Firefox 6.0.1 - No Safe Mode option

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
portyporty

Firefox 6.0.1 - No Safe Mode option

Post by portyporty »

Recently installed 6.0 and just upgraded to 6.0.1 a couple minutes ago.

Had a recent Firefox freeze (caused by nvata.sys, I think, but that's another matter)

Thought I'd start Firefox in Safe Mode and dump the half-loaded pages, but there's no Safe Mode
on my XPPro Start Menu for Firefox. Start > Programs > just leads to a single listing - "Mozilla Firefox", with no 'split' to two options, as it usually does.

Is there no Safe Mode in this version? Or is there another way to call it up, ie, command line or something?

Re: Firefox 6.0.1 - No Safe Mode option

Post by Guest »

I think holding the shift key while firefox is launching may load it in safe mode. If you get a box related to safe mode with check boxes, normally you should not check any of the boxes. You can also create your own shortcut to launch firefox safe mode if you know how to do that, make the shortcut normal and then do properties and change the "target" to say the firefox.exe followed by -safe-mode
Or, you can do it from the command line, go to program files \ mozilla firefox, then type firefox.exe -safe-mode

Firefox has not been creating the start menu safe mode shortcut for a long time.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

That Start menu item for the SafeMode has been gone since Firefox 4.0 came out. As the guest mentioned, you can open the Firefox SafeMode by holding the Shft key when launching Firefox, or by using the Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
portyporty

Post by portyporty »

Thanks guys. I went straight from 3.6.15 to 6.0 so I missed a lot of partying :-)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I just checked it. It also runs from a command line, as always.
firefox -safe-mode

I don't recommend it, however, as it gives you a menu with some dangerous and useless check boxes. I don't think Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled is quite the same thing as the full-blown safe mode, because it lacks the dangerous options. I would say they've made a considerable improvement here.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on September 2nd, 2011, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I just checked it. It also runs from a command line, as always.
firefox -safe-mode

I don't recommend it, however, as it gives you a menu with some dangerous and useless check boxes. I don't think Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled is quite the same thing as the full-blown safe mode, because it lacks the dangerous options. I would say they've made a considerable improvement here.

Wait, the menu item version doesn't give you the menu of choices when it starts up in safe mode?

It does for me...
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

Firefox 6 is my default browser on this WinXP Pro machine. On the Start Menu, right clicking on the Firefox icon gives 4 options, one of which is Firefox Safe Mode. If Safe Mode is chosen, then the window with all the check boxes VanillaMozilla mentioned is presented.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Gopher John wrote:On the Start Menu, right clicking on the Firefox icon gives 4 options, one of which is Firefox Safe Mode.

Interesting. Not here. There are no such options from any icon, either on the desktop or from the Start Menu. I don't have an icon on the Quick Launcher.

For user support I suggest just starting from the Help menu, which is available to everyone, regardless of OS or icon configuration.

KWierso wrote:It does for me...

Oops, you're right. The menu with the options does appear when you click through.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

VanillaMozilla, I'm not talking about the Firefox icon in the Start Menu Firefox folder but the one that is pinned to the Start Menu.

I may get the choice because I right clicked on the Start Menu and customized it thru Properties. Select the Start Menu tab and hit the Customize button. I have Firefox set there for Internet and Pegasus as E-mail.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

That's interesting. I suppose if you poke around enough you will find unexpected behavior almost everywhere, especially on these overly complicated systems.

I was referring to the Start > Programs menu, for which the menu you are referring to does not appear. For supporting users I suggest that we refer people to the Help menu, which everyone has, and which does not require any customization.