SVG support

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
przemko

SVG support

Post by przemko »

Hi!
It seems that SVG viewer (Adobe) does not work with FF. It works with IE, Opera and even worked with my old Netscape.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

It works for me, not for all SVG though.
Some of the script used in Adobe/IE is not javascript but jscript (M$-only) , so FF won't interact like IE in those cases.
Did you copy:
SVG6RR.dll = Adobe SVG-6 runtime library
SVG6RFF.dll = Adobe SVG-6 runtime library
NPSVG6.dll = Adobe SVG-6 runtime library
into your plugins directory ?
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
ntd

Post by ntd »

Are there any cool used of SVG out there? I've wanted to see what SVG is all about, but I can't find anything useful to look at besides proof of concepts and ugly demos.
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

No, SVG isn't used much simply because it is not widely supported, and it thus doesn't appeal to a very wide audience. However, with pioneer projects such as native SVG-support in Firefox (which is in the works, you can get a build with quite basic SVG-support <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/">here</a>) and Adobe Reader, it's possible that it'll be used more in the future.

Currently, everyone uses flash anyway, and SVG is used primarily for application and development use.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams
pljones

Post by pljones »

MOOX CE is built with SVG. I thought Mozilla Firefox was going to be built with SVG enabled by default, too (not sure where I read that).

One reason so much of the SVG on the web doesn't display in Firefox is that much of it doesn't conform to the W3 SVG specification - it's missing a small but vital attribute on the document root tag. See this (closed) bug for my thoughts ;-).
RAMDrive

Post by RAMDrive »

I was having problems viewing my m0n0wall traffic graph with FF 1.0 untill I coppied the above files, however it was SVG 3.0. The file names were the same except the number.

Thanks for the help...
SilentBomber

Post by SilentBomber »

what is SVG?
dirtyepic

Post by dirtyepic »

google knows.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051223 Firefox/1.6a1 ID:2005122304
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

To repeat what Peter(6) said, you have to copy some files for it to work.
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#AdobeSVG
ehume

Post by ehume »

hao2lian wrote:To repeat what Peter(6) said, you have to copy some files for it to work.
Copy from where?

Did a Google search and found them here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SVG Viewer 6.0

Put the dll's in the plugins folder and now FF is SVG-enabled--I can see examples from the W3C site on SVG.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Foxtrot wrote:No, SVG isn't used much simply because it is not widely supported

Heh, maybe not in Windows but its certainly used in Linux as is really the next way to go.

przemko, SVG are completely scalable vector graphics. Check out the wallpaper section of KDE-Look.org.

Wallpapers like:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=19342
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=19121
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=19064

are some awesome examples of SVG. They are supported in KDE as backgrounds which means you can release a single sized wallpaper and have it scale beautifully in any resolution. SVG is really outstanding in so many forms. Just because Windows is behind in the times doesnt mean these new standards arent going to be put to their potential.
przemko

Post by przemko »

Guys, thanX! I am using some bioinfromatics servers and some of them implement SVG but apparently poorly. Indeed some SVG sites mentioned above I see without any problem. The problem persists however with the sites I need for my work. Since they require a login I cannot give you pointers but I will contact the site managers and tell them what I have learned here.
ThankX again!
pljones

Post by pljones »

I'd suggest that's related to the bug I linked. Most SVG content is created without the appropriate xmlns and the Mozilla approach is to require this or fail to parse the XML as SVG.
ehume

Post by ehume »

A little OT, but Sodipodi 0.34 is now available for Windows, but the distro produces an impaired first shortcut and a dll problem. The shortcut problem is easily fixed by going to the installation directory and making a new one. And while you're there, make a copy of zlib.dll and name it zlib-1.dll. This fixes the dll issue.

I have compared png's exported from sodipodi and the GIMP. The sodipodi exports are more accurate, which is hardly surprising.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
pljones

Post by pljones »

Ooh! Thanks for mentioning sodipodi -- I didn't know about it. Looks really nice. It feels responsive and has a lightweight UI.