Are firefox fonts fixed in Firefox 7?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
awaisuk

Post by awaisuk »

Hey,

I am talking about the blurry fonts that started from Firefox 4.

Are they fixed in Firefox 7 with hardware acceleration ON?

Thanks.
KWierso

Re: Is firefox fonts fixed in Firefox 7?

Post by KWierso »

Fixed-ish. Some fonts are defaulting to GDI-style rendering, which makes them look more like they used to.
awaisuk

Post by awaisuk »

I still see blurry....someone know when they fill fix this so it shows as normal such as in Google chrome?
cheat2win

Post by cheat2win »

gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode;2

If you don't know what I'm talking about, do this:
Type about:config in the url bar, confirm that you'll be careful, and change the "gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode" string to "2". If you don't have that specific string, just create a new one with that name.
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

Grammar genocide.

Anyway, "fixed is a relative term". I already got used to the Firefox 4 rendering type, and the old type looks ugly to me.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

awaisuk wrote:I still see blurry

Try getting glasses? :P

Seriously though, yes they are "fixed" now. In fact I would say their solution is superior to Chrome's and that the font rendering is the best of any browser.
awaisuk

Re: Are firefox fonts fixed in Firefox 7?

Post by awaisuk »

So when you say they are fixed, are they fixed in Firefox 6 or 7?
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

If you set the "gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode;2" to "5" you get the old behavior? Or you need more adjustments to do? I mean it's a bit more complicated than I say so, eh?...
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
awaisuk

Post by awaisuk »

Which rendering mode are you guys using? Are all of you guys using 2?
xan K

Post by xan K »

awaisuk wrote:So when you say they are fixed, are they fixed in Firefox 6 or 7?

The way I've seen it, FF6 still has the blurry fonts. Firefox 7 is way better but sill not as crude and sharp as Chrome which I think still uses GDI. Firefox 7 is not as sharp as Chrome but fonts look more polished, like anti-aliased.

I'm running Firefox in it's vanilla state. I haven't even typed "about:config" in the address bar. :lol: #-o
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

The "fix" is only applied when the rendering mode is -1, which is the default value. It automatically determines the best mode to use depending on the font family and size.
jimhoyle

Post by jimhoyle »

I would confirm that Firefox 7.0.1 still has a blurry font problem. I'm not sure if it's just slightly improved from 4/5/6, but I am not happy. Chrome is considerably better. For example this forum text is more bold in Firefox than Chrome. That's not the main problem though, the main problem is in reverse text, for example letter w is almost half-invisible in the Find box (white text on red or blue background). Also the Downloads window with blue background color makes the white text really badly visible and ugly. And the color fringing, it is ugly. Color fringing or the lack of it is just fine in Chrome.

I tried gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode from -1 to 5 and none of those gave Chrome-like or Firefox 3-like rendering. I don't mean it has to be exactly the same, but I can't bare the reverse-thinning-out-problem. Also the overall over-boldness and color fringing is not good at all.
Anleck

Post by Anleck »

I guess the font rendering type is a matter of personal preference (different monitors may also play a role in what looks best to you).
Having gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode set to 4 is best for me.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=652141 has a table of the available options.
Last edited by Anleck on October 5th, 2011, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terepin

Post by Terepin »

awaisuk wrote:Hey,

I am talking about the blurry fonts that started from Firefox 4.

Are they fixed in Firefox 7 with hardware acceleration ON?

Thanks.

There is nothing to fix, this isn't a bug and certainly it isn't FX's fault. Get your facts straight.
Hope dies penultimate. What remains till the end is sarcasm. And I have plenty of it.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Not fixed, devs still don't want to fix this by using old not bugged and not blurry rendering mode like other modern browsers...
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.