Updater will not turn off

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bnther

Updater will not turn off

Post by bnther »

For some reason, the windows security window is popping up everytime I open Firefox for the first time and asking me "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to the is computer?"
No, I do not.
I've gone into the Tools and found the Updates tab and turned everything off. This had no affect. I also tried going into the Mozilla folder and locating the updater.exe and deleting it. This did stop the Windows security pop-up but then Firefox informed me that it couldn't find the updater file and will be downloading it automatically. (How nice of it to do that for me :lol: )

So exactly how do I get this to go away...or do I need to find an older version of Firefox to install?
KWierso

Re: Updater will not turn off

Post by KWierso »

Why don't you want to install the security update that protects you from compromised websites?
bnther

Post by bnther »

KWierso wrote:Why don't you want to install the security update that protects you from compromised websites?

Thanks for the reply.

I have had issues in the past where things stop working after an update.

The issue I am having is currently resolved. It seems that once an update is 'queued' it will continue to try until it is successfully downloaded. Now that it's downloaded, the Windows pop up window has gone away - despite the fact that I no longer have the update.exe file to implement the download.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the reply.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

There have been many posts on many fora lately with people complaining about something in the profile not working after an update. Until there is some remedy for the automatic update destroying things in the profile, I do not think it should be pushed onto users like that.
James

Post by James »

bnther wrote:
KWierso wrote:Why don't you want to install the security update that protects you from compromised websites?

Thanks for the reply.

The update is only to 6.0.1
AnonymousBczILikeIt

Post by AnonymousBczILikeIt »

EVERY update is to a number higher than the current release... it's not an "only" issue when updating makes it so you have to roll back your computer EVERY time. Perhaps, you are just REALLY lucky that this doesn't happen to you but the other 88 billion people in the world... it's a very big issue. I just had to uninstall 6.0.1 and rollback my machine to fix issues caused by this update... now I want the updater to stop highjacking my web browser... really thinking of switching to something else.

James wrote:
bnther wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The update is only to 6.0.1
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

So you personally know another 88 Million people...I am impressed.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

EVERY update is to a number higher than the current release... it's not an "only" issue when updating makes it so you have to roll back your computer EVERY time. Perhaps, you are just REALLY lucky that this doesn't happen to you but the other 88 billion people in the world... it's a very big issue. I just had to uninstall 6.0.1 and rollback my machine to fix issues caused by this update... now I want the updater to stop highjacking my web browser... really thinking of switching to something else.

I've been updating Firefox every single day for the last three years or so. Other than some temporary flukes introduced in the previous day, no real problems to report.
xed

Post by xed »

malliz wrote:So you personally know another 88 Million people...I am impressed.

I'm even more impressed.
AnonymousBczILikeIt wrote:Perhaps, you are just REALLY lucky that this doesn't happen to you but the other 88 billion people in the world... it's a very big issue.

Didn't know there were that many people, much less computer users in the world.

At any rate, I haven't had any problems with updates and I've been updating each time with the same profile since 3.6 came out. Could have been even longer, but I decided to start off clean with 3.6 (imported my bookmarks from html file).

Sure is nice to have a browser so dependable and easily fixable if and/or when need be.
"Doin' right ain't got no end." Cap'n Red Legs
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

As a last resort:

I know WinXp Home Edition users can in OS Safe-Mode, deny Firefox 'updater.exe' privileges to 'run or execute' for all administrative OS user profiles.

1. Start Window Xp Home Edition in OS Safe-Mode.

2. Go Right click on updater.exe and go to Properties > Security > Advanced.

3. Click on Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> OK.

4. Repeat for all OS user profiles.

5. Reboot your computer normally.

Note: On WinXp Pro it's done differently than above...

I had to do that on my WinXp "friend or guest" OS user desktop account profile to keep them from do any updating to Firefox and made the Extension Folder 'read only' in OS Safe-Mode also to prevent them from installing extensions or themes. I know I could of restricted there OS privileges in a different way, but I was already doing something else in Os Safe-Mode at the time and it was just faster to go ahead and do it that way.
James

Post by James »

AnonymousBczILikeIt wrote:EVERY update is to a number higher than the current release... it's not an "only" issue when updating makes it so you have to roll back your computer EVERY time. Perhaps, you are just REALLY lucky that this doesn't happen to you but the other 88 billion people in the world... it's a very big issue. I just had to uninstall 6.0.1 and rollback my machine to fix issues caused by this update... now I want the updater to stop highjacking my web browser... really thinking of switching to something else.

A minor update like 6.0.1 should not cause any problems with Extensions if they are set with the proper maxversion like say 6.0.* and was still basically the 6.0 release but with the the root certificate for DigiNotar being revoked.