Get rid of "install missing plugins" popup toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FastEd

Get rid of "install missing plugins" popup toolbar

Post by FastEd »

Is there a way to get rid of this annoyance. I've already installed all the plugins I want and don't want this reminder. I did a search but came up dry.

Regards, Ed
realusrhlp

Post by realusrhlp »

i agree with this!! Hope it can be made!!

truely is as bad as having pop ups!
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

I think this is what your looking for.

user.js

//* Turn off plugin display bar notice
user_pref("plugin.default_plugin_disabled", false);
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Not quite.
If you set that to false, instead of getting a missing plugin alert, Firefox will prompt you to download the embedded file itself instead. That is what the default plugin does.

However, if you also delete the default plugin, that should work: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 320#939311
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Vectorspace wrote:Not quite.
If you set that to false, instead of getting a missing plugin alert, Firefox will prompt you to download the embedded file itself instead. That is what the default plugin does.

I haven't seen this behaviour. I guess I have the plugins I need for the sites that I have visited so I can't verify. Would you have a site that doesn't require the Quicktime, Shockwave, Real type sort of plugins? I have seen sites that don't think I have QT or Real installed, but only saw the 'get plugin' thing on the web page and not a "popup" prompt.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

If you want to test it, just close Firefox, set the preference to true, move all the files out of the Firefox plugin directory, and then run Firefox and visit any site that needs a plugin. I've only seen it work with a website that needs the Real Player plugin myself, but then I haven't tried others. I would think it applies to all plugins.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Naw...I don't need to go that far to test it. I trust your findings. All I can say is that the pref is working fine for me at this point and it must be that I have the right plugins installed. :mrgreen:

You guys can try the user.js code if you want and make your own decision.

Thanks Vectorspace for the heads up if you don't have the plugins you need installed.
FastEd

Post by FastEd »

Bozz, vectorspace, thanks for the tips. I seem to have gotten rid of it for good. Be nice to see a "don't show this message in the future" checkbox on a future revision.

Regards, Ed
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

For future reference, what did you decide to do? I want to bookmark this thread.

Post by Guest »

Bozz, I toggled "plugin.default_plugin_disabled" to false and added .bak to the npnul32.dll file. The only complaint I have now is the install plugin placeholders seem to stay on top of webpage dropdown menus. An example is the "forums" dropdown on www.dpreview.com, I would prefer to be able to read the menu. Do you know of a way to fix this? As I recall this was not a problem before making the above changes.

Regards, Ed
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Don't know for sure. Try changing the pref back to true and leaving the dll renamed to .bak.