Error Message EVERYTIME

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
willietaylor

Error Message EVERYTIME

Post by willietaylor »

Everytime I try to log into certain website that require user name and password I get something like tis pop up.... ERROR ESTABLISHING AN ENCRYPTED CONNECTION TO " edit.eurpoe.yahoo.com" ERROR CODE : - 8075
Why do i get this and this is with more that one site I could name quite a few so it is not related to a ISP or server.....I have been trying to use Firefox for two months but this is doing my head in and I feel it would be better returning to IE for at least it was stable
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Let's see. "Encryption" deals with security, yes? So...

Tools | Options | Advanced | Security

Do you have any options checked?
Last edited by makaiguy on March 7th, 2005, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
willietaylor

Post by willietaylor »

Have done as you suggested and can confirm that in Security I have all SSL's ticked......any other ideas
James

Post by James »

In Firefox: Tools->Options->Advanced (or Edit->Preferences)
Validation/ocsp
Make sure this is checked [v] "Do not use ocsp for certificate validation"

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/options#advanced

Restart Firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit ... slerr.html
SEC_ERROR_CERT_BAD_ACCESS_LOCATION -8075 "The location for the certificate status server has invalid format."
willietaylor

Post by willietaylor »

Hi thanks for that.........so far so good and it works.........your a star and if all goes well in next 24hrs I will thank you again.............no more IE........great
beartenor1

Post by beartenor1 »

Would somebody make this post Sticky. I've been trying to solve this problem for weeks.
chris the dweeb :)

error message

Post by chris the dweeb :) »

Thanks james your advice worked spot on m8,it was driving me mental thnx again
c John Hayes

Post by c John Hayes »

[quote="makaiguy"]Let's see. "Encryption" deals with security, yes? So...

Tools | Advanced | Security

Do you have any options checked?[/quote]

I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly .I'm trying to say thank you for your help on solving this error problem. your suggestion worked 100%.
I'm new to Mozilla and a real novice with computers.I'm impressed with the speedy response
Thank you again, John.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

De nada. We all have to start somewhere. Glad you got it working.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
BiffsDream05

Similar Problem...

Post by BiffsDream05 »

I've just downloaded FF today and keep getting the Security Warning "The information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party...." etc...

I've already checked the "Do not use ocsp for certificate validation" option in Tools->Options->Advanced

I'm using XP, and would love to switch from IE to FF, but not if there is no encryption over my connection.... Any help is appreciated!
makaiguy

Re: Similar Problem...

Post by makaiguy »

BiffsDream05 wrote:I've just downloaded FF today and keep getting the Security Warning "The information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party...." etc...

I'm using XP, and would love to switch from IE to FF, but not if there is no encryption over my connection.... Any help is appreciated!

FFox uses up to 256 bit encryption if the site at the other end is set up for it. I've read that this is 2X the level supported by MSIE, but don't know if that's true.

But you will only have an encrypted transmission if the site at the other end is set up for it. That's what that warning is for - to inform you that there will be no encryption for your transmission when you are not connected to a secured site. Then it's up to you whether you still want to send the data.
Doug Wilson
BiffsDream05

Doesn't seem to make sense...

Post by BiffsDream05 »

Thanks for your response.

But I get the warning so often, I don't see how this browser can be so popular(?) For instance, when trying to access the hotmail website, or even logging onto THIS FORUM, I'm sending "unencrypted info"!! Is the 256-bit encryption so rare on the web that I would have to accept the risk on a majority of sites? Doesn't seem right....why wouldn't Mozilla Firefox itself be set up for it? Is there a setting I may have missed?

Thanks Again
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Biff -

FFox IS set up for it. It will kick in automatically when the site at the other end is an encrypted site.

But you should not be seeing this warning when dealing with normal non-encrypted sites (i.e. MOST websites). The only time I get a warning about sending unencrypted data is when I have been on an encrypted site (bank site typically) and move out to a non-encrypted site - it alerts me to the fact that I'm no longer on an encrypted page.

I've been using this for so long that I no longer recall, but is there not a checkbox on the warning popup to prevent seeing this message again?
Doug Wilson
BiffsDream05

Makai...

Post by BiffsDream05 »

Yes, there is a checkbox, but I hesitate to ignore the warnings until I see if I'm staying with FF, -based on how many of my normally visited websites are unencrypted. Seems to be a lot, including email sites! Would it be better for me to just use MSIE for those unprotected sites, since their encryption is 128-bit as you said, which is better than NO encryption if I visit those sites with FF?
...still don't understand why I'd be getting the warning when logging onto this forum(?)

Thanks for your help!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

You haven't got it yet.

Nearly all sites are unencrypted. Usually only those that deal with sensitive information, such as banking sites and sites where you transfer credit card information are encrypted.

If the site is not encrypted NO browser uses encryption when going to it. If the browser were to use encryption when going to an unencrypted site, your transmission would not be understood when it arrived.

The only difference between MSIE and FFox in this regard is that FFox is telling you that most sites are unencrypted and MSIE is not. When the site DOES use encryption, FFox is capable of providing a much higher level of encryption than MSIE does.

Just turn off that notice like 99.999% of FFox users have and you'll be happy.
Doug Wilson