FF6 won't ever open router admin; IE9 does instantly

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gopher John

Re: FF6 won't ever open router admin; IE9 does instantly

Post by Gopher John »

jcarerra wrote:
LIMPET235 wrote:...D/L & run this small enumprocess app. (created by trolly, a moderator here) & post the results back here.
> http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/ ... numprocess

I went there but all it does is display an image; no tool to dl???

Went to the site--same thing; I see no place to dl it. Confused.

Links are at bottom of the site page.
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/EnumProcess.exe
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

LIMPET235 wrote:...D/L & run this small enumprocess app. (created by trolly, a moderator here) & post the results back here.
> http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/ ... numprocess

Found the tool through a web search.
Which selection in the right side dropdown should I run?

'simple' produces--
Windows Firewall is off
firewall process from Comodo detected
1 processes from Symantec Corporation detected

I don't like the symantec hit; I thought I had removed all of Norton that was on the Toshiba when I brought it home.
Last edited by jcarerra on August 29th, 2011, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

Go to http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ and scroll down to the Symantec listings. Choose the links to the remover for your former Symantec product. The link is to Symantec's own site and their official removal tool, not a third party offering. The INFO link beside explains how to use it.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

Gopher John wrote:Go to http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ and scroll down to the Symantec listings. Choose the links to the remover for your former Symantec product. The link is to Symantec's own site and their official removal tool, not a third party offering. The INFO link beside explains how to use it.

I got and ran the removal tool. It ran OK--no errors or strange messages. Rebooot required afterward. Still three Symantec processes running,
2 instances of ccSvcHst.exe
1 of SymcPCCULaunchSvc.exe
in C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton PC Checkup\Engine\2.0.10.26
part of "Symantec Service Framework" which Symantec clearly does not want you to uninstall.

But this is taking us off track. Let's focus back on not being able to open the router admin page.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Can you plug your computer directly into the router using a cable and open the admin page?
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jcarerra wrote:But this is taking us off track. Let's focus back on not being able to open the router admin page.

This is what people are focusing on. Troubleshooting is done by elimination of variables.

Does your wife's PC, which works on this, also have traces of Norton on it?

jcarerra wrote:Not the router. I just checked using my wife's computer and it opened the router admin using Firefox just fine. It also has Comodo on it.

If it is something the firewall is doing, I cannot find it. I have looked at the filters for both the firewall side and the Defense+ HIPS in it--I see nothing I can identify that would stop it. Also, see nothing in the logs identifiable as the stopper--but there are many things uninterpretable, e.g., a block on xyz.exe where xyz is not a recognizable exe. But clearly, it is not working, so something is set wrong in either Windows or firewall I think.

I remember, I think, that it is nearly impossible to disable Comodo--it keeps something still loaded (or was that Zonealarm???? hmmm, not sure)

I suggest you get rid of those Norton traces.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

Frank Lion wrote:I suggest you get rid of those Norton traces.

Fine. How? (Although I have no reason to suspect this relates to this problem--it just came up because it showed in the EnumProcess run.)

I ran the Norton removal tool which was supposed to remove all Norton, but it did not remove this. And Symantec Service Framework is not shown in Programs and Features--so no removing it there. Indeed, no Symantec or Norton things show in Programs and Features--nor in Start Menu.

Will try the direct connect later...have to move to different room, etc. This computer (2 wks old) has never been direct connected to anything.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

RobertJ wrote:Can you plug your computer directly into the router using a cable and open the admin page?

OK, I moved it to the back room and cabled it to the router,
Turned off the wireless transmitter.
Verified in ipconfig /all that the wired connection was in use.

FF fails as before to connect to the router admin page.
IE connects to it fine.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

PROBLEM SOLVED:

In Options>Privacy tab, turn OFF "Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked" and it works fine.

Whew. Who would have ever guessed that could cause such a problem.
James

Post by James »

jcarerra wrote:In Options>Privacy tab, turn OFF "Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked" and it works fine..

Turn off as in uncheck it?

I have this checked and my AirLink 101 AR504 used as a switch and connected to the D-Link DIR-615 work just fine on Firefox.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

James wrote:
jcarerra wrote:In Options>Privacy tab, turn OFF "Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked" and it works fine..

I have this checked and my AirLink 101 AR504 used as a switch and connected to the D-Link DIR-615 work just fine on Firefox.

Yes, off as in uncheck it.

Apparently, then, it gives fits to some routers and not others. I clicked it off, hit the router, bang!...admin page appeared.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

James wrote:

Having it checked hasn't impeded my ability to access my Linksys WRT54G either. Odd that it would, as my router has never set a cookie, etc.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

I believe that your routers work with Options>Privacy tab>"Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked" checked. Mine simply didn't...WRT120N.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

That seems to be a bug in the router. The problem has been noted before. http://www.google.com/search?sclient=ps ... tnG=Search
iMark7777777

Post by iMark7777777 »

good news and bad news.
as of Firefox 22 this was still a problem, at least for me with a TP-LINK POCKET MR3020.
the good news is that it completely works, if DHCP is on. posting.php?sid=3585381766d60fd05a8578b94105f9e3#
as soon as DHCP is disabled, the router page Will continuously load and load and load… posting.php?sid=3585381766d60fd05a8578b94105f9e3#
turning off do not track fixed it, however it was only after a browser restart that I was able to access the page again.