New tab opens bing search , don't want

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
yiffy

New tab opens bing search , don't want

Post by yiffy »

I have firefox 3.5.8 when I open a new tab bing search is there " search the web enhanced by bing " I don't want this I just want a blank page when I open a new tab .. how do I do this

Thank you .
LoudNoise

Re: New tab opens bing search , don't want

Post by LoudNoise »

First, does it happen in safe mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If not it is being caused by an extension or toolbar. Best guess --SearchToolbar 1.2.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
jeffeverde

Post by jeffeverde »

LoudNoise wrote:First, does it happen in safe mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If not it is being caused by an extension or toolbar. Best guess --SearchToolbar 1.2.

Same issue here -- When a new tab is opened, the page looks like a basic Google page, but instead of saying "Google" the "title" link is for MSN Games, and the search box is actually a Bing search. Beneath the search box, the "fine print" reads
-- "This page is operated by Oberon Media. More info: Privacy Policy | Legal Notices"

Also, there is no page address listed in the address bar.

This happened after downloading a game from the MSN Game sight -- retracing steps, I see that it actual came from Oberon-Media.

I do not have SearchToolbar installed.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You may not have SearchToolbar, but you have installed stuff from Oberon Media which also adds things and changes settings. I would bet that it either installed a toolbar in Firefox or hijacked your search settings in About:Config

Post by Guest »

Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > Remove oberon toolbar and restart Firefox.
wallawalla

Post by wallawalla »

I think I found it- it's a work-around as well but it seems to work. In about:config there are two lines that start with extensions and involve "newtab" - set the string value on those to your choice of page. Then change the value for newtaburl.new_url to 1. You should get whatever you put as a value in those two extensions for your new tab.
trshay

Post by trshay »

Look at add-ons. Mine was data manager 1.0. I disabled it and all works well.
steinbok

Post by steinbok »

I've checked all the options that have been stated here. None of them apply to me. However, I do get the unwanted, uncalled for, bing search engine. I don't want it. Any other ideas on how to get rid of this garbage?
kashyap

Post by kashyap »

yiffy wrote:I have firefox 3.5.8 when I open a new tab bing search is there " search the web enhanced by bing " I don't want this I just want a blank page when I open a new tab .. how do I do this

Thank you .
angbob

Post by angbob »

I posted on this at "by angbob » Aug Wed 24th 2011 8:12pm"
Whatever attacked my Firefox 4 also attacked my Internet Explorer 8.
Shaded

Post by Shaded »

Well after opening Firefox, I typed " about:config " in the address bar. A notice will pop up that says your warranty may void if you continue. I clicked the button that says: "I'll be careful, I promise!". Once the list of browser based booleans, integers, and strings comes up, go to the filter bar and type in "bing". If you still want the search bar in the far upper right corner of Firefox to have (bing) as a search option,keep the following 'string' with the value listed as bing.

browser.search.order.3

Delete everything else.

This will remove the (bing) icon from the tab, but will not get rid of the search bar itself. Your cursor will still default to the still there search bar, and any search will then appear in the (bing) main website. NOTE: One piece will be your home page, it won't delete itself.

Now to get rid of the search piece, go to the still remaining search page that take the place of a blank tab.
If you right click the page and choose "view page info" a box with tabs will appear that say things like: General, Media, Security, etc. The address for the search page [there may be two] should have the phrase "zugo" in them. This phrase is the key.

Close Firefox, and open up the "Start" menu click "Computer", check on the left side menu to make sure that "Computer is elected, not "Library" or anything else. Go to the search bar in the upper right, and type the phrase "zugo" let it search and delete anything you find.
But, still there is more. Where it says "search again" under your results, click the paper icon with the writing next to it that says, "File Contents" Once that search is done, delete any results that you may. Close the window.

Reopen Firefox
Open a tab
You should have a blank white page that has no search bars, and your cursr should default to the URL address bar.

Please Reply if this was helpful.

Shaded.

P.S. I know this might have been a little long but it is the only as I could figure out.
TheBeachBum

Post by TheBeachBum »

yiffy wrote:I have firefox 3.5.8 when I open a new tab bing search is there " search the web enhanced by bing " I don't want this I just want a blank page when I open a new tab .. how do I do this

Thank you .

This just start happening to me...

B 4 U answer, PLEASE read the problem CAREFULLY. This IS NOT an address bar problem... The address bar and its default search engine space were not changed. The web page area that was blank in a new tab now contains a Bing Search window. I did not ask for or want this and would like to know how to remove it...

Thanks, in advance... BB
Shaded

Post by Shaded »

Well,
I am guessing you didn't even look for what I specified, you just glanced at what I wrote and disregarded it as worthless. How about you give it a go if you are so irritated by the bing engine. I am perfectly happy, especially since I got rid of mine. :P
jday1960

Post by jday1960 »

Thanks Shaded. Great detail on your suggestion. I went to the about:config , filtered for Bing, all went well, hoever I can't select or delete any of the binf filter results. Any suggestions.
theparrothead

Post by theparrothead »

Guest wrote:Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > Remove oberon toolbar and restart Firefox.

This worked just fine. Thank you.