doing open with?
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

If you're a Firefox user, why use SM in the first place, if it's just for editing HTML files? As nnuts suggested above, try KompoZer. It's basically the stand-alone version of Composer, with bug fixes and more advanced features. Use version 0.8b3.
But then again, I may be wrong.