Mozilla not connecting to the internet ( but IE does)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
buddha horns

Mozilla not connecting to the internet ( but IE does)

Post by buddha horns »

Ok, here is what I have done. I could not connect mcafee to the registration server for some reason and I thought it had something to do with mcafee using mozilla as the default browser. I decided to delete mozilla ( cause I could not figure out how to make mcafee look for ie) and then I had the same problem.

I decided to go back to a checkpoint before i had done all this and when i did this all came back as planned but when I opened mozilla the mozilla picture came up and then quickly disapeered.

I think used fixit utility 5 to clean the registery out and then installed firefox. Firefox worked fine except that it didnt connect to the internet. I deleted firefox and then installed from the site mozilla.
Mozilla did the same thing ( would not connect to the internet).

I did a restore of the registery ( using fixit 5 ) and tried to use mozilla and it still did not work ( although this time when I went to site to download mozilla it did not download it just started installing it. I tried firefox again and no internet connection.

All this time Ie has worked

the only other thing that I did was Tech support for mcafee in refrense to not being able to register the virus scan ( she had me change some settings in internet options) but they all changed back after the restore. IE didnt work after her changes but worked fine after the restore (system restore)

I hope someone can help because Gates sux and I dont want to use microshaft for browsing the internet.

metta
WinLin

Post by WinLin »

Since IE can get out just fine, but everything else seems to be blocked, it sounds like a firewall problem, but we would need more info.

Operating system, firewall, macafee version, etc.....
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4 (MOOX M3)
-----------------
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7)
Gecko/20050421 Firefox/1.0.3 (Debian package 1.0.3-2)

Post by Guest »

At this time ALL virus and firewalls are off... Also , only mozilla and firefox do not work.. All other programs ( chats, msn, etc ) work perfectly.
SweetLou

Post by SweetLou »

Don't disable your firewalls. I know that ZoneAlarm will prevent new applications to access the net, even when disabled. I had to reinstall ZoneAlarm once, just to get a browser to access the net. Try turning your firewall back on, then allow access for the Mozilla products.
Burn Linux distro of choice to cd. Place cd in cd-rom, boot. Follow the directions. Enjoy.
Need help? How to ask a good question.

Post by Guest »

The only firewall was the one that comes with windows ( service pack 2) firewall. I will try that real fast ..... hold

I did that and it did not work.... I added mozilla as a program on the firewall that comes with microshaft service pack.

Post by Guest »

I still have the same issue... Remember the issue was same with firewall off or on and with no virus scan on.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Any chance that your McAfee product also has firewall featues?

Post by Guest »

It does not have firewall features and it is not running. I will not put them back on until I get mozilla running.

Post by Guest »

Unless someone says that putting them back will fix the problem LOL
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is suggestion: Someone else had strange connection problems that could not be traced back to anything like firewalls. They ran a program called Winsockfix which solved the problem. You can get it at www.majorgeeks.com
There are no guarantees, but report back on how it works.

Post by Guest »

I got the program and ran it. It fixed some things and then rebooted. When I returned to the enternet IE worked and Mozilla still would not connect to the internet.

Ug!
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

What error message are you getting? Are you behind any other hardware, like a router?

Post by Guest »

I am on Centurytel dial up. I hav a basic connection ( using proxy setting for direct connection in settings for mozilla ).

I have no router. I have nothing else in the way of software that is keeping me from connecting.

Post by Guest »

I even deleted mcaffee ( it is not on the cpu now) until I get this issue resolved I wont put it back on.

Post by Guest »

Im getting worried that my problem cant be fixed. :(