History don't auto delete

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
PGx

History don't auto delete

Post by PGx »

I have history set to 3-days, yet I have history including all of January. Prev. I deleted other earlier months. What's going on? Is this a bug?
Platon_

Re: History don't auto delete

Post by Platon_ »

See if this will hep.
The setting in the options dialog is to store history for at least the number of days that you choose. To set a maximum number of days you need to change a hidden setting.

Type about:config into the location bar and press enter. This brings up a list or preferences.
Locate the preference browser.history_expire_days, double-click on it and change the value to the maximum number of days to keep the history.
PGx

Post by PGx »

Thanks Platon_. Done. I noticed that "at least" - what the heck it that about? Clearly something changed in one of the versions - why? Seems counter-intuitive and misleading to say the least. What am I missing?

Thanks again.
Platon_

Post by Platon_ »

Sorry, I can't answer that question. I am missing the point too :|
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yes, it is kind of a strange way to handle History. Seems to me that it would be very simple to add another line in Options to have "Keep no more..." or something like that in addition to the min. Some of the "basic" settings in Firefox seem to be "non-user" friendly.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
PGx

Post by PGx »

Even though I set browser.history_expire_days = 3. I still see "last 7 days" history, although I no longer see January. What the heck???
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yes, but the 3 days that you have set it to "are within" the last 7 days... that's why it displays. When you look at the exact history within that 7 day line you should only see his. for the 3 days that you set.... look at the dates.
PGx

Post by PGx »

How can I see the dates for the history items?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

On your Menu line... Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks and then when that window opens up ... in the upper left hand corner the History stuff is displayed... click on the 7 days line and history will display in the right pane. If you don's see Visited date there then you need to add it to your display...by right clicking on the header of that right pane and choosing what you want displayed.... or clicking on View and making changes there.
PGx

Post by PGx »

OK, thanks very much. As you say, only the last 3-days. Good!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You're welcome.
PGx

Post by PGx »

In FF6 the above no longer true. i.e. browser.history_expire_days no longer exists(?), but there is a browser.history_expire_days_min & browser.history_expire_days.mirror. I have both set to 3, but not sure what good they are or what they actually do. All my history since March is still there. I only want 3-days of history saved. What do I do?

TIA
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
PGx

Post by PGx »

Thanks for the links.

I think it is outrageous that FF doesn't allow you to set a time limit on history. I want the last 3 days of pages only. I don't want to have to manually delete my history each day for anything older than 3-days. I do not want to NOT track history. Why would the FF developer's be so obstinate on this point?