Nightly 8.0a1 Quicktime plugin issue

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
SeeD419

Nightly 8.0a1 Quicktime plugin issue

Post by SeeD419 »

I've uninstalled, and reinstalled quicktime. I've deleted the MIME types file and had it regenerate, as well as manually selecting the file type I'm trying to play - which is a .mov file.

Firefox does not even recognize that Quicktime is installed in about:plugins or the addons section. Although, It definitely is. I'm baffled.

https://support.mozilla.com/media/uploa ... 6b303e.png
Last edited by trolly on August 10th, 2011, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image too large
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Nightly 8.0a1 Quicktime plugin issue

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
SeeD419

Post by SeeD419 »

Yeah...I stumbled across this article. I don't seem to have the files they're referring to.

I assumed it was probably because they weren't referring to nightly and maybe it was set up differently. Regardless though, my nightly directory has no plugins folder.

Also, I did delete the "pluginreg.dat" file to no avail.

Edit: Okay I found those files in the Quicktime installation directory instead (even though it says XP and below) so I moved them to a temporary folder. Tried starting, restarting firefox. Checking for the plugin, resetting the default file types...nothing. It's like it doesn't even exist to firefox.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

SeeD419 wrote:my nightly directory has no plugins folder.

"plugins" folder was removed before (Bug#533891),
so you have to create yourself.
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
SeeD419

Post by SeeD419 »

pal-moz wrote:
SeeD419 wrote:my nightly directory has no plugins folder.

"plugins" folder was removed before (Bug#533891),
so you have to create yourself.

Well, that certainly sounded like a shot in the dark, but I went with it. I created a 'plugins' folder, and moved the entire quicktime 'plugin' folder into it, with all the required dll files. Nothing.

I did some searching on Apples website. No avail.

Removed Quicktime from the blocked.xml file in the nightly directory. No avail.

Checked out the about:config settings when searching 'plugin' to find no useful settings.

I even set a default file type for firefox to use quicktime in Options > Applications, and it still can't find the plugin.

I'm at a loss. It's sad that Firefox is pulling the Microsoft approach..."firefox will automatically detect the plugin". Yeah? Well you're doing a horrible job at it, considering it's been installed repeatedly on the same machine, and I've spent hours trying, desperately trying to point you directly to it. Seriously, is there a place where I can just tell firefox, "here, it's in the folder labeled "Quicktime" in "Program Files". use THIS."
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 10th, 2011, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In case it is not clear to you, this forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community. We'd appreciate it if you watch the language you use in your posts. faq.php?mode=rules#f4r1
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

SeeD419 wrote: I created a 'plugins' folder, and moved the entire quicktime 'plugin' folder into it, with all the required dll files. Nothing.

No, it wouldn't do anything. Copy and paste the CONTENTS of the Quicktime folder into your new plugins folder, not the QT folder itself. Also, don't move that QT folder out of it's original location, it was there for a reason.

Normally QT stuff is just autodetected by Firefox, but doing the above will sort it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

SeeD419 wrote:I've uninstalled, and reinstalled quicktime. I've deleted the MIME types file and had it regenerate, as well as manually selecting the file type I'm trying to play - which is a .mov file.

Firefox does not even recognize that Quicktime is installed in about:plugins or the addons section. Although, It definitely is. I'm baffled.

You won't get the Quicktime plug-in on Fx Win x64. Ain't gonna happen until Apple makes a Quicktime x64 Win Plug-in.

Your UA shows you're running Fx Win x64.

Run Fx Win 32 bit and you'll see this in your AOM Plug-ins section:

"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
SeeD419

Post by SeeD419 »

DanRaisch wrote:In case it is not clear to you, this forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community. We'd appreciate it if you watch the language you use in your posts. faq.php?mode=rules#f4r1

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a Christian forum.

Frank Lion wrote:
SeeD419 wrote: I created a 'plugins' folder, and moved the entire quicktime 'plugin' folder into it, with all the required dll files. Nothing.

No, it wouldn't do anything. Copy and paste the CONTENTS of the Quicktime folder into your new plugins folder, not the QT folder itself. Also, don't move that QT folder out of it's original location, it was there for a reason.

Normally QT stuff is just autodetected by Firefox, but doing the above will sort it.

I did paste the contents....I assumed that was so blatantly obvious I didn't even realize I would have had to describe it in such detail. No, it doesn't work - I've tried it exactly as you described the first time.

mikedl wrote:
SeeD419 wrote:I've uninstalled, and reinstalled quicktime. I've deleted the MIME types file and had it regenerate, as well as manually selecting the file type I'm trying to play - which is a .mov file.

You won't get the Quicktime plug-in on Fx Win x64. Ain't gonna happen until Apple makes a Quicktime x64 Win Plug-in.

Your UA shows you're running Fx Win x64.

Run Fx Win 32 bit and you'll see this in your AOM Plug-ins section:

Well then. A real answer from someone who actually knows something. Thanks. I won't worry about it then. I'll just disable the plugin notification in the about:config. Thank you very much sir.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

You're welcome.

However, to be truthful, many of the responses you received prior to mine were from posters far more knowledgeable than me.

I'm not sure how the fact you are running Fx x64 Win yet still searching for the Quicktime plug-in therein was missed.

In order for a plug-in to work in x64 Fx, the plug-in has to be specifically designed for an x64 browser.

In any case, I'm glad you got it sorted. :)

Here's a snapshot of my Fx x64 Win plug-ins (Flash Beta 11-2 is out but I found it messed up a few sites I visit so I rolled back to Flash Beta 11-1):

Note that all of the above are specifically designed for a 64bit browser.
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
SeeD419

Post by SeeD419 »

mikedl wrote:Note that all of the above are specifically designed for a 64bit browser.

Nah, I know man, lol.

I'm running 64-bit plugins for everything else. I guess it's just one of those things....when you've been running x64 with plugins for over a year....I guess you just forget that some companies like Apple still haven't gotten around to developing even a development plugin for x64 systems. I've been running Adobe Square for so long I forget that it's some obscure link that the general population probably doesn't even know about and that Adobe doesn't even have a recommended x64 build out yet.

Just totally slipped my mind, tbh. Thanks again.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote:Normally QT stuff is just autodetected by Firefox, but doing the above will sort it.

I only just noticed that unlike with 3.6+ and 7.0.1 the QT plugin was missing from 8.0b.
Hmm :-k Why, a bug ?
The above did indeed sort it, plugin(s) installed and I'm able to watch the Apple 'Immortals' trailer....
Thanks Frank, glad I found this thread.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.